New dengue campaign launched

rooster59

New dengue campaign launched

By The Nation

b1bfd86e1096dc0ecfdadee80dd3850b.jpeg

The estimated economic burden of dengue to Thailand has risen dramatically in recent years and is now costing up to Bt290 million, ranking the country in second place in Asean after Indonesia.

In an attempt to bring the figures down, the Asian Society for Paediatrics is taking the opportunity of Asean Dengue Day to launch a United Fight Against Dengue campaign aiming to raise awareness about prevention, lower incidence by 25 per cent and reduce the mortality rate by 50 per cent in 2020.

The campaign is being headlined by the Society’s president Prof Usa Thisyakorn in partnership with the president of the Pediatric Infectious Disease Society of Thailand, Prof Dr Tawee Chotpitayasunondh and the President of the Infectious Disease Association of Thailand, Prof Terapong Tantavichien. Their research has shown that most new cases are identified in the 10 to 30 age group, and that the same old four serotypes are responsible for the virus. They refute claims that a new serotype has emerged, blaming false reporting for spreading panic among people.

Dr Terapong says the severity can be the result of many factors and points out that many patients are not in rush to go to see the doctor when they start getting sick as symptoms are similar to the flu. Dr Tawee notes that while Thailand’s mortality rate is the lowest among the Asean countries, there is much need for concern because of the severity of the disease.

Dengue is widespread throughout the tropics, with variations in risk influenced by rainfall, temperature and unplanned rapid urbanisation.

Prevention is best medicine and so, the experts say, don’t let yourself get bitten by mosquitoes, empty water from places where mosquitoes breed such as unused utensils, trash cans and flower pots. Other preventive measures include wearing long pants and long-sleeve shirts or using a mosquito repellent containing DEET when visiting places where dengue is endemic. Avoid areas with standing water and stay indoors in the morning until two hours after sunrise and at sunset to further reduce your risk of being bitten. Or be vaccinated against the disease. Efficacy is around 65.6 per cent and is most viable for those aged nine to 45 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/life/leisure/30318994

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-24

".... using a mosquito repellent containing DEET when visiting places where dengue is endemic. "

So how about a map of where dengue is endemic? Harm image of Thailand?

(vaccine) " Efficacy is around 65.6 per cent and is most viable for those aged nine to 45 years."

That leaves me out.... I've had dengue twice, caught both times in Jomtien. I guess I just didn't keep myself from being bitten by mossies. Silly me.

26 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

".... using a mosquito repellent containing DEET when visiting places where dengue is endemic. "

So how about a map of where dengue is endemic? Harm image of Thailand?

(vaccine) " Efficacy is around 65.6 per cent and is most viable for those aged nine to 45 years."

That leaves me out.... I've had dengue twice, caught both times in Jomtien. I guess I just didn't keep myself from being bitten by mossies. Silly me.

How long before you saw a doctor after getting sick? How was it treated?

One explanation of the breeding cycle Aedes aegypt the  mosquito associated with the spread of Dengue suggests the eggs can be laid on the sides of containers/areas and  if necessary for some considerable time wait for the water to arrive, making control very difficult.

Given the Thai climate I would suggest vaccination is the way forward. The reasoning for this, difficulty in eradicating the Dengue carrier mosquito, also the mosquito will pick up dengue from an infected human and spread to other humans by bite.

Thus if we can decrease incidents and scope of the Dengue virus in humans, the spread of Dengue is immediately limited

So lets get with a vaccination programme and control Dengue in approximately 65% of the population  - while continuing to work on the neutered male mosquito programme.

Because I feel, advice to monitor and reduce standing water around the home, in a country soaked in water 7 months of the year, roadside drainage, klongs, irrigation ditches, and, ponds, providing a plentiful supply of breeding grounds, and is actually wearing a bit thin.

Edited by 473geo
clarity

16 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

How long before you saw a doctor after getting sick? How was it treated?

dengue can't be treated, all the hospital can do is to support your body to help it fight the disease. I had dengue several years ago, the doctor i saw said that i was dizzy and had no appetite because i was old ( i was a super fit 64 year old at the time) ''you don't have dengue fever'' he said as i pointed out the red spots on my body. I went straight to a private hospital, blood and urine were tested, the doctor said you have dengue fever, immediate admission as my body was going into shock , ''can i go home first and get some pyjamas'',  ''No!! You a near a total collapse''. 4 days in hospital but it took about 6 weeks of convalescence before i felt fit again, it is an awful debilitating disease.