Trump does not intend to fire investigator Mueller - White House

rooster59

Trump does not intend to fire investigator Mueller - White House

640x640 (7).jpg

Special Counsel Robert Mueller departs after briefing members of the U.S. Senate on his investigation into potential collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 21, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump has no intention of firing the special counsel investigating charges of Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, even though he questioned the official's impartiality in an interview, the White House said on Friday.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters that while Trump "retains the authority" to dismiss special counsel Robert Mueller, "he has no intention of doing that."

Trump voiced concern in a TV interview on Fox News on Friday about what he said was the close relationship between former FBI Director James Comey and Mueller, who was named to take over the Russia investigation after Trump fired Comey.

"He's very, very good friends with Comey, which is bothersome," Trump told Fox News. "Look, there has been no obstruction. There has been no collusion. There has been leaking by Comey."

Lawmakers investigating allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election have raised questions about whether Comey's May 9 firing was an attempt by Trump to stop the Russia probe.

While White House officials have said the firing was due to concerns about Comey's actions at the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Trump told an interviewer the Russia investigation was one of his concerns in taking the action.

But the president insists his campaign did not collude with Russia and that his firing of Comey did not obstruct justice.

"There's been no collusion, no obstruction and virtually everybody agrees to that," Trump told Fox, adding that Mueller "is an honorable man and hopefully he'll come up with an honorable solution."

Russia denies it meddled in the U.S. presidential election.

In excerpts from a separate interview, Trump criticized President Barack Obama for inaction in the face of Russian meddling.

"Well I just heard today for the first time that Obama knew about Russia a long time before the election, and he did nothing about it," Trump said, according to excerpts from a Fox News interview to be broadcast on Sunday.

In congressional testimony on Wednesday, Jeh Johnson, who headed the Homeland Security Department under Obama, said his department had warned about hacking into voter databases.

When asked why the Obama administration did not do more to warn the public, he said: "We were very concerned that we would not be perceived as taking sides in the election, injecting ourselves into a very heated campaign." [nL1N1JI0TQ]

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-24

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tweet. "The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?"

So now he's finally acknowledging there was Russian collusion in an election he WON.

The most flippy-floppy, lying, manipulative individual that has ever graced politics let alone American politics. Impeach this mofo.

Go on fire Mueller! Go on! I dare you! Do it! Do it! Let's get this party started!

I'd love to see the Republicans song and dance afterwards! Makes for great entertainment.

54 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

He should fire him.

Impartial, he is not!

Even Trump isn't stupid enough to fire Mueller.  He knows that would be the death nail for him.  At the moment he is teetering on the edge and hopefully not teetering for too much longer.

Today Spicer downplays the idea so if history is anything to go by, Trump will suggest it is a real possibility in a tweet soon. Then next week they will reverse roles in this childish two-step.

Anybody noticed that all this speculation, very reminiscent of reality tv, means all the attention is focused on Trump and what he might do and zero attention is focused on the focus of the investigation, zero attention on what he is secretly doing with his myriad of shell companies [Hint : selling out America's interests for his own personal interests] and zero attention on the business of government.

The whole thing is pathetic. What has America done? They have fallen for a two-bit conman. How could they be so dumb?

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Today Spicer downplays the idea so if history is anything to go by, Trump will suggest it is a real possibility in a tweet soon. Then next week they will reverse roles in this childish two-step.

Anybody noticed that all this speculation, very reminiscent of reality tv, means all the attention is focused on Trump and what he might do and zero attention is focused on the focus of the investigation, zero attention on what he is secretly doing with his myriad of shell companies [Hint : selling out America's interests for his own personal interests] and zero attention on the business of government.

The whole thing is pathetic. What has America done? They have fallen for a two-bit conman. How could they be so dumb?

In fairness to the people they were voting against the system and for change.  Unfortunately such was their anger with the establishment that they blindly believed the rubbish that Trump was spouting.  In that they were naïve in the extreme but the really dumb ones are the ones that (amazingly) still make excuses for the moron in chief. 

5 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Another tweet. "The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?"

So now he's finally acknowledging there was Russian collusion in an election he WON.

The most flippy-floppy, lying, manipulative individual that has ever graced politics let alone American politics. Impeach this mofo.

Where has he admitted collusion, all he has stated is that Obama knew and did nothing.  How did you deduce that to be acknowledging anything or are you suggesting that Obama colluded and not the POTUS.   Another TVF detective at work, changing words to suit the agenda hey?  The rest of your offering is not worth commenting on.:wai:

15 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

...all he has stated is that Obama knew and did nothing.

Which of course, is untrue.

No surprise coming from a pathological liar.

Obama’s secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin’s election assault

"Over that five-month interval, the Obama administration secretly debated dozens of options for deterring or punishing Russia, including cyberattacks on Russian infrastructure, the release of CIA-gathered material that might embarrass Putin and sanctions that officials said could “crater” the Russian economy."

