Phuket cat blamed in Chinese driver wipe-out

webfact

Phuket cat blamed in Chinese driver wipe-out

Eakkapop Thongtub

1497934050_1-org.jpg

Xu Zhongneng, 31, said he swerved to avoid running over a cat while driving to Phuket INternational Airport to pick up friends. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Chinese man to Phuket International Airport in the early hours of this morning (June 20) to pick up friends has blamed a cat crossing the road for his pickup truck wiping out and hitting a power pole broadside.

Capt Chatree Choowichein of the Thalang Police was notified of the accident, on Thepkrasattri Rd northbound near the Tha Reua Shrine, at 2am.

Capt Chatree arrived at the scene with Srisoonthorn rescue workers to find the Bangkok-registered pickup slammed sideways into the power pole.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-cat-blamed-in-chinese-driver-wipe-out-62657.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-20

Why do Thai roads all have equipment like power poles so near the edge of the road? It poses great danger to car users in collisions, from electric shock, they are not protected by barriers and they don't break off like in Western countries. They also don't allow pedestrians to use the footway (few though they are) as they all have street furniture blocking them and they don't go around corners but just peter out.

This guy, and the cat, were very lucky to get out alive.

I do not get people who crash their vehicles trying to avoid a small animal.

I do not swerve for anything smaller than a Moose, a Bear, or Horse, Cow, or Buffalo (Bison)

Why wreck your vehicle for this reason?

Geezer

10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I do not swerve for anything smaller than a Moose, a Bear, or Horse, Cow, or Buffalo (Bison)

Geezer

you start with a big animal and then list a number of smaller animals... so what is your actual cut off point size wise??

maybe go with "I would swerve for anything bigger than a..." and then just choose one animal.

also most people are smaller than all of the animals you listed- do you have a policy on vehicle damage in this case?

Edited by stegee

Geezer

I think it's instinct to avoid hitting anything whatsoever tbh

Geezer

A third world person cares about not hitting a cat ? ?  

52 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

I think it's instinct to avoid hitting anything whatsoever tbh

I agree with that. It's just driver instinct to avoid any object on the road.  

Although I would qualify that a driver should be driving at a speed able to brake safely within visual distance of any obstacle. 

Edited by LivinginKata

The animals I listed are all big enough to total a car or truck if you hit them.

A dog or cat may hurt the underside of the car a bit, so why swerve  a vehicle for

a small animal or lizard or snake. That is my point..  cut off size  would be a large dog

like a Great Dane,  or  Irish wolf hound.

Geezer

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The animals I listed are all big enough to total a car or truck if you hit them.

A dog or cat may hurt the underside of the car a bit, so why swerve  a vehicle for

a small animal or lizard or snake. That is my point..  cut off size  would be a large dog

like a Great Dane,  or  Irish wolf hound.

Geezer

What about midgets? Avoid or full throttle hit?