Vanished from Koh Tao! Missing Russian Girl still not found – is the island hiding a macabre secret?

rooster59

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, bannork said:

According to Valentina's mother , her daughter had been learning to dive for 4 years- always in swimming pools which is not surprising as she lived in Russia. The reference to wanting to beat her personal record of 22 metres came from her own Facebook post..

https://www.sweet3mango.com/2017/03/13/mother-missing-russian-tourist-arrives-koh-tao-admits-never-dived-sea/

Just because its on facebook does not make it true

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

I'm afraid rockinrobin is wrong about her diving experience. According to her mother she had 4 years experience diving in Russia.

Not in the sea

From the article you posted earlier 

But all her experience was in swimming pools – she had no experience of diving in the sea

Edited by rockingrobin

1 minute ago, rockingrobin said:

Yes, perhaps she exaggerated the depth she had dived to to impress her friends and mother back in Russia.

Or perhaps the Koh Tao mafia hacked into both her Facebook and What's App accounts and posted all this stuff to fool Thai visa sleuths. 

9 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Yes, perhaps she exaggerated the depth she had dived to to impress her friends and mother back in Russia.

Or perhaps the Koh Tao mafia hacked into both her Facebook and What's App accounts and posted all this stuff to fool Thai visa sleuths. 

Why did the police decide to search shallow waters 4 to 5 meters deep, 

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

"Or perhaps the Koh Tao mafia hacked into both her Facebook and What's App accounts and posted all this stuff to fool Thai visa sleuths. "

Exactly ! You got it !

Just now, bannork said:

This May?? So she just disappeared herself??

Yes, this May .

I dont know whether it is her or not and Im terrible at recognising peoples faces, I just wondered whether anyone has better facial reconsigning abilities than I do

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, this May .

I dont know whether it is her or not and Im terrible at recognising peoples faces, I just wondered whether anyone has better facial reconsigning abilities than I do

Jeez, you may have cracked this case man! If you don't mind me asking where did you get that photo?

58 minutes ago, hobz said:

Likelyhood of dying: 1 out of 1000000.

Likelyhood of having a good time: 99 out of 100.

Likelyhood of motorbike accident: 1 out of 1000.

Likelyhood of drowning if you dont realize the power of the ocean 1 out of 10.

Numbers are made up. They are my best guesstimate.

Chance of committing suicide: enhanced 1000% regardless of your emotional state

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Guys : Just out of curiosity . Do these two people look like the same person ?

18157476_10211807271158353_6479029268750956574_n.jpg

Missing-Russian-woman.jpg

No

Some points about freediving that some of the posts on this thread don't seem to be aware of.

- It's not particularly difficult for a competent swimmer to freedive 20 metres with fins on.  The hardest part is learning how to equalise the pressure in your ears.  I can freedive at least 15 metres and I suspect maybe 20 (I don't carry a dive computer to be sure on the depth) and I've never had any sort of training or lessons.  The only thing that stops me going deeper is equalising, I can't manage to do it consistently.  If she'd mastered that then 20-30 metres is easy with relatively little experience.

- I think Freediving schools teach you to hyperventilate (breathe deeply in and out) to extend your breath hold.  This is dangerous because it tricks your brain into thinking your lungs have more oxygen than they do - underwater blackouts occur as a result and that's certain death unless you have somebody very close by who notices you go limp and can get you out of the water immediately.  There have been cases even in 1-2 metre pools of children dying who are trying to swim laps underwater, the depth has nothing to do with it.  If she hyperventilated before she dived, then it's a possible cause of death.

- So she swims in pools and not in the sea. The sea is more dangerous, we can all agree on that. But she is a good swimmer and she's young and physically fit. Unless she got smashed up against rocks/banged her head somehow, I still don't see that a competent swimmer with fins on could drown around Tao. The fins make you more buoyant and give you more power. Even if she tried to swim against a rip, not knowing how to swim around the rip, at some point she would have had to give up and accept she wasn't going to beat the rip, and the rip would have taken her out to sea for a hundred metres or so. She's still a competent swimmer, the water is warm, she might be a bit tired but she's not going to die. She's not 70 years old with a heart condition or flapping about like the Chinese who drown in 2 metres of water. Eventually she'll find a different route back to shore. So was it stormy weather or not? Are there rips around Tao? I've never experienced any there but I've spent fewer than 4 weeks there total.

Edited by dfdgfdfdgs

That guy is/was her friend on Facebook, his name is Sergey Saltykov. And those photos are from his page taken in Hanoi on April 26th.

April 25th, the day before, he writes - so we got to Viernam, settled down.

Maybe a different woman, in which case I apologise Sergey,but if not?

14 minutes ago, bannork said:

That guy is/was her friend on Facebook, his name is Sergey Saltykov. And those photos are from his page taken in Hanoi on April 26th.

April 25th, the day before, he writes - so we got to Viernam, settled down.

Maybe a different woman, in which case I apologise Sergey,but if not?

If it is her though, why he he post a photo on-line ?

Surely the Mother would recognise her ?

She just has 17 friends though , and although theres been some recent activity , she last posted a photo in 2013

2 minutes ago, bikerbri said:

"Although Elise’s luggage arrived in Chumphon she did not. She was found several days later, dead, on a rock, in the jungle above Tanote bay, partially eaten by animals, wrapped in T-shirts. "

That puts the rumours about the Russian Lady straight then 

1 hour ago, bikerbri said:

The police have put the death down to suicide ................... See 

How many deaths on Koh Tao does it take before someone in authority does something about it?

Edited by TheLobster
addition

14 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The authorities on Koh Tao may or maynot take steps.....but the first steps perhaps need to be taken by the tourist visitors themselves to avoid their own victimization!

Blame the victim for being there in the first place ?