Wedding ends in chaos as groom arrives with only half a dowry!

webfact

My young Thai friend who lives in Sweden paid a 400k baht dowry + 2 baht gold and plane tickets for his bride back to Sweden. The brides family paid for the wedding ceremony and party. He didn't get anything of it back. 

Quite expensive considering he is going to have to legally marry her in Sweden too. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NextStationBangkok said:

The dowry will be spent by bride family in few bottles in few weeks. Nothing really worth giving money to in-laws rather deposit in wife's name with condition.

Actually, it is the girls family that pays for the wedding and they do use the dowry to pay for it, usually with what is left over is handed back to the bride. 
I am not going to deny there are families that will use the leftover dowry for themselves, but when you see the leftover dowry being given back, you know you are 
part of a good family.

3 minutes ago, maxman71 said:

I guess it would depend on two things: first thing being if she yak-yaks and complains too much, the second being her personal hygiene habits.

Very astute!

That night of the wedding (that never took place)she would of - I take it - be in bed with her husband pleasuring each other as newly married couples do. The wedding was scuppered and she went off to work in Bangkok!! I think I would go for belly button up in this particular case. But I could be wrong!

18 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

half of a downy because he pissed the other half away on whiskey and beer.

I know the feeling. Some years ago I received a large bonus payment for good work performance. I spent half on booze, women and gambling and the other half I pissed away.

2 minutes ago, freethinker said:

My young Thai friend who lives in Sweden paid a 400k baht dowry + 2 baht gold and plane tickets for his bride back to Sweden. The brides family paid for the wedding ceremony and party. He didn't get anything of it back. 

Quite expensive considering he is going to have to legally marry her in Sweden too. 

Was this girl 20 years younger than the groom? I am just curious what the conditions are and how they got to this figure.

Just now, maxman71 said:

I know the feeling. Some years ago I received a large bonus payment for good work performance. I spent half on booze, women and gambling and the other half I pissed away.

Isn't that how we all piss away our bonusses?

19 minutes ago, maxman71 said:

A bit like George Best when he was asked where all his money went.

Fast women, slow horses, strong drink, a weak will and the rest I just wasted.

Great stuff. Keep it coming!

Edited by owl sees all

When my wife's sister got married there were hundreds of guests invited.  I was staggered and asked why so many?  Turns out that every guest brings money in an envelope for the happy couple that usually goes to the brides parents towards the cost of the wedding.

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

In Thai tradition the dowry was for the Bride, to provide for her life if her husband died or could not provide for her because he could not, for some reason work

Or alternatively, it was to provide for her parents old age, since there was n such thing as government help for the aged then.

This tradition has been corrupted by imported  Western values, so now the Bride is regarded as a marketable commodity

Also to show status symbol for Thai's how much money and gold in the display during engagement.

One my friend young Thai girl, she have good savings, she is ready to help her future husband to pay his dowry to pay for her parents, if she found the man is worth for her life. She is now 31, so far none is found worth for the wedding.

Sad part of this story is brides family are only interested in money, not the couples happiness only money.

The marraige is doomed before it has begun.

I went to a wedding in Lamphun with the girl friend. Apparently the size of the dowry brought many smiles to those attending with lots of good face involved. She said the dowry would be handed to the mother-in-law and she could take from it what she wanted, the rest would be returned.

Best these things are determined well before hand, and nobody gets screwed. Otherwise all hells going to break out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sad part of this story is brides family are only interested in money, not the couples happiness only money.

Not necessarily. But, with regard to the dowry, part of it is about the money, part is about saving face, and part is about extreme conformity, and convention. Most Thais live in a box so small, that a mouse would suffocate in there. Few see outside the walls of this very small box, and are able to comprehend a world that is different than all of the rituals, silly ideas, and conventions they have been taught. 

If the groom to be had been more of a man, he would have approached the family in advance, explained the situation, and more than likely, someone would have put up the additional 50,000, just for a show, then gotten it back in the end. It would have saved alot of embarrassment for all, and perhaps earned some trust and faith with the bride's family. He could have tried to pay it back later. Something. But, just to show up like that, after an agreement was made? Cowardly, small minded, selfish, and plain old dumb as a buffalo.

27 minutes ago, freethinker said:

If they registered their marriage in Thailand, they only report with proof of such to the authorities in Sweden. 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If the groom to be had been more of a man, he would have approached the family in advance, explained the situation, and more than likely, someone would have put up the additional 50,000, just for a show, then gotten it back in the end. It would have saved alot of embarrassment for all, and perhaps earned some trust and faith with the bride's family. He could have tried to pay it back later. Something. But, just to show up like that, after an agreement was made? Cowardly, small minded, selfish, and plain old dumb as a buffalo.

Maybe he had had a change of heart and this was his way of bringing things to a close. Better this way than just no turning up. It could be that he found out about her 'evening work'.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yah but no matter how you look at it or how you arrange it, a deal's a deal. Same as paying for half of a beer at the rubbidy. Very strange.

43 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A bit like George Best when he was asked where all his money went.

Fast women, slow horses, strong drink, a weak will and the rest I just wasted.

Great stuff. Keep it coming!

yeah man, I'd buy the wife for 50 and sell her, and so on and on.....

Love this stuff.

8 hours ago, owenm said:

No money, no honey even for the locals.. And 51yo bride.. Surely not first time bride.. 

Her Father was 51 not the bride. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck

4 minutes ago, digger70 said:

A dowry only has to be paid if it is the brides First Marriage,One doesn't have to pay a dowry for Second hand wifes,That's a Thai Rule!

That might be the case in your location but it certainly isn't in mine.

Basically, there are no rules in Thailand - other than where money can be extracted it will be. Where Farangs are concerned a dowry will always be expected.

I did see once case where the mother of a twice married daughter demanded a dowry from her current gik !!

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Oh ,the dowry. It's part of the culture, you know?

I'm trying to think of a single time I've done something controversial and used the excuse "But it's my culture".

As far as I know, there are no laws stating that you have to follow your culture. You can use common sense and apply that. I told my missus that in my culture the father of the bride pays for the wedding. But I'm willing to let that slide if she's willing to let the dowry slide too. There's two cultures mixing and coming out with a great result. 

I think the world should adopt a new and universal culture called  'mind your own business'. 

Indeed; culture my anus.

In 2017 among people of (reasonably) civilised countries, it is shameful to haggle over the price of a woman, a human being, like one would over a horse at the market-place.

Married 2 times to Thai, one in the US for 7 years and now 8 years in Thailand. Never paid  any  "Dowry". 

I believe it s a scan. If you want me to marry you and be a honest husband who provides well, then, thats enough.

No family members have ever asked me to pay up.. because they can tell about how I am.

If you are a drunk, they want your money as a insurance guarentee. And if you are a drunk, you will loose your money and they will take everything they can.

I am assuming most of these  scams are coming out of BKK areas?

My opinion, don't care if you believe it or not.