Patong - The Wake

Patong2

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

It’s a shame because the live music bar at the back near the toilets has far and away the best band I have ever seen in Phuket – in fact, it’s the only one that I bother going to. The lead guitarist is highly talented and they manage to do a set without finding it necessary to insert the f-word at every opportunity like some on Bangla.  He also does that classic audience favourite of leaving the stage and posing with various punters while he’s playing.

The venue is called the Hippie Road Bar and the band which plays up until about 10:45 PM, then packs up and moves to play in Red Hot, at the top of Bangla.

However the older lead guitarist, whom you describe, stays and plays with the next group which sets up.

At Red Hot the band is joined by a younger lead guitarist who is also extremely good, and a very good keyboard player, and in my opinion they are certainly the best band in Patong, and possibly Phuket, and would have to be one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Not only that, the keyboard player can also play drums and rhythm guitar, whilst the lady singer, also extremely good, can also play bass guitar and rhythm guitar into the bargain, and on occasions there are a couple of young male singers accompanying the band and that really does round off a great combination.

I agree with you about some of the other bands and the ones in Monsoon, Lion and Soi Freedom can often sound very amateurish compared to the better ones.

I have belted out a few numbers with the band at Hippie Road, Red Hot and Freedom, and the Red Hot band stands head and shoulders above the others (IMO).

On 12/13/2019 at 5:36 PM, xylophone said:

I have seen more Indian raiding parties than previously, although none of them have visited the totally white Indian restaurant in Soi Sansabai and I think it’s all but closed at the moment. Never seemed to work from day one!

I've heard some Indian company is spending big money to fit out a restaurant on Beach road near Banana.

They also have premises in Pattaya

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I've heard some Indian company is spending big money to fit out a restaurant on Beach road near Banana.

They also have premises in Pattaya

On the one hand, it doesn't seem surprising that someone is trying to cater for the new influx of Indian tourists here, however on the other it would appear that Patong is pretty well served with Indian restaurants at the moment, with Soi Sansabai having at least four in that small narrow road!

Out and about there are quite a few more, and also quite a few restaurants which do not seem to be predominantly Indian restaurants but do serve Indian food?

Having a restaurant on the beach road would seem to be ideal, but who knows in this current environment where many restaurants are struggling as indeed are some of the Indian owned outlets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

On the one hand, it doesn't seem surprising that someone is trying to cater for the new influx of Indian tourists here, however on the other it would appear that Patong is pretty well served with Indian restaurants at the moment, with Soi Sansabai having at least four in that small narrow road!

Out and about there are quite a few more, and also quite a few restaurants which do not seem to be predominantly Indian restaurants but do serve Indian food?

Having a restaurant on the beach road would seem to be ideal, but who knows in this current environment where many restaurants are struggling as indeed are some of the Indian owned outlets.

I would presume to get large premises in that location would indicate something more planned than the average curry house in a back street.

I mentioned the Pattaya link to illustrate it's somewhat more than an individual startup.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I would presume to get large premises in that location would indicate something more planned than the average curry house in a back street.

I mentioned the Pattaya link to illustrate it's somewhat more than an individual startup.

Maybe above Coffee Club, Starbucks,or at ground level there was a convenience store now closed that always was a dead zone.

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, good point, although near OTOP there is a very large Indian restaurant which would seat probably about 100 people, but that doesn't seem to be that full at any time. The strange thing is that right next door there is a huge dining area which was full of small fish tanks supposedly containing oceanic delights and which would cater for probably twice that many, but again that seems to have been struggling.

If those folks have the money to spend, then so be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Maybe above Coffee Club, Starbucks,or at ground level there was a convenience store now closed that always was a dead zone.

From what I remember, that place has always had a bit of a jinx on it and Villa Market opened and closed in pretty quick time when it was there, and in the couple of visits I made, it was basically empty!

Interesting times, that's for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the good report Xylophone.  Pleased to hear you caught the newspaper thief red-handed.

perhaps the quick openings/closings are a reflection of the relatively low cost of many small business startups and/or the ease of obtaining short-term lease terms in Patong? 

In my neck of the woods, Kamala seems busier this year compared with the previous couple of years.

• Thanks 1

I can't compete with the regulars on here for in-depth local knowledge, but this visit I am very surprised to see vacant spaces at the Banzaan night food market. I would have assumed that there would be a waiting list to get a patch there?

It was always very popular with the Chinese, who seem to go crazy for the seafood, but their numbers are apparently dwindling?

Conversely, I don't recall EVER seeing a Indian in there, and I eat there about four times a week when I'm here.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Xylophone

I am sure many others look forward to your insightful posts on Patong. You can never write too much.

I have the problem of walking past some of these shops and realising something has changed and cannot remember what the heck used to be there.

My wife and friend frequented a massage come manicure place in the basement of Jung Ceylon and the last few times the girls were operating with no lights on and it was too dar for them to properly do the job. Apparently the power bill wasn't being paid. Last week (in the peak of "high season") they closed. maybe they weren't paying the rent also?

