What kind of bird is this that makes the loud "hoo hoo" sound?

4 hours ago, Bonefish said:

And another nature-hater. Go ahead, make my day!

4 hours ago, Bonefish said:

And another nature-hater. Go ahead, make my day!

The thought of otherwise intelligent people killing for no reason other than "it wakes me up" or "I wanted too" or "proves I'm a man" is beyond comprehension, and is disgusting. Why not befriend some soi cats who'll do it for you, at least they'll do it for their food.

1 minute ago, PeCeDe said:

The thought of otherwise intelligent people killing for no reason other than "it wakes me up" or "I wanted too" or "proves I'm a man" is beyond comprehension, and is disgusting. Why not befriend some soi cats who'll do it for you, at least they'll do it for their food.

I think the original post was a weak attempt at a joke, but I agree with your sentiments, particularly in the knowledge that, if as a species we continue as we have been doing, magnificent creatures such as these will have largely been wiped out in our grandchildren's lifetime.

7 minutes ago, Xobtsiwt said:

I think the original post was a weak attempt at a joke, but I agree with your sentiments, particularly in the knowledge that, if as a species we continue as we have been doing, magnificent creatures such as these will have largely been wiped out in our grandchildren's lifetime.

I don't think he was joking.

I remember years ago someone triumphantly coming back from a hunt up in northern Canada proud as hell because he'd shot a female Adult Bear in the Canadian North, and then proceeded to boast that afterwards her bear cubs had been running around him wondering what happened, and he should have shot them too. Grrr.

My real problem is I see this brutality morphing into, it's ok to kill people if you don't like their politics.

hmm, not sure how close this is to the original OP. Sorry.

13 hours ago, off road pat said:

Years ago, one of my Canadian friends on Koh Samui asked he's Thai neighbour what Bird this was ?

The Thai neighbour answered "you can not eat " !!! Ok.. my friend said, but how you call it ? "You can not eat" was he's answer again !!!

So, my friend's conclusion was If you can not eat it !? it's not important to name it !!!!

Best regards !

Thai nickname is 'nok men' which means bad smell. Because of their being carrion eaters they are not eaten, even though much smaller birds are fair game for kids with catapults. 

This bird reminds me of the English Magpie in size and habits, Both like to run through underbrush to hide instead of flying, shy and retiring, Their low flying 'swoop' gets them hit by traffic often as they cross the road,

10 hours ago, godblessemall said:

Thai nickname is 'nok men' which means bad smell. Because of their being carrion eaters they are not eaten, even though much smaller birds are fair game for kids with catapults. 

This bird reminds me of the English Magpie in size and habits, Both like to run through underbrush to hide instead of flying, shy and retiring, Their low flying 'swoop' gets them hit by traffic often as they cross the road,

THx for the info, a few things I knew already but thx anyway !!! "Nok Men" ? I will remember this !!!

On 6/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, steelepulse said:

Thanks everyone. I have some open spaces next to me and there are a number of them and once they get going, they like to out do each other. Mating call perhaps?

When you hear a couple of Greater Coucals calling to each other, the one that has the lowest tone, is the female.