Three killed in head-on motorcycle crash in Kamphaengphet

webfact

Three killed in head-on motorcycle crash in Kamphaengphet
By The Nation

KAMPHAENGPHET: -- A couple and a man were killed when their motorcycles crashed head-on on a dark village road in Kamphaengphet’s Muang district on Monday night.

Pol Major Boonsong Upatham, inspector of Muang Kamphaengphet Police Station, said nobody saw the accident but passers-by found the bodies on the road at 10.30pm.

Boonsong said the two motorcycles apparently crashed head-on in the middle of the rural road, which had no lighting, in Moo 13 village in tambon Angthong.

The impact of the crash caused parts of the motorcycles to be scattered over the road.

The body of Prasit Phansuwan, 27, was found over his motorcycle.

The bodies of Ratchaphum Meemak, 19 and his wife, Piyamas Sukchuen, 25, were found beside their motorcycle.

Boonsong said the couple were apparently riding out of the village and the other motorcycle was coming the other way.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318567

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-20

9 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

Crashed headon?  Did no one have their lights on?  There is something missing from this story, including the speed involved.

You ask did they not have lights on, well many Thais have bikes with no lights.

A new light costs 60 baht, why waste money on that.

My wifes bike had no light for over 3 months, when i asked her why do you not get it fixed, her answer no time, and they cost money.

Sadly that is how Thais think.

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My wifes bike had no light for over 3 months, when i asked her why do you not get it fixed, her answer no time, and they cost money.

I had the misfortune to drive through UDon THani , after darkness fell last night, there were huge numbers of motorcycles without lights, either front or rear, they obey no rules of the road , are driving at high speed. Just before darkness fell,  theschools were just coming out, a policeman stopped me to let 2 very young children cross over the road, as they got to the opposite side, they were almost hit by a motorcyclist who screamed past on the left hand side of the road. The policeman merely shouted at him.  

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

If you made 300 baht a day, and had less than 50 baht a day in discretionary money left over after necessities, this may not seem as outlandish.  

You may not get it, but your wife has a lifetime habit of being frugal.  Count yourself lucky.  Some wives would buy a shiny new scooter instead of replacing the bulb.

My g/f's teenage son (lives in a village with his father) was driving a car at night when he smashed into his friend riding a motorcycle without lights, killing him instantly. Both were too young to have licence. A small amount  (B40,000??) was paid to the dead boy's family and the matter settled.

AFAIK there was no BIB involvement. If there was, from past experience I expect that they would have brokered the deal and took a commission - 10% seems to be standard.

Compared to what would happen in Oz, the whole thing seems ........bizarre, perhaps. OTOH, AFAIK everybody is reasonably happy with the settlement.

It has nothing to do with the cost of the light or lack of time, it has a lot

to do with the culture, mentality and 'this is how my forefathers did ; attitude...

and oh yeah, the good al' my pen Rai mantra 'it's not going to happened to me'....

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you made 300 baht a day, and had less than 50 baht a day in discretionary money left over after necessities, this may not seem as outlandish.  

You may not get it, but your wife has a lifetime habit of being frugal.  Count yourself lucky.  Some wives would buy a shiny new scooter instead of replacing the bulb.

But they can afford motorbikes and certainly have mobile phones. I have great sympathy for the poor but many thousands of Thais go around without lights and have 60 baht for a bulb.

They simply are too irresponsible and see no connection between their lights and possible death. 

They don't realise headlights serve a dual function - they let you see and let others see you.

BTW must be a <deleted> trying to ride in the dark with instrument lights impairing night vision. Perhaps they don't work either.

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sorry you do not know what you are talking about.

Life time habit of being frugal:cheesy:

She has more money than me.

17 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

But they can afford motorbikes and certainly have mobile phones. I have great sympathy for the poor but many thousands of Thais go around without lights and have 60 baht for a bulb.

They simply are too irresponsible and see no connection between their lights and possible death. 

I'm not agreeing with them.  But I didn't grow up in a place where economics puts people onto 2 wheel vehicles that are 20-40 x as dangerous as the cheapest beater car I drove when I was a kid.

Hell, I don't even agree with sticking a kid on a scooter, much less 2 or 3 of them on one scooter.  But economics are different here than back home.  And it's not so much about irresponsibility.  

What I do think is irresponsible is foreigners sitting on $$$ millions and still choosing scooters, which are 20-40 x as dangerous as their other affordable alternative.  They have a choice and choose the dangerous one.  But I don't judge them, either.  Because for many, it's driven by economics, not irresponsibility.  And I take scooter taxis in BKK all the time because it saves time.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not agreeing with them.  But I didn't grow up in a place where economics puts people onto 2 wheel vehicles that are 20-40 x as dangerous as the cheapest beater car I drove when I was a kid.

