I Just Got Back From Poi Pet With 4th Stamp

Isn't this all getting rather pendantic and splitting hairs?.

My case: WP and non imm B.

Severly bust my foot 3 months ago and have been room ridden since then.

So, WP and B not renewed.

My dint of the folks I work with (Thais) I get to the border three times for 30 days stamps.

Every one is numbered and highlighted and the third one has an additional notation from the Imm guy.

Basically ( I don't have a scanner here but can write in Thai script if you want), says, "quota" - or translation thereof.

That can mean many things to many people:

He was extremely polite and did not say that I could not do this again, but, I may have to prove income as I am obviously walking wounded and being aided by a couple of Thai compatriots. However, what am I living on?.

As I say, he was extremely polite and well mannered and it seemed no big deal.

I should be back in the work place in a couple of weeks so that will be resolved but I would not fear another 30 day chop if there is a valid reason for it and this brings us to the point:

It is the lack of "proovability" (Is there such an abverb?). that they are looking for.

In my particular case there is a valid reason for not working and there are valid funds from our company to support me and pay the medical bills.

One point though and worthy of notice, and, this is not rascist in any way: There were three Israeli guys got a right roasting and ten days each.

A scruffy and right sarf Londoner got seven days (foul mouthed idiot).

An Aussie guy in t-shirt shorts and flip flops and obviously the worse for wear got carted off to return to get stamped out and told 'Not come back'.

The new regs are, I believe the standard Thai smokescreen.

Remember the Chinese merchant who in the late 1600's wrote a book about his dealings with Siam and called it the 'Land of Mirrors'.

Thais are lovely people - be nice to them and they are nice to you, and that is exactly what we do in my home country ( Scotland).

Anyway, my opinion only and may I wish all members of TV a very sociable and enjoyable Hogmanay and a happy and prosperous New Year.

Cheers,

Couthy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dint of the folks I work with (Thais) I get to the border three times for 30 days stamps.

Every one is numbered and highlighted and the third one has an additional notation from the Imm guy.

Basically ( I don't have a scanner here but can write in Thai script if you want), says, "quota" - or translation thereof.

He was extremely polite and did not say that I could not do this again, but, I may have to prove income as I am obviously walking wounded and being aided by a couple of Thai compatriots. However, what am I living on?.

I should be back in the work place in a couple of weeks so that will be resolved but I would not fear another 30 day chop if there is a valid reason for it and this brings us to the point:

It is the lack of "proovability" (Is there such an abverb?). that they are looking for.

In my particular case there is a valid reason for not working and there are valid funds from our company to support me and pay the medical bills.

One point though and worthy of notice, and, this is not rascist in any way: There were three Israeli guys got a right roasting and ten days each.

An Aussie guy in t-shirt shorts and flip flops and obviously the worse for wear got carted off to return to get stamped out and told 'Not come back'.

Remember the Chinese merchant who in the late 1600's wrote a book about his dealings with Siam and called it the 'Land of Mirrors'.

Thais are lovely people - be nice to them and they are nice to you, and that is exactly what we do in my home country ( Scotland).

Anyway, my opinion only and may I wish all members of TV a very sociable and enjoyable Hogmanay and a happy and prosperous New Year.

Cheers,

Couthy.

Thanks for the info Couthy. Which border did all of this happen?

Cheers,

Couthy.

Thanks for the info Couthy. Which border did all of this happen?

Ban Laem - Thai / Cambodia.

As I said, very polite, decent and obviously not on the look for real people, but in the Thai expression -heh-heh, the 'unusually rich" and those of no means to prove an income.

And before anyone starts getting on a high horse here (as I am sure some will), I would suggest that even a letter from a language school suggesting that vao applicant is undergoing instructor training would suffice.

No, I am not a language instructor.

However, in 14 years of dealing with Thais, they are very humane and warm people - up to a point.

If you can justify yourself, then you are o.k.. If you are a w*nker they see straight through you.

And are treated accordingly.

Cheers,

Couthy.

i really do not care if they give me 7 days and a boot - what i will go ballistic about is them marking up my passport -because they cannot keep it all straight.

i very well might write the embassy about this.

attempting to enter a country is not a misdemeanor. if they dont want me, give me time to sort myself out and i will go. it is that simple.

NOTE: i have a pp 48+24pp. it used to be a blessing till all this visa nonsense popped up. it was such a mess that officials did not bother to sort it out. last trip to malaya and cambodia both imm's took much harder look at it - and asked questions. i even spoke malay and khmer to them -freaking harsh they were. i never get asked questioned... so im getting a new pp.

Edited by jinjok

I thought the way it was supposed to work is that you got 90 days, regardless of entry stamps - then 90 out of the country.

I belive that it is 90 days (no matter how many VOA stamps you have) in any 180 day period, rather than 90 days and you're out for 90 days. This would mean that you get a 0/0 start every 180 days irregardless of how many days you have on VOA stamps.

But IMHO this is too far out to try to predict what will actually happen. We're just beginning to see what happens after 90 days on VOA stamps!

