Thai students warned against working in Singapore entertainment venues

webfact

Thai students warned against working in Singapore entertainment venues
By The Nation

f478315032b8d2874a1def87b6f493d4.jpeg

DOE director-general Waranon Pitiwan

BANGKOK: -- Thai students working as “singers” and “models” at entertainment venues in Singapore during school breaks are violating the law and can be punished by a fine of up to Bt490,000 or two years in jail or both, warned the Labour Ministry's Department of Employment (DOE).

DOE director-general Waranon Pitiwan said the agency had learned from students who had worked at the venues that students were lured with the promise of payments of up to Bt400,000, a round-trip plane ticket and accommodation.

Pitiwan said such work was illegal because people must obtain a work permit for performing artists valid for up to six months, which was issued by Singapore’s Labor Ministry and which enabled the permit-holder to be protected by the Employment Act.

He said people entering Singapore on a tourist visa and working without a proper permit faced, if caught, a maximum fine of S$20,000 (Bt490,000) and/or up to two years in prison. 

He said if a person overstayed their visa, they faced a prison term of up to six months and at least three cane strikes.

Thai students must not believe those trying to convince them to work illegally there, he added.

He also urged people wishing to get more information about working abroad to contact DOE branch offices, the Bangkok's DOE area 1-10 offices or call the hotline 1694.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318580

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-20

47 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Thai students working as “singers” and “models” at entertainment venues in Singapore

He forgot to mention the horizontal artists.

I think that's why the words ''singer'' and ''model'' were in inverted commas...

Most of these "Singers" are not really Singers, they just look pretty and go on stage and a customer likes them, he will buy a flower (cost 10, 50, 100, 1000, 10,000) SGD to gift the Singer. Then the singer will go off stage and accompany the customer for while before moving on the next table.

If 2 customers like a particular singer or model on stage, bidding war starts. Chinese Singaporeans have to win, cannot "lose face..."

the "Coyotes" which are actually Nung Drink Hostesses that accompany customers for fun n drinks which usually are what these students go there for. 

They will try to get the customers to buy them drinks or shots for a commission. they have a target to hit everynight. and once they hit the monthly target, they will get what was promise to them as salary and commission.

Not all these Singers, Models, Coyotes prostitute themselves. it depends on whether they like you or not. Some customers can spend thousands of dollars and get nothing except accompaniment in the club. While some who don't spend anything at all, end up getting like by these girls and get a free pass in bed. 

It's very touch and go. What I can say is, if 1 doesn't have much money to spend. Stick to the bar fines in Patpong and pattaya or just walk around in geylang Singapore. There are websites and forums offering sexual services for Thais, Singaporeans and many other Nationalities as well in SG. Its much easier and less complicated. 

Why leave the country! Good looking and quite young, can surely get a job as a "singer" or a "model" in Thailand.

I know! The money!

The 3 most important things in life:

1. Money

2. More Money

3. Economically independant

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

amount of thai hookers in singapore and korea is shocking. Not seen any singers though lol

There are plenty of Thai singers working in Golden Mile Complex though most western visitors to Singapore will never have heard of it, similar to the way many western visitors/residents to/in Thailand never see past Sukhumvit or the Pattaya slums.

Edited by Laab Muu

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Why leave the country! Good looking and quite young, can surely get a job as a "singer" or a "model" in Thailand.

I know! The money!

The 3 most important things in life:

1. Money

2. More Money

3. Economically independant

You are right. The real good looking ones already got a "Pa" or "Sia" to look after them in Thailand and hence don't need to go overseas at all.

Those that can't have to take to risk!

or some that I know of don't want anybody to know they work like this so prefer to go overseas where nobody knows them and take it as a vacation.

39 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

There are plenty of Thai singers working in Golden Mile Complex though most western visitors to Singapore will never have heard of it, similar to the way many western visitors/residents to/in Thailand never see past Sukhumvit or the Pattaya slums.

Yes, and plenty of Thai hookers work there, too. Always avoiding the place like the plague. I really don't need Thai pubs, nor Thai singers, nor Thai supermarkets, nor Thai restaurants, nor Thai layabouts while being away from Thailand for a few days.

Yes, and plenty of Thai hookers work there, too. Always avoiding the place like the plague. I really don't need Thai pubs, nor Thai singers, nor Thai supermarkets, nor Thai restaurants, nor Thai layabouts while being away from Thailand for a few days.

But you keep coming back for them?

3 minutes ago, tonywillo said:

The fines and imprisonment are not enough. A good stern canning should be added to the sentence 

They only cane medically fit male offenders in Singapore. Thus, only a threat to ladyboys...

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Thai students working as “singers” and “models” at entertainment venues in Singapore

He forgot to mention the horizontal artists.

"A Dance is a vertical expression of a desire for a horizontal expression"  (George Bernard Shaw).

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

I hadn't realised this thread was about what you need when away from Thailand for a few days.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

6 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

I live and work in singapore, hookers to singer ratio is like 100 to 1 . No avoiding fact that most illegal thai entertainment workers are not singers or models lol .

10 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I don't know which country protests their high morals more, Singapore or Thailand?

In reality, trying to stop this trade rather than regulate it is like trying to hold jelly in your hands, difficult and pointless!

Agree, no religious values can stop the demand n supply of this trade. N who r the main bulk of customers here? Stop blaming the farangs and aliens. 

The big massage complexes along ratchapisek road are top obvious.

Regulation brings tax and revenue to the government. It offers health and safety checks. There will at least be guidelines and age limits to prevent exploitation of minors.

And how come Thailand is still refusing to embrace it fully when it has already been spreading its back door all along. 

1 word. Money

apart from the usual bashing, some thought could be given on the following:

1) if I was Thai..

2) if I was a girl

3) if I needed cash,  as most do

"would I have risked the venture same or not?".....honestly?

Good thing however that the authorities warn the girls on what they risk.

If not, Thailand could risk sanctions from Singapore for not controling illegals.