Veteran wanting a retirement Visa.

On 6/25/2017 at 6:54 PM, Sophon said:

One thing that may be worth considering when choosing between an OA visa and a retirement extension, is what happens if the financial requirements are raised. Last time they raised the financial requirements for a retirement extension, those who were already on extensions were "grandfathered" in at the old levels, and there is a good chance the same would be the case again (no guarantees though). Those on an OA visa, on the other hand, would most likely have to meet the new financial requirements. And since it's been a while since the latest change, a raise of the financial requirements could very well be on the cards sooner rather than later.

This may not be a concern for the OP, since it sounds like he would comfortably meet the requirements even if the amount required were raised by a considerable margin. But for others, who today have income or savings only marginally over the required 65k/800k, it could be a deciding factor.

Sophon

When do you think they changed the financial requirements for an extension of stay, it sure hasn't been lately

On 7/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, Kim1950 said:

I have more than a $2000 USD monthly income, money in cash, and money in an IRA. The VA will give me a health certificate. I submitted the FBI fingerprint 'rap sheet' paperwork, will be waiting for that for two months. I am 66 who knows what!s there,  in fact, I talked to them and they don't really know for petty things that happened 40 years ago. They can't even confirm if a case was dismissed by a state court. In those days, they were only interested in felony cases. The Embassy tells me anything there is Show Stopper. No appeal. And, it would cost me plenty to mediate the issue. I not expecting anything

Plan B, there's this supposedly a 90 Day in country Visa that can be obtained that can be extended for a year, and more years, if you meet the financial requirements, no security clearance or medical check though under a tight banking timeline. Better facilitated through an agency. Then I am told this 90 Day Visa can't be used for exploring retirement. I don't get this option not has it been explained very clearly.  Maybe chasing a scam.

I am not negative about Thailand. It's my dream to return there to travel the country over an extended period of time, maybe years. I lived there. Loved the people and culture. Get to know more. I didn't find much of this Anti- Farangs thing. Except for the a-holes you would get anywhere. We will see.

Who have you been talking too, the 90 day non-o visa can be converted to a extension of stay up to 30 days before expiration. As you have the income use the income letter from the US consulate in Chiang Mai. You will need to make a reservation and print out the form from the Consulate website, complete the form before visit to consulate have 50 dollars in US currency or the equal in Thai currency depending on exchange rate. You will get the letter approved before leaving. 

Fill out TM-7 have 4x6 photo, copies of all listed documents. You are ready for immigration. Not as crazy at CM immigration as it was a few months ago but will be a few hour adventure. You should be able to do all of this yourself and not use an agent who will charge you a rediculous sum of money. PM if you want I will be happy to answer your questions

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, XBroker said:

Thank you.  I thought it could be done quicker.  Also, do I need an onward ticket w/ an non immigrant O-A? I would think not. And on top of the form it asks number of entries. I thought I could just pay more for a multi entry, which (I thought) meant unlimited in and out of the country. Should I write multi there or...?

The NYC consulate asks for proof of tickets in their requirements, Yes that is what I did write multi and pay the fee for multi...they understand

LONG STAY (O-A) : LIVING A RETIREMENT LIFE IN THAILAND OR TRAVEL TO THAILAND FOR

A LONG STAY

1. Original and Three copies of passport valid for at least 18 months

2. Three completed and signed application forms.

3. Three passport-size photographs (2” x 2” inches)      

4. Proof of money deposit from a bank certifying the amount equal to or no less than US$23,000, OR proof of income statement from a paying organization certifying no less than US$1,900 per month. 

5. Three copies of criminal records in good conduct issued by local police, or state police department, or FBI. The record issued by an private business providing background check service may be accepted if conducted by an FBI-Approved Channeler. Verification must be recent, not more than three months.

6. Three copies of medical certificate form completed by a doctor in the country of application reporting no prohibitive diseases. The certificate forms must be less than three months.

7. Three copies of confirmed air ticket and accommodation in Thailand

8. Visa fee      

Edited by tonray

On 7/23/2017 at 9:44 AM, tonray said:

The NYC consulate asks for proof of tickets in their requirements, Yes that is what I did write multi and pay the fee for multi...they understand

LONG STAY (O-A) : LIVING A RETIREMENT LIFE IN THAILAND OR TRAVEL TO THAILAND FOR

A LONG STAY

1. Original and Three copies of passport valid for at least 18 months

2. Three completed and signed application forms.

3. Three passport-size photographs (2” x 2” inches)      

4. Proof of money deposit from a bank certifying the amount equal to or no less than US$23,000, OR proof of income statement from a paying organization certifying no less than US$1,900 per month. 

