Video: Every motorcyclist's worst nightmare - the dreaded car door opens....

webfact

Video: Every motorcyclist's worst nightmare - the dreaded car door opens....

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzUwOS8yNTQ4NDIyL185MjcxMjQ4MF8wMzY2MzY4NzItMS5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- It is a nightmare scenario for a motorcyclist - when a car driver opens a car door right into the path of your vehicle.

And on this occasion it was perhaps equally disastrous for the car driver.

A video posted to Facebook on a Chonburi accident page was featured on Thai national TV yesterday with the footage being shown multiple times.

A passenger gets out of a car by the side of the road and is soon after followed by the driver. As he is standing looking at something a motorcycle hits him from behind at considerable speed.

The car door almost comes off as the motorcycle slides down the road.

Sanook reported the story but there was no word as to what injuries were sustained by the driver and rider.

Sanook said the motorcycle was travelling at great speed.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-28

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always worried when I open a car door from the driver's side here. More worried for the motorcyclists than myself. I always try to open slow and have a good look before I open it far enough for me to get out. But sometimes you forget and then you think about what you might have done to someone if they had been unable to avoid you.

This seems to be a case of reckless speeding though. The door was open long enough to be seen. I feel bad for the car driver.

first you see the door partially open then it fully opens & by the clock on the screen it remains open for appr. 5 sec. so if the rider was travelling at that speed i would guess he had traveled an easy 50mt with time to stop or divert as there was no traffic

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

This door is opened properly, if they do it fast it's the passengers' fault but in this case it's the motocy's fault.

Do what fast....opening the door fast is the passengers fault?

Hardly a topic for frivolity as the person who stepped out of the car was killed instantly.  Why was the motorcyclist riding at that speed so close to parked vehicles as to be affected by an opening car door? The blame lies 100% with him. Any experienced cyclist or motorcyclist knows to leave that extra bit of space between you and a parked car. 

1 hour ago, vadid said:

The biggest surprise about that video is that the motorbike did not come through on the inside, which is what they generally do in Thailand

How could the motorcyclist pass on the inside, the car is parked up against the kerb,.... notice the parked motorbike in front of the car.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

This door is opened properly, if they do it fast it's the passengers' fault but in this case it's the motocy's fault.

The door opened into the motorbikes lane, had the driver looked first, and even as he was getting out, he would not have been hit.

Anyone who has had driving/riding lessons and taken a test should know anticipation is one of the most important skills while driving, and also that giving a full car's width of a gap while overtaking any vehicle, be it a car, motorcycle or even a bicycle is standard procedure. If a car's width can't be given then one should not overtake. The headline of this post is wrong. It should read 

"Driver's worst nightmare.....". 

Until a sufficiently thorough testing system is applied here these kind of reckless and unnecessary accidents will continue to occur. It's so sad that so many people are needlessly killed or injured due to this. 

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I am afraid to say guys that you are all wrong in saying its the motorcyclists fault its not,  it is the car drivers fault I know it sounds crazy even to me but thats the way it is, now I'll explain why.

A few months ago this happened to me I parked my truck in front of a shop on a parking area about the width of a car in so the door actually opened on to the road, there was some traffic as it was 16:30 school finishing time I opened my door about 6 inches and looked in my side mirror and waited for a good gap in the traffic before opening enough to get out it must have been at least a minute later a woman in a car smashed into my door bending it upwards not outwards I could not get out of my side because her car was so close to mine so I had to get out of the passenger side.

My Thanachart insurance man came to the scene at the end of a lengthy discussion he said it was my fault I asked WHY he said because when you open a door onto a road it is always your fault no matter what.

A good job I wasn't outside of the my truck like that poor guy in the video was or that crazy woman would have run me down.

Unbelievable but thats the way it is... 

Edited by Hooliganzone
Spelling mistake

90% of Thai drivers only know 3 things about driving, Steer Wheel, Power pedal and Brake pedal they think the mirrors are for checkng their hair and putting makeup on.

i give them a wide berth when passing a parket car.

