Brian Davidson, British Ambassador talking about top 3 UK priorities in Thailand this year 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

List of aims:

1. Stock up with good old British tea. Tetleys and such. None of that rubbish in Thailand.

2. Find a bakery that makes tea and crumpets. Jam would be a welcome extra (strawberry).

3. Increase all fees for all services. We are not a charity you know.

4. Make it as difficult as possible to get an appointment

5. If there any crisis or issues, pop the kettle on. Nothing that a good cup of tea won't fix.

6. Maintaining the stiff 'upper lip' chaps and chap-asses.

Tally - Ho !

3 priorities ?

1. Fail   A fair and open society and tackle corruption???
  2. Fail   In trade? mega import duties remain, do you think that is how it should be?
  3. Fail    A quality professional service, by how? farming out the services to an Indian (?) contractor?

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

List of aims:

1. Stock up with good old British tea. Tetleys and such. None of that rubbish in Thailand.

2. Find a bakery that makes tea and crumpets. Jam would be a welcome extra (strawberry).

3. Increase all fees for all services. We are not a charity you know.

4. Make it as difficult as possible to get an appointment

5. If there any crisis or issues, pop the kettle on. Nothing that a good cup of tea won't fix.

6. Maintaining the stiff 'upper lip' chaps and chap-asses.

Tally - Ho !

Sorry Sir, but you missed the three most important ones.......

1 - Find the finest golf course closest to the residence

2 - Make sure the aforementioned club accepts corporate business rates so the taxpayer can pay ( entertainment expenses you know....what..)

3 - Find a cheap and reliable Gin and Tonic supplier.

Edited by AhFarangJa

Utter hogwash, about as convincing as one of the old party political broadcasts we used to see on tv but at least they were amusing.

what planet is this halfwit with a very suspicious accent from? 

After parting with obscene scene amounts of money in taxes for a serious number of years I ( stupidly) thought I would benefit in my autumnal years. How stupid can one be, I am refused entry into my own embassy grounds by a flicking foreigner who barely speaks intelligible English , I will be in receipt of a reduced pension ( it matters not how much I paid in but for how long - oh that makes sense!) which will remain at the same level right up until I croak. Yet if I had been a lazy unemployed git I would get a full pension. Tough to relate to that. 

Bah ah I give up

36 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I wonder how many of the 50,000 British ex-pats who live here, think that the Embassy provide a professional service.

If they provided a service it would be a start, the professional bit will take a little longer

Mr Davidson you are talking out of your backside.:cheesy:

Professional service from your staff at the embassy, yea ok.

What about when my wife contacted you for help when i was in a coma, and the answer she got was !! not our problem !!

Edited by colinneil

27 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Utter hogwash, about as convincing as one of the old party political broadcasts we used to see on tv but at least they were amusing.

After parting with obscene scene amounts of money in taxes for a serious number of years I ( stupidly) thought I would benefit in my autumnal years. How stupid can one be, I am refused entry into my own embassy grounds by a flicking foreigner who barely speaks intelligible English , I will be in receipt of a reduced pension ( it matters not how much I paid in but for how long - oh that makes sense!) which will remain at the same level right up until I croak. Yet if I had been a lazy unemployed git I would get a full pension. Tough to relate to that. 

Bah ah I give up

Frozen pension? You and all the Brits here. Meanwhile those back in UK who paid nothing get full benefits. Proud to be British? Hardly:post-4641-1156694606: 

You know there are times when I seriously consider just going back to the UK and throwing myself on the social services for a house, money , NHS, transportation etc but until I become of pensionable age, I will go on the dole. That way my old age pension will be topped up by the government and not me and I will still get a better pension for contributing nothing. 

Just now, The Dark Lord said:

You know there are times when I seriously consider just going back to the UK and throwing myself on the social services for a house, money , NHS, transportation etc but until I become of pensionable age, I will go on the dole. That way my old age pension will be topped up by the government and not me and I will still get a better pension for contributing nothing. 

You and me both mate, just imagine what help i would be entitled to being a paraplegic.

Just now, colinneil said:

Sad fact is this clown is supposed to be representing British interests here.

Well start representing the interests of the British people living here, or is that to much to ask?

Sadly clowns in such exalted places and if such importance rarely, if ever, get their perfectly manicured fingers dirty by dealing with common folk such as you and I.

i am utterly disgusted by the response your wife got from those inbreds when you were  in a coma, that is the sort of story that should be sent to the press in the UZk to show just how uncaring these self effacing gits are. 

I apologise for seeming emotional but i but I am bloody blazing, I knew they were indifferent to us but to that disgusting extent.....

Rather different to Sir Anthony's opinion the Ambassador 50 years ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/6365249/Secret-letters-disclose-true-views-of-British-ambassadors.html

Sir Anthony Rumbold, who served in Bangkok for two years until 1967, wrote in his missive that Thailand had "no literature, no painting" and "hideous" interior decoration.

“Nobody can deny that gambling and golf are the chief pleasures of the rich, and that licentiousness is the main pleasure of them all,” 

Edited by Orton Rd

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You and me both mate, just imagine what help i would be entitled to being a paraplegic.

Are you fair skinned? If affirmative, you and I would struggle like  hell there. Arrive with a UK passport and be ignored, arrive with none and be welcomed

I am am touched by your posts here, we occasionally differ in our views but remain ( well you do) civilised and circumspect. You must face some huge challenges here with your condition but as a balance must have a fantastic wife . I wish you both the very best.

Appointments for UK consular services need to be made online and assumes a good internet connection.  From my Sukhumvit hotel it took 2.5 hours for the page to fully load to the stage I could select a date and confirm.  Went on the day and they didn't have me on their list and suggested I hang around a while before finally telling me to go away and try again, total waste of time.  Compare this to the Canadian Consulate (I have dual nationality) no appointment, walked straight in and was professionally dealt with straight away.

Slightly off topic, but one wonders what the reaction would be if the British expats invited the media and demonstrated for full pensions outside the British Embassy? No more than five in a group mind:saai: 

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

I wonder how many of the 50,000 British ex-pats who live here, think that the Embassy provide a professional service.

Certainly no one who's ever had the misfortune to have to use them.....

Mr Davidson is a civil servant and ought to base his priorities on the wishes of those he is meant to serve. I have sympathy for him because funding from the UK Govt will have been cut to the bone and he is essentially having to make the best of a bad job. He seems to have spent quite a bit of time putting himself in the spotlight recently and I am uneasy about that. I am not sure what his agenda is and how it impacts on his "customers".

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You'd probably qualify for a flat in a high rise block in the rough end of Kensington almost immediately, although there is a little delay at present owing to an unforeseen local difficulty.

2 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Bah ah I give up

Your're right - now where is that accent from?

Would that professional service be the response from your consular service when I enquired about British nationality for my daughter?

Your professional service said a flat no. They were totally wrong.

They are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Sad fact is this clown is supposed to be representing British interests here.

Well start representing the interests of the British people living here, or is that to much to ask?

As an ex employee of our esteemed foreign service, I'm ashamed to say that representing the interests of normal Brits living abroad are very near the bottom of the list.

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

To be honest, here is one! Never had a problem with the Embassy staff at all - my only complaint is the amount of money you have to pay them for a bit of paper!

Edited by sambum