More RAM For SSD

chiangrai

I had a Samsung  SSD put into my Netbook.

Than I downloaded the Samsung software to  optimize

the SSD's performance,

It told me that my computer didn't have enough RAM for

what they called "rapid mode".

I know of three ways to increase RAM.The first is have it installed

by a professional.The second is increasing virtual RAM in SYSTEM,

which I think I've all ready done.And the third way is in this video.

My problem with this method is that when he says to open windows

memory diagnostic I find that I have deleted it from my classic shell

start menu.

I have tried uninstalling classic shall but it still  has the same settings when

I reinstall it.

I know that I haven''t given all the information you need to tell me what to do

so please ask but what is the easiest way out of this problem.

and the third is

How much RAM does your netbook currently have?

Does it fell slow or are you happy with the performance?

I have an old netbook and upgrading the RAM from 1 to 2 hardly made any differences as the Atom processor is the bottle neck.

Youtube video...  OMFG, some people are SO gullible.

From an overclocker's website:

"RAPID mode is a form of RAM caching for the SSD. Being as such, RAM is faster than an SSD by multiple orders of magnitude"

AKA Virtual RAM Disk

but you need A LOT OF FREE MEMORY to utilize it.

Do you have 16GB or 32GB installed on the system. Cause, that's what you'd need. 

Edited by RichCor

My SSD software says "available RAM is less than the minimum memory required(2GB).Rapid mode can not be

enabled.

In my SYSTEM  it says "installed RAM 2GB-!.83 useable.

I have changed the virtual to max 4000mb and 8000mb min.

What do you think of this video.

Also why can't I get Classic Shell to install without activating my new settings.

18 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

I have changed the virtual to max 4000mb and 8000mb min.

?

Windows knows perfectly well how to manage your virtual memory. Put the setting back to the default "system managed size" and stop b*ggering about with things that you dont understand.

@chiangrai,

RAM is actual hardware RAM.

VIRTUAL MEMORY is where the OS reserves a chunk of DISK SPACE to EMULATE RAM, and is nicknamed 'Slow Memory'.

VIRTUAL RAM DISK, or Samsung's SSD RAPID MODE is where an OS DRIVER reserves a chunk of actual hardware RAM to CACHE or EMULATE A HARD DRIVE. 

The last two items use the other to emulate and extend itself.  While you can turn both on, it would be very stupid to do so.

As for the video...  did you read any of the YouTube comments????????????

The guy in youtube video puts out all kinds of bogus videos (April Fools type videos) because many people will fall for the videos.  One video he put out regarding increasing ethernet/LAN cable speed by taping a bunch of double A batteries along its length.

You simply do not have enough available RAM...you need at least 2GB which you don't have since your computer is using a part of it for basic functions.  Really you need at least 4GB of RAM to get Rapid Mode to work effectively.  I have a couple of Samsung SSDs (and 840 and 850)....both are running with Rapid Mode with 8GB of RAM but one of the computers only had 4GB for a good while when using it no problem with Rapid Mode.

You simply need to add more physical RAM to your Netbook if possible.  

Is there a limit to how much physical RAM  on  that can be installed on my machine.

What is the minimum extra I need on top of my existing 2GB.

How much does it cost.

And is there a big difference in speed when rapid mode is activated.

If you look up the SPECS for whatever netbook you purchased, it will state what's standard (as shipped) and its max capacity (what can be put it).

Usually, it involves removing the current SIMM/DIMM(s) (RAM Modules), throwing them away, and inserting new higher capacity SIMM/DIMM.  These netbook motherboard should specify the exact module specs.

Note, that if you had purchased the Lenovo 100S or Lenovo MIIX 310 then it's max is 2GB DDR3L RAM.

But you were already told that in this thread.

SSD Upgrade...........
Started by chiangrai, August 14, 2016

...so what laptop DID you end up purchasing?

ACER R3-131T-P4AA (Aspire R 11)

MEMORY: Single SODIMM slot, DDR3L 2 GB (minimum) / 4 GB (standard) / Up to 8 GB (maximum)

GRAPHICS:  Intel® DDR3L (Shared graphics memory)

MEMORY SPEC:  SODIMM (Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module), 204-pin, Gold Connectors

DDR3L-1600Mhz (PC3-12800) DDR3

~1200* TH฿ for 4GB

~2100* TH฿ for 8GB

* Thai pricing may be higher.

...so you can remove (and toss) the current memory module and put in a higher density 4GB or 8GB memory module.

and hopefully you've visited the ACER Support website and replaced the Audio driver for the R3-131T v7719

*** NOTE !!!  IF you have a 32-bit version of Window OS installed the maximum amount of usable memory will vary between 3GB and 3.5GB. You will need to install a 64-bit version of the Windows OS to realize any real memory above this limit. 

How to upgrade RAM on the Acer Aspire 11 convertible notebook

10/09/2015 at 12:04 PM by Brad Linder 4 Comments

Crucial.com Acer Aspire R3-131T compatible upgrades
....example memory manufacturer website. Many other options, just need spec compatible DDR3L module. Just put in your model number in most memory module upgrade websites to receive a quote.