Patong - The Wake

Patong2

On 2/12/2023 at 8:58 PM, London Lowf said:

Maybe time for a new thread?

Maybe you are right LL, because the situation in Patong at the moment has changed quite markedly from an almost dead "backwater" to a lively, thronging place which bears no relation to what it was a couple of years ago.

I've enjoyed contributing to the current thread, and also in reading the responses, so maybe other posters and contributors, along with the mods, could suggest another name for it and we could still continue a thread about Patong in general, maybe called something like "Patong Life" or something more adventurous if someone can come up with a name??

Would be interested to hear any comments.

Xylophone - staying in Patong long-term is very stressful and I believe that you stay in one of the worse-effected areas for this kind of anti social behaviour. I can only leave the relative calm of Kamala for an evening at a time, or an occassional overnight at most.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

also the pole-dancer at Smiley/Tiger who I remember from many years ago and who is a very open and friendly girl - maybe because she knows that I am not trying to get into her underwear.

Point taken LL, but as I've said previously I don't visit many bars, only the very few bars that are owned by friends I know, apart from the occasional visit to Suzie Wong's, which happens about once or every two months, along with friends.

And as for getting into the "underwear" of the very masculine, heavily tattooed pole dancer at Smiley, then I have no interest whatsoever, but every one to their own??

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

the very masculine, heavily tattooed pole dancer

That's a bit harsh! Have you ever spoken to her? Substitute "muscular" for "masculine" and you're spot on.

She's not my sort but, compared to the English ladies football team, she's an absolute cutie.

• Haha 1

1st time i have been in Jung Ceylon in over 2 1/2 years.

noon- 1:30 pm...its dead>  a few places to eat, Big c, not fully stocked and some shops open>no customers yet Patong is busy
whats taking so Long?

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

noon- 1:30 pm...its dead>  a few places to eat, Big c, not fully stocked and some shops open>no customers yet Patong is busy
whats taking so Long?

It certainly is not as busy as it has been in past years, and the ongoing building work and renovations don't help in that respect IMO, and interesting that you should mention that Big C is not fully stocked, because I've noticed exactly the same, yet there are days when the shelves are fairly well-stocked and within 24 hours they are almost empty again, so someone is buying and stocking up??

"Tops" in Central Patong is well worth a visit, if nothing else, just for a change of scenery and no building work or dust and dirt to content with.

recently i have been travelling from Kamala to the new Robinsons mall near the monument
very nice great Cheap food court, zero westerners>
and than a stop at Villa which has nowadays comparable prices to Tops on the way home  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, xylophone said:

Well, no responses to the suggestion to change the "Patong – the Wake" name, so here goes with a few other snippets.

First of all there was an absolutely superb piece on Thaiger called, 
Russian brotherhood stealing Phuket jobs.
https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/russian-brotherhood-stealing-phuket-jobs

And it pulled no punches and covered many things that bug folk here in Patong, including corruption and the slack BIB, amongst many others; well worth a read.

Luckily enough I don't drive fast here either on my motorbike or in my car, so when I was driving my bike along Nanai Road at about 35 to 40 km/h, I was able to brake sharply, very sharply when a younger Chinese guy decided to walk out into the road without looking and I just about stopped with my front wheel touching his leg, and I shouted some obscenities at him which he probably didn't understand, however the Thai motorbike taxi guys sitting nearby gave me the thumbs up and laughed.

I thought the situation in Patong had improved somewhat, however there still seem to be some small businesses closing down and one of them used to be called "Cheap Charlies" in Nanai, and it was a guesthouse which wasn't that expensive (not too hard to fathom that was it) before it changed owners and names, and now it is up for sale/rent/lease. Another couple of shops in Nanai have gone the same way, and judging by the very few bar mongers around these days, I would suggest that one or two other bars in Nanai would be following that pattern.

Haven't really been out in Bangla as have had quite a few hospital visits what with cutting out a cancer on my chest, and also some major dental work which involved many big injections, which I hate, and which will be about 68,000 baht when the final bill comes in. And when it is all over I will go out on Bangla and celebrate one way or another!

Tim misses & assumes quite a few things here, the taking jobs part (in many fields) is very questionable - Ive been looking for Russian staff for months, many of the other points do hit home. More so for the long termers. In general a monoculture business model is not desirable, with this I agree. 

HOWEVER  I also remember similar rhetoric regarding the Chinese a few short years ago, then the pleas for them to return in order to displace the Indians. It seems only gullible "farangs" with deep pockets and a penchant for being fleeced are welcome here............

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 7:39 AM, zzzzz said:

whats taking so Long?

Well things are livening up a bit now @zzzzz, although not to their previous levels, but bit by bit Jungceylon is being inhabited by more tourists and a few shops returning, along with the obligatory "property investment booths".

Big C does have quite a few Russians and Chinese shopping there, and as has been mentioned before, as soon as the shelves are full of certain produce, within 24 hours they are almost empty again.

Patong Central is busy in the café/restaurant/food department, however I haven't been upstairs to view the stores therein.

Edited by xylophone

On 3/18/2023 at 2:36 PM, xylophone said:

I got talking to one of the tourist police stationed just along the road and he mentioned that they were there to enforce a 1 AM closing time

Yes, all very odd and out of the blue.

I was told that it was only for three days but, as you know, my communication skills leave a lot to be desired and so I might have misheard or been misinformed!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, London Lowf said:

Yes, all very odd and out of the blue.

I was told that it was only for three days but, as you know, my communication skills leave a lot to be desired and so I might have misheard or been misinformed!

Back to 2am closing.

Not that they need it now that we're moving away from the peak/high seaons! By 1am Bangla is pretty much winding down and the bar staff get bored and start snacking from the roving vendors.

It's also noticable that there is a big increase in LB streetwalkers (and the more up-market freelancers hitting Bar Funk) that only arrive at about that time in the hope of picking up an easy job - all swishing their hair as they mince along the road.

Edited by London Lowf

I've just noticed on another thread that the tourist numbers in Phuket have improved markedly and that by the end of the year they should be back to the high season norms.

Just a couple of bits of information from a couple of friends, the first being a lawyer, who said that they had been fairly busy with the opening of marijuana shops (and similar) and the other piece of information from a friend who is living near Laguna, states that real estate is going very well there and many Russians are buying condos and villas with bags full of cash! (according to his friends in real estate there).

That has been supported by a French guy I know here, who manages the small property booths in the likes of Jungceylon, where he said business is very slow, but is brisk in the Laguna area! 

So, as I said in an earlier post, some areas/businesses appear to be doing well, whilst others aren't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shot said:

My wife's shop is busier than ever before. Her sister is now working for us full time, plus another part time employee. They can hardly keep up. But, it will take another year like this, to fully recover from the covid <deleted>. 

Good to hear your news@Shot and long may it continue.

Definitely lower traffic volumes in the last couple of weeks in Patong, Karon/Kata and even Kamala.

I even got a parking spot on Beach Rd about 5pm the other night and managed to find "Sweets" restaurant and "Karlsons" open which I was pleased to see as we had been unable to get down there since before Covid.

Driving home from CherngTalay from a great comedy show on Tuesday night and had just about a free run at around 10pm. No traffic at all.

Is there going to be a pick up in tourist numbers with Song Kran or is that only Thai's now? We used to get numbers of lunatic Aussie's and other farangs in Bangla Rd for Song Kran but I wonder whether we will see them this year. Wouldn't be missed by most people I think.

Sat in Soi Sansabai for a few hours the other night and plenty of people walking the street, always 

enjoy people watching and the huge diversity of people here.

• Like 2