14 minutes ago, shaurene said:

90% of Thai drivers only know 3 things about driving, Steer Wheel, Power pedal and Brake pedal they think the mirrors are for checkng their hair and putting makeup on.

i give them a wide berth when passing a parket car.

Not too sure about the car brake pedal or bike  brake lever.

34 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

Anyone who has had driving/riding lessons and taken a test should know anticipation is one of the most important skills while driving, and also that giving a full car's width of a gap while overtaking any vehicle, be it a car, motorcycle or even a bicycle is standard procedure. If a car's width can't be given then one should not overtake. The headline of this post is wrong. It should read 

"Driver's worst nightmare.....". 

Until a sufficiently thorough testing system is applied here these kind of reckless and unnecessary accidents will continue to occur. It's so sad that so many people are needlessly killed or injured due to this. 

The headline is wrong because it was most probably written by a Thai person...lol

Edited by Hooliganzone

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Clown on the motorbike 100%  at fault,.

Driving to close to parked cars, not paying attention, had the whole (empty) road to use.

Some jurisdictions rightly see that it's the person who opened the door who is at fault:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/car-doors-and-bike-riders

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Hardly a topic for frivolity as the person who stepped out of the car was killed instantly.  Why was the motorcyclist riding at that speed so close to parked vehicles as to be affected by an opening car door? The blame lies 100% with him. Any experienced cyclist or motorcyclist knows to leave that extra bit of space between you and a parked car. 

The driver was killed? 

Has that been reported since the OP? Do you know what happened to the motorcyclist?

(genuine questions)

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Why did it take nearly a week for this to hit Thai Visa?

They needed the righteous indignation to build up to a frothing level. When getting out of a car into the roadway it is YOUR responsibility make sure it is safe. The onus is not on those travelling down the carriageway.

l often have people opening car doors in front of me and its not as if they wouldn't see my truck in their mirror if they bothered to look before they got out..

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

They needed the righteous indignation to build up to a frothing level. When getting out of a car into the roadway it is YOUR responsibility make sure it is safe. The onus is not on those travelling down the carriageway.

l often have people opening car doors in front of me and its not as if they wouldn't see my truck in their mirror if they bothered to look before they got out..

Yes use of the mirror is essential

Mirror, signal, Maneuver, the signal could have been dispensed with in this case, but not the mirror

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

The passenger was totally fine (other than shock perhaps) it was the driver that got hit.

My bad. I forgot that in Thailand we drive on the wrong side.:passifier:

I often nearly get killed trying to get into my parked car... and sorry it is not my fault. I cannot predict someone will come out of a side road onto the main road as I ready to get into my car. So... no one knows where the motorcyclist was coming from. I do agree that most of the time when someone opens the door to get out that they are irresponsible and don't look. However, nothing is set in cement and this van van bike guy really seemed to be going way too fast.

2 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

My bad. I forgot that in Thailand we drive on the wrong side.:passifier:

I often nearly get killed trying to get into my parked car... and sorry it is not my fault. I cannot predict someone will come out of a side road onto the main road as I ready to get into my car. So... no one knows where the motorcyclist was coming from. I do agree that most of the time when someone opens the door to get out that they are irresponsible and don't look. However, nothing is set in cement and this van van bike guy really seemed to be going way too fast.

Well please try not to do that when you are actually moving, unless of course you covet Thai citizenship 

I clearly remember whilst doing my training course for motorbike license in the UK

being regularly told to ride at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from parked cars.

This also constitutes to be failed by an examiner during a test if you ride within 3 feet 

of parked cars.

I also remember questioning the instructor, what if the road is narrow should i still apply

the 3ft rule ? and the answer is yes always, even if you need to position your bike as close 

as to the centre division markers of the road.

This then makes the motorcycle rider at fault for incorrect positioning on the road according 

to UK training standards.