But surely it has to be a rolling 180 days.. Again this is a nightmare to calculate, over month ends etc.

Counting from Jan 1 and resetting on Jul 1 makes no sense IMO..

I thought the way it was supposed to work is that you got 90 days, regardless of entry stamps - then 90 out of the country.

I belive that it is 90 days (no matter how many VOA stamps you have) in any 180 day period, rather than 90 days and you're out for 90 days. This would mean that you get a 0/0 start every 180 days irregardless of how many days you have on VOA stamps.

But IMHO this is too far out to try to predict what will actually happen. We're just beginning to see what happens after 90 days on VOA stamps!

But surely it has to be a rolling 180 days.. Again this is a nightmare to calculate, over month ends etc.

Counting from Jan 1 and resetting on Jul 1 makes no sense IMO..

Visit the immigration website ( sorry, i forgot the link) and it states that only 90 days are permissible in any 180 day period. The new rules are being calculated from your first entry AFTER October 1st. I was in BKK until the 14th Oct, left to go do some work to pay for my teeraks extravagant lifestyle, and returned on the 16th November. That stamp was highlighted with green marker but nothing was put on my previous stamp so I assume the 180 day period starts on the 16th Nov and the 14 days of Oct are not included into the mix.

But.............could be wrong.

reading through this shows how confusing it must be for the immigration guys, i am here on Non-B (working) with 12 month visa's and just do the usual 90 day reporting, i leave the country quite often but every time i return i have to show them where to find my last visa info etc

Much ado about nothing as I just got back from Poi Pet with my 4th stamp since Oct 1 and not a word was spoken. My stamps are as follows:

Oct 3

Nov 1

Dec 2

Dec 29

Just as a matter of interest, what would you have done if they had refused you entry??

Good luck to you even though I think you are playing a dangerous game :o

And just when does this Visa on Arrival end?

Bob

To add to the debate, I arrived in Bangkok today from Hong Kong, and they went through my passport numbering and highlighting in fluorescent yellow all the stamps from October.

So far, I have

11 Oct - 9 Nov (marked 1)

13 Nov - 8 Dec (marked 2)

8 Dec - 6 Jan (they must have missed this one as they didn't mark it)

Todays visa 1 Jan - 30 Jan (marked 3)

By my rough calculation, the last stamp should only have been till the 20th or so.

More concerning was their insistence on seeing my boarding card stub before letting me off the plane gantry and into the airport. I spent a good 15 minutes faffing about before they let me through. No idea what the point of that was...

James

More concerning was their insistence on seeing my boarding card stub before letting me off the plane gantry and into the airport. I spent a good 15 minutes faffing about before they let me through. No idea what the point of that was...

James

Were you on a flight - eg CX - that was going on somewhere else, such as Singapore. If so, the boarding pass stub routine is to separate out transit passengers from arrivals.

To add to the debate, I arrived in Bangkok today from Hong Kong, and they went through my passport numbering and highlighting in fluorescent yellow all the stamps from October.

So far, I have

By my rough calculation, the last stamp should only have been till the 20th or so.

James

For some reason Thai Immigrstion require production of the boarding pass at the immigration entry desk. Some people dump their boarding passes during the flight. Possibly the process that you describe deal with people who have losted/dumped their bording passes. It would be helpful if airlines warned passengers of Thai Immigration before the flights take off in the country of origin.

For some reason Thai Immigrstion require production of the boarding pass at the immigration entry desk.

I'm pretty sure the boarding card routine is to prevent people trying 'airport' border runs. You could quite feasably, buy a one-way to somewhere cheap, get stamped out, miss your flight deliberately, spend a few hours airside, walk down to arrivals and get stamped in again, much less hassle than a run to Cambo etc.

I've always held on to my boarding cards, they're handy to show the UK tax man to demonstrate you've been out of the country.

they have gone back and forth on this bpass issue but its full on now. DONT misplace it as i almost did last yr.

but marking up the pp?!?!? this tells me that even in the new airport:

computers were down

computers CANNOT calculate days correctly

there is no computer system in place

they have gone back and forth on this bpass issue but its full on now.

No, they apparently are still going back and forth. I arrived last night and was not asked for a boarding pass. I was watching other Immigrations officers at different podiums and they didn't ask either.

The reason I was so alert was that I lost my boarding pass on the airplane and was trying to see if it would be a problem. It wasn't.

they have gone back and forth on this bpass issue but its full on now.

No, they apparently are still going back and forth. I arrived last night and was not asked for a boarding pass. I was watching other Immigrations officers at different podiums and they didn't ask either.

The reason I was so alert was that I lost my boarding pass on the airplane and was trying to see if it would be a problem. It wasn't.

I've flown into Bangkok perhaps a dozen times, and I've never been asked to show my boarding stub. This is the first I've ever heard of it.

So far, I have

James

What happened with Stamp "marked 2"? It's for 26 days only (13 Nov - 8 Dec)...was it dated 13 Nov- 12 Dec?...and you did the early visa run?

Edited by tropo