Chinese tourist family injured as Phuket elephants bolt during jungle trek

webfact

Chinese tourist family injured as Phuket elephants bolt during jungle trek

Eakkapop Thongtub

1498726453_1-org.jpg

The Chinese family of four, from Shanghai, were thrown clear from their elephants after the pachyderms were spooked by a dog barking and bolted into the jungle. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A family of four Chinese tourists were injured during a Phuket elephant jungle trek this morning (June 29) after a dog barked, spooking the elephants they were travelling and causing them to bolt.

The family were on the backs of two elephants when the accident happened, explained “Mr Jack”, one of the two mahouts who led the trek through the jungle on a path leading up to the Big Buddha viewpoint.

The trek, at the “ATV Seaview on Tour” elephant camp in Soi Yodsanae, started a little before 9:30am.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-family-injured-as-phuket-elephants-bolt-during-jungle-trek-62773.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-30

14 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I thought they had stopped these animal abuses? Or was I just dreaming?

For westerners, yes, it is now exclusively the Chinese, Koreans  and Russians doing this.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

For westerners, yes, it is now exclusively the Chinese, Koreans  and Russians doing this.

No. Plenty of Westerners still go for elephant rides and the one in the OP is one of the most popular, being on the taxi route to Big Buddha and paying the drivers a good commission.

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

No. Plenty of Westerners still go for elephant rides and the one in the OP is one of the most popular, being on the taxi route to Big Buddha and paying the drivers a good commission.

That's not what I see and hear.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's not what I see and hear.

They may be outnumbered by the Chinese but it's still on the list for many Western tourists, though not perhaps like before. I still get asked quite regularly, though the more eco-friendly elephant camp in the north of the island seems to be increasing in popularity amongst the more discerning tourists.