Cost of living in BKK... USD 640 a month!

visaTerebi

I do wonder about the hippy/free spirit types who despise the system and "the man", how they wind up in their silver years.    Worried about my niece, she's like that.  Menial jobs, just enough to pay the bills and get by on Kauai.  Moved back to the mainland 6 months ago, 25 years old now, playing small gigs and sidewalk busking with her guitar around San Francisco, traveling, etc.  She's seems to be having a great time living life day by day but.... 

She still has time. She will get sick of backpacking etc as she approaches 30. She then has a full 30 year's to get it together and keep her head down

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder about the hippy/free spirit types who despise the system and "the man", how they wind up in their silver years.    Worried about my niece, she's like that.  Menial jobs, just enough to pay the bills and get by on Kauai.  Moved back to the mainland 6 months ago, 25 years old now, playing small gigs and sidewalk busking with her guitar around San Francisco, traveling, etc.  She's seems to be having a great time living life day by day but.... 

...like most human beings, she will find herself. Most people don't die of starvation anymore.

42 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Sounds like you are intimated. How can you judge a person's qualities by the coffee they drink or cars they drive.
I have always found its the poor that make the most noise. The wealthy don't have anything to prove

Yes empty barrels make the loudest noise.

Many friends that patronize Starbucks, drive nice cars and

live well also contribute a great deal of money to charitable 

organizations, crippled children's Homes and other worthwhile 

causes, they just never brag about it.

i am not trying to save money by boiling my tap water for drinking.  i drink several liters a day and do not enjoy carrying the water bottles to my place every day.  i also do not want a delivery of 200 bottles taking up space in my room.  plus, i do not like generating all the plastic waste.  my friends in hong kong boil their tap water for drinking. that is where i got the idea.  before that, i felt like a water delivery boy as i lugged 5 liter jugs to my place nearly every day.

Have you considered a water filter, the small ones you can install above your kitchen sink?

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

Wrong, I could go there but I don't because it doesn't give me something.

Starbucks is more than just good coffee.  A spotlessly clean dining

area, comfortable seating, friendly staff, GREAT COFFEE and cakes

all air conditioned,  You're invited to read the daily newspaper  or

work at your computer.  How can anyone complain about the price

of a cup of coffee there?

You can always go to 7-11 get a cup of instant coffee for about B15 and 

Go sit in the heat and street filth and get fleas from the soi dogs.  A good

example of existing or living!!

45 minutes ago, Meljames said:

I know what the OP posted. He is selling himself short. He's in his best earning years bragging about living as a welfare kid. Might want to check yourself before calling people fools. 

Millions upon millions of people are in their best earning years in the West and they're getting absolutely nowhere.

A whole army of 25-35 year olds are delivering takeout in the gig economy.

Seems to me that if someone's going to live on $640 a month, it's a no-brainer to do so in a country where it goes furthest.

Your example is ridiculous.

Useless to discuss with you.

Have a nice day

By the way, many 7-11 selling now fresh coffee. And it's good.

People are now arguing about Starbucks.

People in your country that are on the dole are likely patronizing Starbucks, lol.

Again, why do so many expats when they move here become such snobs? Is it to "fit in" with their wanna be Thai hiso "girlfriends".

Some people like Starbucks, some don't. 

Oddly I never likes Starbucks in Canada, but drink it here occasionally because I find it better than local coffee where I live.

Please all hiso farang continue arguing  about the other class places you visit.... such as Scoozi and Bonchon anyone?

My, oh my!!...on reading some posts here, snobism seems at it's apotheosis!!..

By experience, it is obvious that those who brag or socially condescend the soi's or simple life in Thailand, are usually from the lower western social levels, who (think) they struck it rich, perhaps due to a favourable exchange rate on the Baht and their homeland currency.....

The real ones with class, real money behind, never brag, don't rant on the conditions of the soi's and are in no need of boasting behind a computer....just a fact of life....:jap:

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Millions upon millions of people are in their best earning years in the West and they're getting absolutely nowhere.

A whole army of 25-35 year olds are delivering takeout in the gig economy.

Seems to me that if someone's going to live on $640 a month, it's a no-brainer to do so in a country where it goes furthest.

A hard point to argue. One thing for certain though is, his chances of moving to a higher paid position in Thailand are close to nil whereas in the US he'd at least be paying into FICA and possibly building some connections. Also what opportunity does he have at building employable skills here?   It  sounds that he's thrown in the towel before making the effort.

Edited by Meljames

On 01/07/2017 at 0:33 PM, Thai Ron said:

The day I need to resort to this kind of extreme budgeting to live in Thailand is the day I know it's time to ship out.

If he does not have the money to live here, where will be ship out to? Somalia, Bangladesh?

About earning a wage here and making connections.

Out of curiosity I joined one of them expat groups on Facebook.

I was surprised how many young people work in Bangkok in different fields.

Most of them also have a work permit.

Also, when someone asks for help, people in the group seem eager to offer help unlike on anonymous forums..... my guess is because on Facebook people can actually "see" who is behind the computer.

I see even Burmese nannies making a decent wage.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

OP, 630usd can be cut down further if you are ok with dormitories, you can get for about 1500 a month where very low level workers live. Also you can try go to noodle vendors before closing time, they may want to sell left over food at cost price. Water, fill up your bottle in Lotus food court if there is one close to you, it is free.

OP, 630usd can be cut down further if you are ok with dormitories, you can get for about 1500 a month where very low level workers live. Also you can try go to noodle vendors before closing time, they may want to sell left over food at cost price. Water, fill up your bottle in Lotus food court if there is one close to you, it is free.

Female friend lives at Phahonyothin Road, Kaset Intersection. Room has no real window, only to hallway. Small wet bathroom, room about 16m^2. Rent is 2000 Baht. Has AC and cable TV

15 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

No time for idiots today 12PM  Tee time...Crass...I don't care!

On a 12 hour clock there are words to determine which part of the day it is: midday or midnight.

Tee time? I guess you play golf.

Just an observation ...

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

12 hours ago, YetAnother said:

it does beg the question as to why the income requirements for retirement visa are 65000 baht /month

I'd love to see it raised to 10 million a year or more.   

18 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I'd love to see it raised to 10 million a year or more.   

Yep, why not. Should be more.

Thai economy is booming, in surplus on all fronts. It's a fact.

Don't need skint expats. Only 10x entry fees for National Parks and monuments etc, make it 500x.

In fact, they should increase the tourist entry visa fee to 20,000 for 30 days.

Who needs foreigners? They can go somewhere else... And they will.

And same goes for Thais overseas.

:jap:

And Happy Birthday... (D/M/Y)

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

On a 12 hour clock there are words to determine which part of the day it is: midday or midnight.

Tee time? I guess you play golf.

Just an observation ...

Tee......not tea!!  PM is afternoon. Of course GOLF. Anyone

with a 5th grade education knows that.

17 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Is this satire? Starbucks has NEVER had good coffee. It has dishwater sold at 4 times the price it should be. If you think Starbucks sells good coffee, you know nothing about coffee and I would recommend that you switch to tea. Also, in almost every Starbucks or Starbucks-type store I've been into, they have weak WiFi, annoying music, threadbare furniture, annoying patrons, poorly trained staff and excessively cold air conditioning that will make you sick if you spend more than an hour there. Starbucks is a place for underemployed losers to hang out. It's the McDonald's of coffee and an insult to real coffee lovers everywhere. They start playing cheesy Christmas music on November 1st for chrissakes.....