No Smoking

loong

Hello all,

A friend of mine is a bit concerned with the new no smoking laws. He has a shop house type Thai/Farang eating place and assumes that smoking is no longer allowed. He's just had to shell out 20,000 Bt for copy CD's so doesn't relish another fine!

He's asked me to print up a sign. He's done one in English and wants one in Thai.

กรุณา

ห้ามสูบบุหรี่

would do the trick I imagine, but is there a more polite or better way. Also if he wanted to add "By Law" how would you write this.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Loong

Edited by loong

Thanks for the correction Tywais I've got wonky eyes today. Luckily I managed to do some editing b4 anyone noticed, I had manged to make 4 mistakes in the original post and only spotted 3 :o

Trouble is when I'm typing in the thai font is so small I can hardly see it! When I look at the posting with the larger font I can then see my mistakes. MY keyboard is not too reliable as well so not everything I type gets printed

I've edited it again, so hopefully correct now.

Apart from the error, is the actual wording suitable or could it be better? I will try to include the symbol as you suggest - Good idea :D

Edited by loong

Apart from the error, is the actual wording suitable or could it be better? I will try to include the symbol as you suggest - Good idea :o

The only problem I see with being too polite is it sounds like a request and is not obligatory. I don't think I've seen a no smoking sign in Thailand prefaced with "please". Is your friend Thai, he should be aware of the cultural requirements of its' (please) useage in this context.

Regarding 'law', not sure if this is what one would use > ตัวบทกฎหมาย which indicates a statute (rule, law).

I've never been quite sure about "Garuna", it's never used in common speech only, it seems to make an order more polite. i.e. In aircraft "Please fasten your safety belts." it's not really a request more like a polite order.

Thanks for you suggestions, do you think that I should leave out "Garuna"? ( can't be bothered to type in Thai - scared to make mistakes again)

Edited by loong

Thanks for you suggestions, do you think that I should leave out "Garuna"? ( can't be bothered to type in Thai - scared to make mistakes again)

I personally would leave it out, it doesn't fit with ห้าม which means "prohibited" or "forbidden".

The standard phrase seen on printed signs is โปรดงดสูบบุหรี่ where 'bpròod' is a formal request word similar to 'karúnaa'.

I do not think you need to include 'by law', but if you do, perhaps

โปรดงดสูบบุหรี่

เนื่องด้วยจากเป็นการกระทำต้องห้ามโดยกฏหมาย

'Please refrain from smoking, since it is in breach of the law.' (long, polite version)

or

ด้วยกฏหมายร้านอาหารร้านนี้เป็นเขดปลอดบุหรี่ 'By law, this restaurant is a smoke-free zone.'

The phrase เขดปลอดบุหรี่ is standard sign lingo for 'smoke free zone'.

I agree 'karúnaa' and 'hâam' do not go together.