Patong - The Wake

Patong2

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The Wine Connections wines would not know what a bargain is if it ran over them....

True...........when it first started it had its own range of wines which were cheaper than many one could buy, and this was because they added fruit juice to imported grape juice and produced the wine in Vietnam, and they weren't too bad (if you don't mind fruit juice added, although it wasn't clearly stated on the label so folks didn't know).

They also sought out some bona fide wines which were at the cheaper end of the scale, but now the whole range of wines is no longer competitive, so why shop there, this esp if the food quality has also gone downhill?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hansgruber said:

The problem is that all the food is pre cooked or prepared in Bangkok now. One kitchen weighs it and sends the food to all the other branches across Thailand. 

It's just reheated garbage. Nothing is prepped locally. 

Mmmm ..... I had thought the company  Phuket only

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

It started in Phuket. The new owners have really branched out. There are several branches in Bangkok and branches in KL and Singapore.

According to website actually started in BKK in 98, at over 50 locations (all the main tourist spots) across Thailand now

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Mmmm ..... I had thought the company  Phuket only

Its everywhere now. Expansion.

To keep food the same taste and cost control they moved to a central kitchen for the whole country. 

I found out through complaining about a pasta I ordered. It was salty and I asked for another with less salt. 

They said they can't as it's all made in one place and sent to branches then it's reheated. 

That's all I needed to know. They took it off my bill and I've never been back. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hansgruber said:

Its everywhere now. Expansion.

To keep food the same taste and cost control they moved to a central kitchen for the whole country. 

I found out through complaining about a pasta I ordered. It was salty and I asked for another with less salt. 

They said they can't as it's all made in one place and sent to branches then it's reheated. 

That's all I needed to know. They took it off my bill and I've never been back. 

I just cannot understand that HG..........it really is a crock, as the saying goes.

So no catering for individual tastes, pre-cooked and reheated food and whatever else the "masterminds" of the organisation have thought up (and not thought through)..........put me off going there ever again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Really .... you still go there .... oh dear

555......no LiK I was really referring to the post by hansgruber when I said that, and I haven't been there for about a couple of years.

The last time I considered going there was a few months ago when I just fancied some fish and chips, which they used to serve and which weren't bad, so I wandered down to the restaurant and looked at the menu and found out that they'd stopped doing them, this along with a much reduced menu, so I came home.

On a related subject, tonight I will be meeting up with a friend in Bangla and eating at my favourite Italian restaurant, Salute!

When one door closes another one opens!!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

555......no LiK I was really referring to the post by hansgruber when I said that, and I haven't been there for about a couple of years.

The last time I considered going there was a few months ago when I just fancied some fish and chips, which they used to serve and which weren't bad, so I wandered down to the restaurant and looked at the menu and found out that they'd stopped doing them, this along with a much reduced menu, so I came home.

On a related subject, tonight I will be meeting up with a friend in Bangla and eating at my favourite Italian restaurant, Salute!

When one door closes another one opens!!!!

…and whilst you’re there, ask Luigi if he’d be so kind as to Fish & Chips to the menu…you’ll never have to dine anywhere else ????. Pa used to add a splash or 2 of beer to his batter mix when we were wee bairns and it would make a lighter, crisper coating to the fish. Hand-cut chips of course, finished with a generous application of the vinegar from the pickled onion jar. We looked forward to Fridays then, aye.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, xylophone said:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits".

<snip>

There were times many moons ago when places like the small bars in Otop had a few daytime customers, and the occasional bar in Bangla did likewise, but these days the amount of daytime drinkers could be just about counted on the total digits on one's body, although there are occasions when places like the Aussie bar gets quite a few punters in, especially with major sports events taking place.

But to look to open another bar when the last effort was pretty abysmal, really defies logic and common sense, and as a friend of mine said, "they are still out there".........

The potential for having daytime customers in a bar rises somewhat during cruise season, which runs from October through February if I'm not mistaken. These ships typically moor at Patong from about 8-9am until 4-6pm, so those not booked on shore excursions and making it past the touts will most likely head for the beach, do some shopping, visit a local bar, or some combination of these.

Doesn't seem like a good business plan to rely on something that occurs only a few days each week, and for only 4-5 months of the year.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrDave said:

The potential for having daytime customers in a bar rises somewhat during cruise season, which runs from October through February if I'm not mistaken. These ships typically moor at Patong from about 8-9am until 4-6pm, so those not booked on shore excursions and making it past the touts will most likely head for the beach, do some shopping, visit a local bar, or some combination of these.

Doesn't seem like a good business plan to rely on something that occurs only a few days each week, and for only 4-5 months of the year.  

Cruise ship passengers and Bangla type bars......never the Twain shall meet!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Olmate said:

Cruise ship passengers and Bangla type bars......never the Twain shall meet!

Most Bangla staff and owners I spoken to never see these cruise types. Hardly surprising when so many cruise packages are all inclusive, including booze. So 1 of the 2 main reasons to go Bangla is already covered the other has somewhat slim pickings during daytime, so no real reason for them go/stay there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, xylophone said:

Things various covered in this particular post although my first few paragraphs relate to the fact that all sorts of people and behaviours can be found in Patong (already mentioned the almost broke bar owner looking at another acquisition!) But here is one I haven't come across as yet, that is until the other evening..........

Sitting at my favourite bar with two other friends, looking out over the ever changing colours in Bangla and we were joined by a Swedish couple, the guy being about 40 and good-looking, with his wife having a nice face, large puppies and an even larger figure, a bit akin to the Michelin man.

She started talking to me and asked me what age I was, and if I still "f**ked"!!!! I thought it was a strange question and answered it accordingly, saying that at the age of 72 I wasn't as active as I used to be in that area (trying to be diplomatic).

