Wedding ends in chaos as groom arrives with only half a dowry!

webfact

Wedding ends in chaos as groom arrives with only half a dowry!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- A Korat wedding on Saturday descended into chaos when a groom arrived with only half the agreed dowry.

He was meant to bring 100,000 baht and some gold but the cheapskate showed up with 50,000 and no excuse.

Both families started verbally fighting and so the groom scooped up his offerings and left them to it.

But it ended up going to the cops - with relatives of the bride reporting the matter to Ban Phusa police.

Yesterday the father of the bride Bunsuan Wareesri, 51, said it was none of his doing and he felt sorry for his daughter.

"Both sets of relatives should have had a lovely day - instead they were hot headed and started arguing," he said. "My daughter went back to work in Bangkok in the night.

He called it a misunderstanding but said there was still hope that the nuptials would be reorganized on a smaller scale at a later date.

The groom has agreed to compensate the family for wasting their money.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-26

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember when the grandmother of one of the girls in the village took after the groom on the wedding day when he only showed up with 12000 baht and a 1 baht gold chain.  It took her family to subdue her.  The wedding went on but I haven't seen the groom around much since then, only the young offspring and the dogs that they dumped on Granny to take care of when they moved to Bangkok to work!

Oh ,the dowry. It's part of the culture, you know?

I'm trying to think of a single time I've done something controversial and used the excuse "But it's my culture".

As far as I know, there are no laws stating that you have to follow your culture. You can use common sense and apply that. I told my missus that in my culture the father of the bride pays for the wedding. But I'm willing to let that slide if she's willing to let the dowry slide too. There's two cultures mixing and coming out with a great result. 

I think the world should adopt a new and universal culture called  'mind your own business'. 

Lucky escape for the unnamed groom. However, looks like he'll have to pull another rabbit out of the hat next month. Perhaps he can let one rip at an inauspicious time or turn up wearing black and a lizard on his shoulder. He needs to be creative.

Just now, Dave67 said:

Been with my missus for 13 years , she looked after me and my young children when I split up with my first wife. We got married 3 years ago and no dowry but got her a decent ring , But of course we have built a house on family land and we look after Yai and my wifes brother. They in turn have accepted my Farang looking kids as there own. She comes from a huge family 2 brothers 4 sisters and they are all decent working people. They never asked for or expected a dowry from me

Well this is Thailand, so we should expect crazy people, especially where money is concerned. I think they both got away lightly. She knows he is a cheapskate and he knows her family are a bunch of bloodsuckers, so stopping before an actual wedding took place is most fortunate.

In Thai tradition the dowry was for the Bride, to provide for her life if her husband died or could not provide for her because he could not, for some reason work

Or alternatively, it was to provide for her parents old age, since there was n such thing as government help for the aged then.

This tradition has been corrupted by imported  Western values, so now the Bride is regarded as a marketable commodity

44 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

In Thai tradition the dowry was for the Bride, to provide for her life if her husband died or could not provide for her because he could not, for some reason work

Or alternatively, it was to provide for her parents old age, since there was n such thing as government help for the aged then.

This tradition has been corrupted by imported  Western values, so now the Bride is regarded as a marketable commodity

Pesky foreigners. 

loved post 11, no dowry but built a house you will never own and look after the family, and of course the usual waste of space brother, they all come with a hanger on brother, peed myself laughing.yep they are smiling alright.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

she works for AIS so no. 

I can't see that mentioned in the article, but you probably have personal knowledge about this event, as you seem to have about most subjects discussed on this forum.

Maybe AIS has an office in soi nana?