Khmer Rouge records centre opens to public

geovalin

The Legal Documentation Centre attached to the Khmer Rouge tribunal opened to the public yesterday, thanks to financial aid from the Japanese government.  Speaking at the inauguration ceremony in Phnom Penh, Deputy Prime Minister Bin Chhin said the centre will play an important part in preserving history, educating people and preventing the return of another murderous and genocidal regime. 

“The centre will house legal and related documents from the Extraordinary Chamber in the Court of Cambodia’s trial proceedings and serve as a place for the public, as well as national and international researchers, to explore topics pertaining to the trial of former senior leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime,” Mr Chhin said. In case 002/02, the lead co-lawyers for the civil party asked the tribunal to give its backing to 22 reparation projects to help remedy the suffering of victims of the regime, which ruled from 1975 to 1979.

“The Cambodian government received five requests to fund and implement reparation projects from civil party co-lawyers,” Mr Chhin said. “Among the five, the Legal Documentation Centre is one which the government approved.” 

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39764/khmer-rouge-records-centre-opens-to-public/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 28/06

Not to make light of the subject, but i asked my missus, long ago, about what she understood about Cambodia and its bloody history. When i asked her about the Khmer Rouge, she said that she thought it was a lipstick.

Ok, i'll get me coat.