"Obama also approved a previously undisclosed covert measure that authorized planting cyber weapons in Russia’s infrastructure, the digital equivalent of bombs that could be detonated if the United States found itself in an escalating exchange with Moscow."

"The project, which Obama approved in a covert-action finding, was still in its planning stages when Obama left office, it would be up to President Trump to decide whether to use the capability."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national-security/obama-putin-election-hacking/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-high_russiaobama-banner-7a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.76b4862faa02

President Obama's plan was in action starting with immediately expelling 35 Russian spies.

The one who is doing nothing, is the inept, possibly complicit fool in the White House.

Now, why is that?

Instead of looking into this and listening to the advice about the possible traitor Flynn,

the inept one spent his time disparaging the entire intelligence community.

Now, why is that?

17 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I guess this is a go-to line for any political discussion of the American scene. What particular relevance does it have here?

No it isn't a go to line, give it some thought OK.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

No it isn't a go to line, give it some thought OK.

Frankly why should I trust the outcome of voting results if I already know in media everything can be manipulated by extremely powerful players who like things to remain their way.

4 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Where has he admitted collusion, all he has stated is that Obama knew and did nothing.  How did you deduce that to be acknowledging anything or are you suggesting that Obama colluded and not the POTUS.   Another TVF detective at work, changing words to suit the agenda hey?  The rest of your offering is not worth commenting on.:wai:

I think it is you who is changing words, no one said that Trump admitted collusion but said admitted Russian involvement, something Trump had always denied .

Remember Trumps statement that it could had being" a fat guy in his underwear in front of a computer in the middle of the night".  

In other words it could had being him!! LOL  

Just who owns america now anyway? I guess we all know its not the citizens.

All the billionaires in all the top gov't positions now. God bless and help America, cause the citizens really deserve better!

11 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

A great statement of Travel19491:

Trump says Putin will never go into Ukraine. Putin is already in Ukraine.

Trump says he will overhaul healthcare because he knows more about healthcare than anyone. After failing, "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated."

Trump insists his inauguration was the largest ever, despite photographic evidence to the contrary.

Trump shoves PM of Montenegro aside just to get to head of the pack for photo op.

Trump promotes birther conspiracy.

Trump insists Obama wiretapped him.

Trump says he'd like to date his daughter.

Trump says Cruz's father was involved in Kennedy assassination.

Trump campaigns hard for House healthcare bill, has big celebration in the Rose Garden telling Republicans, "It's going go be an unbelievable victory...when we get it through the Senate", then turns around and tells GOP Senators that the House bill was "mean".

Trump: "I thought being President would be easier than my old life."

Trump: "You know, it really doesn't matter what the media write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass."

Trump: "Despite the negative press covfefe."

Trump: "Why can't we use nuclear weapons?"

Trump: "I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier."

Trump: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me." (Probably because of all those years of dedicated, patriotic military service...oh, wait...)

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think it is you who is changing words, no one said that Trump admitted collusion but said admitted Russian involvement, something Trump had always denied .

Remember Trumps statement that it could had being" a fat guy in his underwear in front of a computer in the middle of the night".  

In other words it could had being him!! LOL  

Do you really think, sure does not appear that way?  I haven't changed any words and I used the whole quote, not like you, selectively deleting parts of my post just to sustain your propaganda.  I think that somewhere in here the member has said just that, and that is part of what I responded to.

Here it is again, just so you can comprehend, maybe take reading lesson and get off the spin machine.  So now tell me again where I changed words or that no one said what I have stated.  If you want to post false and misleading information fine, it only highlights your style, and  it also highlights the depths some are prepared to sink to in order to get their biased BS out there.  Not very becoming at all when you are caught out.:wai:

"Another tweet. "The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?"

20 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A great statement of Travel19491:

Trump says Putin will never go into Ukraine. Putin is already in Ukraine.

Trump says he will overhaul healthcare because he knows more about healthcare than anyone. After failing, "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated."

Trump insists his inauguration was the largest ever, despite photographic evidence to the contrary.

Trump shoves PM of Montenegro aside just to get to head of the pack for photo op.

Trump promotes birther conspiracy.

Trump insists Obama wiretapped him.

Trump says he'd like to date his daughter.

Trump says Cruz's father was involved in Kennedy assassination.

Trump campaigns hard for House healthcare bill, has big celebration in the Rose Garden telling Republicans, "It's going go be an unbelievable victory...when we get it through the Senate", then turns around and tells GOP Senators that the House bill was "mean".

Trump: "I thought being President would be easier than my old life."

Trump: "You know, it really doesn't matter what the media write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass."

Trump: "Despite the negative press covfefe."

Trump: "Why can't we use nuclear weapons?"

Trump: "I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier."

Trump: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me." (Probably because of all those years of dedicated, patriotic military service...oh, wait...)

