Mens dress sense

superal

15 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I appreciate your candor. Seriously for a while, we brought quite a few pair of jeans and dress shirts with us from America. My wife has measured half the jeans out to be cut into, oh my god, shorts and hemmed. I kept a few for my O/A welding hobby or odd jobs around the house and a few for immigration or other functions. I do wear a dress shirt now and then. Half the time tucked in and ,oh my god, half the time hanging out. We just bought a pair of the black Thai dress shirt and pants while visiting Bangkok last month when we went to pay our respects to the king. That will do for special Thai or special temple occasions. Maybe I will get another of those Thai collared shirts in white. I hope I don't have to ever pull my suit out that we brought from America. Otherwise, it's shorts, t-shirts hanging out, and socks with sandals/slipons/crocks. I found out that if I don't wear socks, the bottom of my feet get crusty, cracked, and I have to put up with a long painful healing process. So you "never wear socks with sandal dudes" can just stick it. I suspect that some of the guys posting on this subject, or other subjects come to think about it, just do not get out much past the bars, beaches, golf courses, or other unmentioned places and are blind to the fact that most Thais, when not in uniform, do dress casually in shorts and love to wear t-shirts hanging out. I have everything COVERED to my satisfaction. You guys can live in your dream world if it makes you happy. I really am not impressed by your closed minded opinions or care to emulate your lifestyle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, yesterday had to run a bank errand.....Got there half an hour too early so walked into the mall & grabbed a drink at the food court to wait....

Not one Thai man had long pants on out of 30+ walking around there.....The mall maint guys/employees did - and many more women shoppers did = 40%?......

Thought - mystery solved.....Walked outside to go to the bank & waited around a couple of minutes.....There walking around outside where the first 5 Thai guys I saw were all wearing long pants.....

All in all probably a fairly representative ratio......

• Like 1

Oddly enough, yesterday had to run a bank errand.....Got there half an hour too early so walked into the mall & grabbed a drink at the food court to wait....
Not one Thai man had long pants on out of 30+ walking around there.....The mall maint guys/employees did - and many more women shoppers did = 40%?......
Thought - mystery solved.....Walked outside to go to the bank & waited around a couple of minutes.....There walking around outside where the first 5 Thai guys I saw were all wearing long pants.....

All in all probably a fairly representative ratio......

I guess change to shorts when entering a mall?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

For me I hate going to a half decent restaurant and see other patrons dressed like slobs in T shirts, wife beaters, flip flops and beach shorts. Yuk.

As for sandals and socks, that depends on the condition of one's feet. Some people have serious skin conditions  which require protection plus they are so disgusting looking you want to vomit. It would be preferable that they wear suitable shoes, trainers etc.

But a fun topic anyway. Yes, I do tuck my shirt except when wearing an aloha shirt.

About 50/50 here....I like the tucked in shirt style (although some look better out), and my wife likes the outside shirt look....I adjust per the shirt/pant/color combination.....

My feet appearance & nails never got gnarly here so lucky in that regard....If they did I'd cover them...

Hawaiian shirts - I have a few nice ones & should probably think about wearing them more....Usually only on the beach & Songkran....Just don't think about wearing them much....

• Like 1

For me I hate going to a half decent restaurant and see other patrons dressed like slobs in T shirts, wife beaters, flip flops and beach shorts. Yuk.

As for sandals and socks, that depends on the condition of one's feet. Some people have serious skin conditions  which require protection plus they are so disgusting looking you want to vomit. It would be preferable that they wear suitable shoes, trainers etc.

But a fun topic anyway. Yes, I do tuck my shirt except when wearing an aloha shirt.

As you said, pants, shirts and shoe styles depend on where you are going but I usually wear ankle socks. I do save my long gray tube socks for my jeans. And yes, some people have alergic reactions to long term contact with leather and rubber. There again, some people just love to wear socks regradless of the footwear. Nothing looks so low class to me as someone wearing expensive penny loafers without socks. It's really funny when people get so upset over personal preference like there is some kind of law and they are the only ones that are so important that they have been given the duty of determining and regulating that law. This does seem to apply to many subjects posted on TVF.

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

By all means let's take our dress cues from pro golfers

Ian-Poulter.jpg

3afbd8fe856ab34232ac9f2aef1bdc5c--john-daly-golf-pictures.jpg

I believe it was Tiger Woods who said golf is the only sport where white men can dress like black pimps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

I guess that's what happens when crap piles up.

Well then surley if you have that much crap in your life a good humoured thread is exactly what you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

About 50/50 here....I like the tucked in shirt style (although some look better out), and my wife likes the outside shirt look....I adjust per the shirt/pant/color combination.....

My feet appearance & nails never got gnarly here so lucky in that regard....If they did I'd cover them...

Hawaiian shirts - I have a few nice ones & should probably think about wearing them more....Usually only on the beach & Songkran....Just don't think about wearing them much....

The Hawaiian type shirts you refer to are normally cut short in the length and are designed as a casual outside of the trouser/shorts but what amuses me is when I see a mature guy wearing his ordinary plain shirt outside of his trousers and the shirt tail is halfway down his legs .

One more to add to the list --------started by the younger generation is the trousers/jeans etc hanging below the waistline to reveal their underwear . Now there is definitely a cutoff age for that :shock1:  . Incidentally I think my dad may have started that trend as he would quite often appear with his "y fronts " underwear riding high above the top of his trousers and his shirt tucked into his "y fronts " .    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, superal said:

The Hawaiian type shirts you refer to are normally cut short in the length and are designed as a casual outside of the trouser/shorts but what amuses me is when I see a mature guy wearing his ordinary plain shirt outside of his trousers and the shirt tail is halfway down his legs .