5. Three copies of criminal records in good conduct issued by local police, or state police department, or FBI. The record issued by an private business providing background check service may be accepted if conducted by an FBI-Approved Channeler. Verification must be recent, not more than three months.

6. Three copies of medical certificate form completed by a doctor in the country of application reporting no prohibitive diseases. The certificate forms must be less than three months.

7. Three copies of confirmed air ticket and accommodation in Thailand

8. Visa fee      

Now we're back to needing tickets? lol

Have many have approval w/o air reservation before hand? Going through D.C consulate.

Obviously I would buy a different airline ticket if I 'had' the 1 year visa first and a different ticket if I was going on tourist 30 day visa route.

Edited by XBroker

Just now, XBroker said:

Now we're back to needing tickets? lol

Have many have approval w/o air reservation before hand? Going through D.C consulate.

They only want to see a ticket to here not a return or onward ticket. Many embassies and consulates want to see them to issue any visa.

There is no consulate in DC. You apply at the consular section of the embassy. Their requirements are here. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They only want to see a ticket to here not a return or onward ticket. Many embassies and consulates want to see them to issue any visa.

There is no consulate in DC. You apply at the consular section of the embassy. Their requirements are here. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o

7.  Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

At the DC Embassy,  It also states, "no criminal record', ' I requested the FBI Identity History Summary which takes about 10-12 weeks. I have read this information can go, as far back, as in your teens. It can note any incidents dismissed or expunged by the courts. I am assuming anything noted in this report is a Show Stopper' for applying for a Long Stay O-A Visa. They would not accept any remediation in any form by anybody no matter the seriousness or length of time in history for anything on this report.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 5:42 PM, bkk6060 said:

Did you do Live scan for the FBI check?  If so you sometimes can wait 10 to 12 weeks for that.  Just for info. so you can plan ahead.

Yep, fingerprints. Still waiting. I am curious.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, NancyL said:

Please let us know how the FBI record looks.  It's probably going to be just fine and you'll get an O-A visa no problem.

In the US a Non-Immigrant Category “O-A” requires either an apostille state or federal background check. I have received a clean state level background check. The state also figures the federal level background check, when completed  should be clean. Next for Thailand from the US will be FICO scores.

With the world wide threat of terrorist, and counties not wanting 'deadbeats', crooks, or people with lapses of moral character, these checks are getting deep-dives. The databases, data analytics, and information is becoming fast and more globally connected. You can't get into Canada with an OUI. There will be fewer places to hide, and what's left won't be very desirable.

The VA can do the health check for free and I don't expect any issues. My finances exceed the visa requirements. The forms seem daunting, they don't come with instructions and no 'help desk'. I am supposed to commit to airfare and lodging without knowing if and when the visa will be approved. Who's my Thai reference, if I don't have one. 

In my case it is a 'Leap', it's a bit administratively messy, to expatriate yourself with no US residency and reliable contacts back home. I cashed out my property and cleaning up as many webs of things and connections that happened over the years. A big 'take-away' is the VA, it's received bad press, but my facility and care is decent, golf course, gym, indoor pool and dozens of free activities.

We will see. In any event, I would like to travel all through SEA and Thailand would be a good home base.

By the way, I looked everywhere, I don't see where in the US you can apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” for the purpose of retirement.

3 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

In the US a Non-Immigrant Category “O-A” requires either an apostille state or federal background check. I have received a clean state level background check. The state also figures the federal level background check, when completed  should be clean. Next for Thailand from the US will be FICO scores.

With the world wide threat of terrorist, and counties not wanting 'deadbeats', crooks, or people with lapses of moral character, these checks are getting deep-dives. The databases, data analytics, and information is becoming fast and more globally connected. You can't get into Canada with an OUI. There will be fewer places to hide, and what's left won't be very desirable.

The VA can do the health check for free and I don't expect any issues. My finances exceed the visa requirements. The forms seem daunting, they don't come with instructions and no 'help desk'. I am supposed to commit to airfare and lodging without knowing if and when the visa will be approved. Who's my Thai reference, if I don't have one. 

In my case it is a 'Leap', it's a bit administratively messy, to expatriate yourself with no US residency and reliable contacts back home. I cashed out my property and cleaning up as many webs of things and connections that happened over the years. A big 'take-away' is the VA, it's received bad press, but my facility and care is decent, golf course, gym, indoor pool and dozens of free activities.

We will see. In any event, I would like to travel all through SEA and Thailand would be a good home base.

By the way, I looked everywhere, I don't see where in the US you can apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” for the purpose of retirement.

You do NOT need 2 separate background checks. 

1 hour ago, Kim1950 said:

1.  Google "thailand "O" visa embassy usa"

2.  http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

3.  Read. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/