She explained that it was her wedding anniversary and that she would like to "<deleted> me that evening and would I like to come with her now and she would get her husband to watch.

I started to think that she was joking, however she was quite serious, rubbing her voluptuous puppies up against my arm and shoulder as she was speaking to me.

I really didn't want to answer her that I preferred slim, petite women to those built like the Michelin man, so I would decline her offer, however she was quite persistent and indeed persisted until such time as her husband dragged her away from the bar and up Bangla, all the while she was gesturing for me to follow her.

The only other incident which comes anywhere near it was quite a few years ago when I was dining with my live-in girlfriend at the time and a good-looking Australian couple asked me if I knew of anyone who would be interested in joining them for a threesome. I think this was an obvious hint towards my very attractive g/f.......so I suggested that if that's what they were after they should approach a few bar girls and that would surely find one who would oblige, if the price was right.

Sir, I fear you missed an opportunity here to try the M!lf experience. I’m a firm believer for the saying ‘any port in a storm’ and should Helga make another appearance, I suggest a few more ales and a pair of thick rose-tinted glasses – available at most Patong tourist outlets (& possibly a parachute.) Tuck in; it’ll be top bragging rights when next meeting up with the boys for a few scoops. 

Edited by billythehat
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Sir, I fear you missed an opportunity here to try the M!lf experience. I’m a firm believer for the saying ‘any port in a storm’ and should Helga make another appearance, I suggest a few more ales and a pair of thick rose-tinted glasses – available at most Patong tourist outlets (& possibly a parachute.) Tuck in; it’ll be top bragging rights when next meeting up with the boys for a few scoops. 

M!lf .... my memory failed me so I had to Google. Billy, one of your less informative posts. You usually make informative and entertaining posts.

Edit ... wow that word was taken out by the bad word editor. Surprised me as once upon a time I was chief bad word editor for TV.

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, billythehat said:

Sorry to disappoint you Billy, but rolling around in the sack with something akin to a large lump of lard just doesn't do it for me and never has!! I will stick with petite, cute, trim and preferably with some sort of personality!

If not, then a nice bottle of red will suffice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Patong is just full of fascinating sights that even after many trips here, still bring a smile.

Last night we had dinner in our favourite Bistro in Nanai Rd, just south of Soi Banzaan. As Xylophone said, the big Chang "hotel" looks deserted and even the traffic is less than ever.

A girl on a scooter went past with a big fluffy white Chow? dog sitting with its paws up on the handle bars, it's bum against the seat and rear paws in the footwell. The head of the dog was much bigger than the girls and she was peering around the side of the dog. Just a lovely scene with both of them smiling on their ride.

Across the road at a little restaurant a patron had a large, pretty cat sitting on the next table grooming itself while he ate. Just down the road a delightful little dog sitting on another table with I think the owners of a little eating place. Both animals looking beautifully cared for.

Being male I watched a well endowed young lady in a low cut, short red dress, go up the road and then she sat in the bar next to us just in my line of sight. Lets say she had ample thighs and it passed through my mind that 15 years ago you would rarely see a girl that big here, but now it is common. She wasn't unattractive, just an "upsize" model.

Walking home down Soi Banzai we passed the lingerie and sexy outfit shop on the left and my wife and I looked wistfully at the delightful array of skimpy garments. I remarked that in 5 years time they will have to make them all a couple of sizes bigger. She replied that they already do, there is now a larger range of bigger sizes available in Patong shops now. Where have all those lean little honeys of yesteryear gone?

Further down at Banzaan market my favourite Pad Thai cart was missing so the family must be having a well deserved night off. Then we threaded our way through the Chinese blocking all the paths so rudely.

Really, there is always something of interest happening here, it never gets boring.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

How is it with the Dutch guy Kees who owned couple pooljoints on Bangla?

is he still alive?

His billiards place name  was named Living room 1 and 2..

I knew him well and almost went into partnership with him on Living Room 2 (lucky I didn't cos it didn't take off).  He also had the Bier Kutsche (?) which was where Monsoon is now and I spent many good times there.

Last I heard was that he got into financial strife and ended up owning nothing, then later that he had died........he was a heavy smoker and a keen scotch and beer drinker, doing nothing in the way of exercise.

They were good times.

52 minutes ago, xylophone said:

<snip>

One particular thing of interest was that when I was sitting in front of the Immigration Officer, after handing him all of the appropriate banking paperwork, he looked up at me and said, "you have to keep this 800 K in the bank for three months and then you can use some of it and before the next renewal you have to have it back up to 800 K". I said that I understood that, and that's what I would be doing, to which he added, "if you fall below that money or cannot deposit the money in the bank you cannot stay in Thailand".

I got my retirement extension last week, IO made to mention to me about keeping the 800k in the bank. Interesting no mention of the 400k minimum.  

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

I got my retirement extension last week, IO made to mention to me about keeping the 800k in the bank. Interesting no mention of the 400k minimum.  

Correction 

I got my retirement extension last week, IO made NO mention to me about keeping the 800k in the bank. Interesting no mention of the 400k minimum to you.  

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Correction 

I got my retirement extension last week, IO made NO mention to me about keeping the 800k in the bank. Interesting no mention of the 400k minimum to you.  

The only constant is inconsistency even from the same IO.

As xylophone said above "Never a dull moment".

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Correction 

No LiK, the IO never mentioned the 400 K specifically, however he did say that I could use some of the 800 K and had to leave some in the account and build it up again before the next retirement extension was due, so I suppose that was enough for him?

I did say that I understood, so perhaps that was enough?

Anyway back down to immigration today to pick up my passport and multiple entry visa and that is this whole rigmarole over and done with for another year!!!!!!

• Like 2