One more to add to the list --------started by the younger generation is the trousers/jeans etc hanging below the waistline to reveal their underwear . Now there is definitely a cutoff age for that :shock1:  . Incidentally I think my dad may have started that trend as he would quite often appear with his "y fronts " underwear riding high above the top of his trousers and his shirt tucked into his "y fronts " .    

Yeah - depends on the build and the shirt design....

I had mine made so don't have the long tails hanging = squared off so can go in or out....

I'm also 6'4" so can carry it off better than other's might be able to.....

5 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - depends on the build and the shirt design....

I had mine made so don't have the long tails hanging = squared off so can go in or out....

I'm also 6'4" so can carry it off better than other's might be able to.....

So lol if your short your screwed.

Well then surley if you have that much crap in your life a good humoured thread is exactly what you need.

The only crap I have too much of is here on this forum such as your assumptions.

15 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

The only crap I have too much of is here on this forum such as your assumptions.

Easy cure do one. No assumption here only reying to your statement you grumpy kill joy please do one

A find that so many of posters ignore the facts of skin cancer that are caused by your choice of dress when you are outside in Chiang Mai or elsewhere for that matter in Thailand. Your attitude seems to reflect your ignorance of skin cancer or you don't give a dam. Having had multiple stage 2 and 3 skin cancers due to my stupidity in clothing choices I never outside during the hottest part of the day with wearing long pants, a long sleeved shirt, proper shoes and sunscreen. Wear what you want and keep ignoring skin cancer until it bits you in the area, there is no escaping that simple fact.

• Like 2

Whatever one decides to put on in the morning I hope the first thing all of us put on is deodorant.  Seriously, you are in a very hot climate--you're not living in Iceboxland any more.  You need to apply deodorant every morning.  And, while we're at it, wash your clothes often, too.   I've never lived anywhere that has had so many really bad smelling farang men--I pity their poor suffering wives and girlfriends.   Do us all a big favor--and even if you are dressing horribly you won't smell horrible, too.

34 minutes ago, newnative said:

Whatever one decides to put on in the morning I hope the first thing all of us put on is deodorant.  Seriously, you are in a very hot climate--you're not living in Iceboxland any more.  You need to apply deodorant every morning.  And, while we're at it, wash your clothes often, too.   I've never lived anywhere that has had so many really bad smelling farang men--I pity their poor suffering wives and girlfriends.   Do us all a big favor--and even if you are dressing horribly you won't smell horrible, too.

This made me laugh - - - until I remembered one employee from years ago.....

Guess there's a reason why people from certain countries carry that reputation....Sadly.....

• Like 1

This made me laugh - - - until I remembered one employee from years ago.....

Guess there's a reason why people from certain countries carry that reputation....Sadly.....

Yes, I remember 2 different coworkers that we had to stay 5 feet away from at all times. Every day for 10 years until they both left. Their technical work habits were just as bad but they were never called into the manager's office over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idman said:

A find that so many of posters ignore the facts of skin cancer that are caused by your choice of dress when you are outside in Chiang Mai or elsewhere for that matter in Thailand. Your attitude seems to reflect your ignorance of skin cancer or you don't give a dam. Having had multiple stage 2 and 3 skin cancers due to my stupidity in clothing choices I never outside during the hottest part of the day with wearing long pants, a long sleeved shirt, proper shoes and sunscreen. Wear what you want and keep ignoring skin cancer until it bits you in the area, there is no escaping that simple fact.

Yep. Working outside, jeans, socks, boots, shirt and my 'farmers' hat, the one that covers head, face and neck. Hot? Hell yeah but plenty of rest breaks and water, no problem.

The only time I wear shorts is pool and beach. Even at home in the evenings jeans, shirt and socks.

Hope you recovered ok dude.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

As you said, pants, shirts and shoe styles depend on where you are going but I usually wear ankle socks. I do save my long gray tube socks for my jeans. And yes, some people have alergic reactions to long term contact with leather and rubber. There again, some people just love to wear socks regradless of the footwear. Nothing looks so low class to me as someone wearing expensive penny loafers without socks. It's really funny when people get so upset over personal preference like there is some kind of law and they are the only ones that are so important that they have been given the duty of determining and regulating that law. This does seem to apply to many subjects posted on TVF.

You're only jealous because you can't afford the expensive loafers! 

My 'Timberland' boat shoes are very comfortable without socks, although for hygiene reasons I wear the shoe liner socks or the leather gets a bit rancid.

Plimsole and trainer style shoes look fine with ankle socks, otherwise save yourself the embarrassment.

You're only jealous because you can't afford the expensive loafers! 

My 'Timberland' boat shoes are very comfortable without socks, although for hygiene reasons I wear the shoe liner socks or the leather gets a bit rancid.

Plimsole and trainer style shoes look fine with ankle socks, otherwise save yourself the embarrassment.

I'm never jealous of anyone that has the need to throw out that he has a little money.

50 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I'm never jealous of anyone that has the need to throw out that he has a little money.

Who mentioned money? Oh, I think it was you referring to 'expensive loafers'...:post-4641-1156693976:

Who mentioned money? Oh, I think it was you referring to 'expensive loafers'...:post-4641-1156693976:

Your quote - You're only jealous because you can't afford the expensive loafers. Can't afford what? The time? So that makes you a what?