We already know all this so just move on, it's old hat and really boring.  You must have a lot of time on you hands to dig into the past, try looking into the future, you might learn something, given how so many on here are future tellers.:wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

11 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Try re-reading the post. Farang 1979 never said that Trump was admitting that he colluded. He was referring to the fact that Trump finally admitted that the Russians meddled with our election. Your lack of reading comprehension IS worth commenting on. It is appalling.

11 hours ago, iReason said:

Which of course, is untrue.

No surprise coming from a pathological liar.

Obama’s secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin’s election assault

"Over that five-month interval, the Obama administration secretly debated dozens of options for deterring or punishing Russia, including cyberattacks on Russian infrastructure, the release of CIA-gathered material that might embarrass Putin and sanctions that officials said could “crater” the Russian economy."

"Obama also approved a previously undisclosed covert measure that authorized planting cyber weapons in Russia’s infrastructure, the digital equivalent of bombs that could be detonated if the United States found itself in an escalating exchange with Moscow."

"The project, which Obama approved in a covert-action finding, was still in its planning stages when Obama left office, it would be up to President Trump to decide whether to use the capability."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national-security/obama-putin-election-hacking/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-high_russiaobama-banner-7a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.76b4862faa02

President Obama's plan was in action starting with immediately expelling 35 Russian spies.

The one who is doing nothing, is the inept, possibly complicit fool in the White House.

Now, why is that?

Instead of looking into this and listening to the advice about the possible traitor Flynn,

the inept one spent his time disparaging the entire intelligence community.

Now, why is that?

And the cowardly congress sit's idly by. Where's the outrage? This is and act of WAR for christsake. Our country is run by cowards and traitors to the American way of life/democracy. If you could only read my mind........

9 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

Try re-reading the post. Farang 1979 never said that Trump was admitting that he colluded. He was referring to the fact that Trump finally admitted that the Russians meddled with our election. Your lack of reading comprehension IS worth commenting on. It is appalling.

I would suggest you follow your own advice, because if you say that Farang 1979 never said Trump admitted, no he never said admitted, he said acknowledged and here is the exact quotes, the first relating to a Tweet and then what Farang 1979 wrote about colluding, then you really have no idea, do you?.

"Another tweet. "The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?"

"So now he's finally acknowledging there was Russian collusion in an election he WON."

My comprehension is appalling?  Please, if you want to criticise, then at least get it right before you do so, as to write what you have and then get caught out is more appalling.  And don't worry, I don't need an apology, just to show others how foolish one is when they go where angels fear to tread is enough. :wai:

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

while Trump "retains the authority" to dismiss special counsel Robert Mueller, "he has no intention of doing that."

Trump's cited authority is fake news.

By law (a special counsel “may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General”) Trump cannot directly fire Mueller. He can only endorse his firing by Deputy Attorney General, Rod J. Rosenstein acting currently as the Attorney General who in turn can only fire Mueller for cause. Rosenstein currently says he does not believe there is cause to remove Mueller. Trump could theoretically fire Rosenstein et cetera down the chain of command until he got someone who'll agree to fire Mueller; but obviously a messy political process. Trump could also fire Attorney General Sessions and hopefully replace him with someone who'll fire Mueller; might be a messy Senate hearing for such a nominee that Trump can't afford.

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/06/can-trump-fire-mueller/

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

I would suggest you follow your own advice, because if you say that Farang 1979 never said Trump admitted, no he never said admitted, he said acknowledged and here is the exact quotes, the first relating to a Tweet and then what Farang 1979 wrote about colluding, then you really have no idea, do you?.

"So now he's finally acknowledging there was Russian collusion in an election he WON."

My comprehension is appalling?  Please, if you want to criticise, then at least get it right before you do so, as to write what you have and then get caught out is more appalling.  And don't worry, I don't need an apology, just to show others how foolish one is when they go where angels fear to tread is enough. :wai:

Sorry, but you twisted his words. Farang1979 did use the word "collusion", however, if you read in context (something most trumpettes have no use for) it becomes obvious to all but the most obtuse that he was not referring to Trump admitting to collusion in the same sense as the investigation. No, as I stated earlier, Trump was not admitting to any wrongdoing on his part, just to the fact that Russia did meddle in our election. Trump stated Russian collusion (which is factually correct...Russia would have had to engage in collusion amongst their various governmental entities in order to pull off their meddling), not his own collusion with them. Not only is your reading comprehension appalling, your understanding of grammar and context is sadly lacking.

3 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

We already know all this so just move on, it's old hat and really boring.  You must have a lot of time on you hands to dig into the past, try looking into the future, you might learn something, given how so many on here are future tellers.:wai:

It isn't old hat, it proves he is an idiot. If you think an idiot as a president is boring, I would call it dangerous but each to their own.

Looking into the future: he will be impeached and a couple of his helpers will be facing criminal charges.