I'm curious - Internet Connection

dingdongrb

Okay, is it just me or does anyone else experience this with their internet connection? It seems that when it first starts to rain I lose internet connection completely. It doesn't matter if the rain is a slight drizzle or a complete downpour, I lose total connection. The connection loss only occurs for a few minutes (2 or 3) and comes back full strength even if the rain is continuing.

For some details, I have ToT 8MB service and live in the Banwangtan area.

I surely don't want to call TOT Service on this annoyance as they'll probably make things worse and honestly my service is great except for the first couple of minutes a new rain occurs.

So, is it just me or does anyone else experience this?

3BB In Hang Dong close to HD market.....

Have not experienced that problem...

A couple of times in 3 years it has slowed down & they came out & cleaned contacts at the pole = OK.....We never saw them....

Years ago I had ToT dsl internet in Ban Wang Tan.  I had problems with the connection dropping.  ToT came and looked and said the connection from the pole to the house was corroded.  This connection was open to the weather.

I made a cover for the connection out of an empty plastic soda bottle and the problem seemed to go away.  I guess because the rain and elements had a harder time getting to the wires connected to the small line box.

I do not have ToT presently.

WP_20170627_10_13_47_Pro.jpg

Edited by hml367
add picture

15 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Okay, is it just me or does anyone else experience this with their internet connection? It seems that when it first starts to rain I lose internet connection completely. It doesn't matter if the rain is a slight drizzle or a complete downpour, I lose total connection.

No it's not just you - several internet providers come with the 'feature' of not protecting their connection stations from rain (especially outside BKK) - often there's not need for much of it to loose connection. They will send out a service guy each time over and over again.

The repair time is highly correlated to the speed of his motorbike.

43 minutes ago, jrward42 said:

I live in Bangkok and don't get it with my internet but Truevisions always turns off and there is a message to check my cables. Sometimes a few seconds before it rains. So watching a lot of Netflix at the moment.

I have tried a few movie channels, and they have all given me serious problems except for Netflix.

Netflix has everything and I strongly recommend it.

59 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Years ago I had ToT dsl internet in Ban Wang Tan.  I had problems with the connection dropping.  ToT came and looked and said the connection from the pole to the house was corroded.  This connection was open to the weather.

I made a cover for the connection out of an empty plastic soda bottle and the problem seemed to go away.  I guess because the rain and elements had a harder time getting to the wires connected to the small line box.

I do not have ToT presently.

WP_20170627_10_13_47_Pro.jpg

hi there, what did you cover exactly? do you have a photo of what being protected there? what does it look like?

18 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

hi there, what did you cover exactly? do you have a photo of what being protected there? what does it look like?

The connection of the phone wire from the utility pole to the house wiring.  Picture number 1 is the connection, picture number 2 is with their cover, and picture number 3 is with the plastic bottle cover I made.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2 hours ago, hml367 said:

The connection of the phone wire from the utility pole to the house wiring.  Picture number 1 is the connection, picture number 2 is with their cover, and picture number 3 is with the plastic bottle cover I made.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It appears you have the military version of internet connection

We had a standard internet cable installed 2 years ago by TOT and whilst paying a bill recently I asked about the fibre optics etc.

they said

"oh, no promprem we can change you, everything fibre optics now"

"how much"

"all free"

"leally"  (me taking the pish)

"only pay for new modem 300bt"

"ok..do it"

and so, last week, they came,  three days later and installed a new fibre optic from the source, and rewired me a new modem.

Exactly same strength 8mb and no change to our bill, still 690bt (i think)

I am not a stones throw from BWT also and has not dropped out for me during any thunder storm, my photos are uploading in 2 seconds, as opposed to 45 seconds for the last 2 years.

so, if you dont have fibre optics....go and change it for free (300bt for the modem)

i now have a spare modem...what to do with it?

well done TOT

It's not only internet. I've lost count how many times TRUE TV gone off the air at the start of a storm. And sometimes the power goes off at the mere sight of a rain cloud on the horizon LOL :) That said, this year has been a lot better than past years - touch wood.

3BB seems to be getting worse though. I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to get a cheap backup internet account to fall back on. Perhaps I should start a new topic on that though.

Stubby

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

That said, this year has been a lot better than past years - touch wood.

If you are referring to the Banwangtan area it's because they have supposedly replaced some of the bare un-insulated powers lines with insulated ones, from what I read. 

Does anyone KNOW the reason TRUE goes offline during thunderstorms.

One person suggested to me that the rain clouds get between the satellite and  your receiving dish.

I personally have no technical knowledge as to why it happens.

john

Does anyone KNOW the reason TRUE goes offline during thunderstorms.
One person suggested to me that the rain clouds get between the satellite and  your receiving dish.
I personally have no technical knowledge as to why it happens.

john

Sky used to have issues with rain with the older sat dishes. I presume True still uses old tech for its dishes here either on your property or at its downlink points supplying cable customers.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

15 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

We had a standard internet cable installed 2 years ago by TOT and whilst paying a bill recently I asked about the fibre optics etc.

they said

"oh, no promprem we can change you, everything fibre optics now"

"how much"

"all free"

"leally"  (me taking the pish)

"only pay for new modem 300bt"

"ok..do it"

and so, last week, they came,  three days later and installed a new fibre optic from the source, and rewired me a new modem.

Exactly same strength 8mb and no change to our bill, still 690bt (i think)

I am not a stones throw from BWT also and has not dropped out for me during any thunder storm, my photos are uploading in 2 seconds, as opposed to 45 seconds for the last 2 years.

so, if you dont have fibre optics....go and change it for free (300bt for the modem)

i now have a spare modem...what to do with it?

well done TOT

Are you sure it is the same speed/price ?  

Last November AIS offered  100 Mbps Fibre Optic to me [have mobile phone x2 since 2003]   went with TRUE as they were the only option in the Village when the house was built in 2003/4.... changed to  Fibre Optic 100 Mbps before Christmas + free home phone calls [have not a home phone]  Free 100 baht mobile calls per month + TRUE IPTV box Free [never watched] + Fibre Optic Router Free...  cost 690 baht per month.... 12 month contract..................NOTE:  At moment TRUE are offering  Fibre Optic 200 Mbps for 790 baht per month..

As per  Topic... rain and loss of internet... not anymore since Fibre Optic installed..

10 hours ago, ignis said:

Are you sure it is the same speed/price ?  

Last November AIS offered  100 Mbps Fibre Optic to me [have mobile phone x2 since 2003]   went with TRUE as they were the only option in the Village when the house was built in 2003/4.... changed to  Fibre Optic 100 Mbps before Christmas + free home phone calls [have not a home phone]  Free 100 baht mobile calls per month + TRUE IPTV box Free [never watched] + Fibre Optic Router Free...  cost 690 baht per month.... 12 month contract..................NOTE:  At moment TRUE are offering  Fibre Optic 200 Mbps for 790 baht per month..

As per  Topic... rain and loss of internet... not anymore since Fibre Optic installed..

yep its miles better than before, as I said just had to pay for change the modem/router for 300bt.