Drinkeria open tonight with several customers. Backside was very busy but not a lot of people for this time of year but far too much traffic.

Thank you for your kind words P2, and I know exactly what you mean about the basement in Jungceylon because I have seen a few other shops in there become vacant of late and that coincides with the fact that there are not many customers or potential customers walking through there.

Strange about La Drinkeria as its opening schedules seem to be all over the place. Opening time is supposed to be 4 PM, but tonight I passed by at 4:30 PM and it was closed and the same goes for a few other times over the past week or so.........struggling perhaps and trying to hang on by its boot-laces as the saying goes??

In addition to that london Lowf posted regarding vacant spaces in Banzaan market, something which I hadn't noticed, but then again would never have thought possible, as to me that epitomises locals endeavouring to start a business up the hard way and being successful at it as well, but maybe not so these days......?

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

One thing to bear in mind is that places might be busy at one time of day and dead at others.

I haven't eaten in Backside (yet) but I am a sucker for the crab meat soup in the Thai restaurant opposite, and Backside was completely empty on my two visits this week although the bar next door is always busy - but I eat at about 11pm, so maybe I miss the rush!

On 6/28/2017 at 4:23 AM, Prometheus33 said:

Neither Patong nor Phuket has failed .. both are alive and doing well ...... Perhaps one can say that it isn't doing as well as it used to. That's  for sure .. have you taken a look at the world economy recently ?! .. Most people can't afford a decent holiday because they simply do not earn enough these days !! Tourism in Patong / Phuket has taken a hit same as other tourist spots at other places .. 

I was in Patong recently (@ the Burasari) and enjoyed my stay  .. as did my son and his fiancee ( she flew Prague Moscow Phuket , I mention this because the focal point of her / their holiday was Phuket / Patong not Bangkok or elsewhere ) , both have just completed their MBA and I dare say very discerning travellers !! They spent 15  days in Patong and 6 days in  Kata and say they will be back  again .. When young people feel a place is worth going back to, well, I reckon there is hope yet !! 

This has no relevance at all and you are making a scene.

What does one's educational level have to do with their being a tourist?

Discerning travelers? Come on Man. Discerning travelers with money have 1000 other nicer places to take a vacation than Phuket.

Do you read the news because it seems to contradict your point these areas are doing well?

Thailand is not a decent holiday, it used to be a cheap holiday, nothing more.

When was the last time you went on a holiday and the hotel was more than US $1,000 a night?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lashay said:

Think maybe need to find new bar if true, most bars i go to, you play, you win, you get drink. Note by drink mean tequila/sambuca so forth, not anything you want (it generally goes on girls tab, so even if your losses cost you 180-250 she makes less than half that, so if you were drinking say JD coke she would need to win at least 2 to 1 just to break even).

Only times they might not pay up is if unknown customer (or known cheap Charlie) who has bought them nothing yet, as to many times girls have got burnt by guys playing, winning first game, getting their drink and then suddenly deciding they want quit while ahead.

Many a night i have had to quit playing bar games because win to much and the shots start messing me up

Ps if out with friends and splitting bar tabs, generally wise to keep lady drinks separate, seen many a friendship end because people don't do that

Those shots are about 10ml. It's one way the bars survive. 70 shots from a bottle at 220 baht a shot, less the bargirl's 50 baht. That's nearly 12,000 baht on a bottle of liquor that costs 300 baht. That's some markup!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lashay said:

Think maybe need to find new bar if true, most bars i go to, you play, you win, you get drink.

I've had that experience in other bars, however I think this was a little different, inasmuch as the girls were not actually bar staff per se, but "dancing girls" and I think a couple of them were doing this of their own volition, in order to get drinks and of course the commission from them.

Will look out for that on my next visit!! Once bitten, twice shy!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lashay said:

Yeah slumber have bern around Patong for at least a year now. Seem to have fair amount of customers judging by their bar crawls on Bangla, but most bars seem to want little to do with them or their customers, they make cheap Charlie's look like big spenders, hardly surprising when their bed rates go as low as 180 per night in low season (which is actually cheaper that their hostel in Ao Nang)

There is a bar in Ao nang that told belongs to them, its cocktails are quite good but more expensive than night in their accommodation, so they are not stupid, makes me think their real earnings comes from extras like tours/bar crawls/bike rentals so forth

I met the owners of Slumber Party a while ago and had quite a long chat. They have a very good business model and you're spot on Lashay. Lub'd on the other hand go for more boutique style accommodation and make their money more on the beds and people hanging around, buying their food and drinks. Plenty of backpacker accommodation in Patong these day, a bit different from when the only hostel in Patong was The Crown Hostel which due to it's location at the back of Rock City was hardly conducive to a good night's sleep!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

Take your pick......optimists or fools, or perhaps blinded by that thing called, "Lurv".

"Lurv" 555. Must be hard for the girls to find patients of love these days with all the indians and chinese around.

Yup xylo you so right about the messed up infrastructure in Patong.

Maybe my memory is bad but wasn't the last real big project the building of Rath-u-tit road incl. sewege pipes in 1995?