Hell, I don't even agree with sticking a kid on a scooter, much less 2 or 3 of them on one scooter.  But economics are different here than back home.  And it's not so much about irresponsibility.  

What I do think is irresponsible is foreigners sitting on $$$ millions and still choosing scooters, which are 20-40 x as dangerous as their other affordable alternative.  They have a choice and choose the dangerous one.  But I don't judge them, either.  Because for many, it's driven by economics, not irresponsibility.  And I take scooter taxis in BKK all the time because it saves time.

You have been eating too much 'Som Tam.

I rather spend 60 baht on Lao Kow than on a new light bulb...!
Chokdee krap.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, DLang said:

They both probably had their headlights painted red.

Is quite the trend round those parts. 

Are you sure the headlights are painted red? Red, blue and green headlight bulbs are very trendy around here.  The really cool guys have only one working bulb on the bike (a coloured headlight), with no mirrors or indicators, all the padding cut out of the seat, razor-blade tyres, and the swing-arm cut so that the rear wheel is as far forward as possible. Oh, and the rear brake disabled.

One clown had fitted a disc alongside the front drum, and a m/cylinder, but no caliper.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Exactly. Why on earth would you spend 60 THB on a motorcycle light when you can buy a nice bottle of lao khao with it?

trouble is many thais refuse to use their headlights of a night on both bikes and cars then drive flat stick, either that or pile crap up that high in front of the light they cant see where they are going or other road users see them. Safety doesnt come into it at all, they have the opinion that everyone else has to watch out for them, this just goes to show that they are all idiots, how fast would they have had to be going to kill themselves and it was late at night, probably p*ssed. It has nothing to do with being poor, most simply disconnect/turn the headlights off or remove the bulbs like they do with their tail lights. All this does is show how many thais have a total disrespect for the law and think it doesnt apply to them. Playing the poor card is crap, they would rather spend their money on anything else than ensuring their safety or adhering to the law

6 hours ago, impulse said:

You don't judge and then say they are irresponsible!

Do you have no understanding that some people actually enjoy riding bike, rock climbing, hang gliding, we don't all live our lives to meet your boring requirements, and actually feel better for that!

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Do you have no understanding that some people actually enjoy riding bike, rock climbing, hang gliding, we don't all live our lives to meet your boring requirements, and actually feel better for that!

Bet they are gliding somewhere now...see no hands...

9 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Crashed headon?  Did no one have their lights on?  There is something missing from this story, including the speed involved.

you need to understand the lack of mentality.................... in my local  village they often bring a herd of cows home in PITCH DARK over 1km, many  a  time ive come round the corner to find "Gertrude" the cow in the road with the herder on his/her motorbike with NO lights on........... many are total and  utter morons

58 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think some  young Thais find it cool to drive without lights.

Up here in my neck of the woods blue lights at the rear and no lights on the front is cool right now.  This is why I have yet to go out at night on my Forza which I believe has very good lights.  I feel a lot safer in the Vios.

I see everyday motorcycles with no tail lights. Sometimes I see motorcycles with no headlights and driving opposite way. 

What do you expect ? Some editors kill some others + taking own life.

by the way, stupids drive so fast with no lights. 

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

I judge the action.  Not the person's entire life.

And I have no problem with anybody doing what they enjoy, even if it is 20-40 x (That's 2000-4000%) more dangerous than getting around the other way.  I do it, too.  But I get irritated when they then turn around and rag on others for adding a small increment of danger by doing it without a helmet (adds 40%) or without lights (I have no clue).  Hopping on the scooter was the dangerous decision.  The other factors are nowhere near as onerous.  

Try this.  Get on here and try to convince people you enjoy riding a scooter with your hair waving in the breeze.  You'll get dozens of responses calling you everything but a sane man for riding without a helmet.  Yet, that's just another choice people make based on what they enjoy.

I also get a little irritated reading from people who spent their career in a country where the average GDP per capita is 10x what it is in Thailand, and then feel the need to criticize how the Thais manage their money.  Just about everyone tuned in here has pissed away more money than the average Thai will ever see.  Try supporting a family on 300-500 baht a day and see if you don't feel just a little bit different about spending money on scooter parts exactly when the part fails.  May take you a day, week, or month to spend that 60 baht, too.

I ride scooters, I water ski, I scuba dive, sea kayak, fly small planes, and do a lot of other dangerous things.  Enjoy the hell out of them.  Have no problem with anyone that does even more dangerous things. And if I feel the urge to voice my opinion that they're doing something irresponsible, I put it in civil terms, specific to the action, and not about their whole being.  You won't find me here ragging on them, or questioning their IQ and spending priorities, or whether their parents had a brain in their head.  

Edited by impulse