Prayut could decide to run in election: Prawit

rooster59

Prayut could decide to run in election: Prawit

By The Nation

a10e5fdcfa07b22b8e969a12b37e0106.jpeg

CIRCUMSTANCES in the future could prompt Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to seek election, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday.

Responding to a suggestion by politicians that Prayut should run for election, Prawit said the premier had said he would not enter politics, but might if circumstances proved compelling. It was a personal matter and up to him, the deputy PM said.

Prayut would know what’s best for him when the time came, he said. 

Prawit said he had no idea if he he would support Prayut, his junior classmate at military school, if the latter chose to seek election. 

However, Prayut said it was still far too soon to say if he would run in the upcoming election.

Prayut said he would not change anything to please political figures in particular, including the recently passed 20-year national strategy bill.

“I’ll also preside over the national strategy committee,” the premier said, referring to the panel that will have the power to monitor if future governments abide by the long-term strategy.

“If they understand the strategy then it’s fine. But there may be concern that they do something beyond what the strategy says. They may cite public needs to do so or want the country to return to problems and Thai people to suffer again?” he added.

Prawit, meanwhile, insisted that he would not enter politics or help run the next government.

“If an elected government is formed, the National Council for Peace and Order would be dissolved,” he said, adding that the road map to an election remained the same.

Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam said constant resignations of some of the National Steering Reform Assembly (NRSA) members to set up or join political parties should not have a negative effect on the government.

Wissanu said there was speculation that some of the junta-appointed NRSA members would set up a party to support Prayut to resume his premiership in an election.

The deputy, said this should be no problem as long as the government itself is not involved.

“The NRSA is going to be dissolved late next month. There is no problem for them to support anyone [in the election],” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319589

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-01

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“If they understand the strategy then it’s fine. But there may be concern that they do something beyond what the strategy says. They may cite public needs to do so or want the country to return to problems and Thai people to suffer again?” he added.

This language is rather confusing; I suspect that it is a literal translation from Thai.

The meaning, however, seems clear. If they don't do what I tell them, then they are gone.

Anyone else read it this way?

Cheers

28 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This language is rather confusing; I suspect that it is a literal translation from Thai.

The meaning, however, seems clear. If they don't do what I tell them, then they are gone.

Anyone else read it this way?

Cheers

His words and promises are really not worthy for debate. Read it and than bin it.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Citation needed.

Anyone read of any politicians floating this balloon on behalf of papa bear?

I could be wrong, but it might be this story he is basing that statement upon

He has been saying he has no interest in power, and that he will be thrilled when it is time to hand over power. He is about as honest as a charlatan. And he seems to really be enjoying the power, and the gravy train.

However, if it were a truly democratic election, I think he would get less than 15% of the votes. He is not popular. I cannot remember the last time I spoke with a Thai person who liked him, or approved of his performance. He is only popular within his own mind.

Which is better? ?

Head of the appointed senate?

Head of the super board that governs the policy and budgets of all major government agencies over the next 20 years?

Or a miserable pm. 

Why anyone would  even consider the post is beyond my understanding 

“I’ll also preside over the national strategy committee,” the premier said, referring to the panel that will have the power to monitor if future governments abide by the long-term strategy."

Going to be interesting to see how this guy handles operating in the post election environment where Section 44, attitude adjustment camps and repressive state censorship no longer exist.

Will he still be throwing bananas at people?

595781c9d172e_ScreenShot2017-07-01at6_04_23PM.png.05cc4d7a37ac591cc624941b8cafd8b7.png

Edited by Smarter Than You

12 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

“I’ll also preside over the national strategy committee,” the premier said, referring to the panel that will have the power to monitor if future governments abide by the long-term strategy."

Going to be interesting to see how this guy handles operating in the post election environment where Section 44, attitude adjustment camps and repressive state censorship no longer exist.

Will he still be throwing bananas at people?

595781c9d172e_ScreenShot2017-07-01at6_04_23PM.png.05cc4d7a37ac591cc624941b8cafd8b7.png

Oh I should imagine that whatever Orwellian acronym becomes his title after any possible government succeeds the Junta (maybe an election although my money is on some sort of appointment, probably of Abhisit, supported by acclamation by Sutheps "Great Movement" ) the  man will retain those powers in some form or other - they are far too useful.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Responding to a suggestion by politicians that Prayut should run for election

Ha ha brilliant. I can see that brown-nose comment so clearly "oh Prayut you're so amazing the people love you of course you should run for election"

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I could be wrong, but it might be this story he is basing that statement upon

5 hours ago, coulson said:

Thanks for the reference.

Southeast Asian  nations with disparate customs and cultures have traditionally been in thrall to the strong leader in uniform. Notably South Korea, Taiwan and Indonesia have had long love affairs with successive military 'democracies' but still managed to evolve with much less drama than Thailand has. South Korea broke from the tradition around 1987 and quickly became a technology pioneer. I think Taiwan may have become an 'Asian Tiger' about ten years earlier while still under military rule. However that administration was hell bent on growth and being able to look down both industrially and commercially on mainland China as a viable, independent nation. Certainly if there was a huge neighboring country ready to swallow you up, it would be an incentive enough. Indonesia lived under the shadow of Sukarno's guided democracy and Suharto's various 'dynasties' but pretty much turfed them out about 20 years ago. More recently, Myanmar has reset the clock in a major way.

It looks like all Thailand's successive military governments did was look after themselves in some sort of unspoken acknowledgement that there was always going to be another counter coup replete with the grandiloquent speeches about moving forward, quelling corruption and all done in the name of king, country and keeping everyone happy.

It is cheering to see Abhisit and Yingluck publicly endorse this notion that the army could be part of a new democratic process but in the most likely event that they do not get anything like a mandate to govern, will they be willing to genuinely play their part as a constructive and necessary, minority opposition party or will they say that it wasn't the result they wanted, declare it all null and void and once again decide they alone know what is good of the country?

The big difference is that for the most part, the Taiwanese, South Korean and Indonesian armies were self-serving. I don't think the same can be said for the Thai military though. I don't think they have ever been 'their own man' when it came to staging a coup but is it possible that this is changing too?

RE "Prayut could decide to run in election"

Why do I get the feeling that temporary in this setting means permanent...??...:whistling: