Men's cargo shorts in Thailand -- ugly or hideous?

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

They look exactly what they are; cheap and nasty, even if expensive to buy.

I would not recommend wearing them for those who like to be seen as professionals in a credible light. They will make you appear as someone down on their luck, living on a basic income who hasn`t quite made it in life. (A bit of a loser).

Hmm.

Good points but in Pattaya could be a benefit to not be seen as a walking ATM. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wow64 said:

That's not the only thing I am worries about in life.. impressing thai girls.. to be honest a fat wallet in my pocket or the car I drive impresses them a lot more then a pair of pants. 

On a day off or going to the local 7/11 cargos are very practical. 

Yes you have a point, but cargos are still hideous to look at.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm.

Good points but in Pattaya could be a benefit to not be seen as a walking ATM. 

You would need to be see as a walking ATM if you are one of the fat, facial haired, tattooed brigade JT. :cheesy:

49 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

On a day off or going to the local 7/11 cargos are very practical. 

Shoplifter?

You got me.... will be on thaivisa soon. 

Farang busted stealing in 7/11 says he used his cargo pants as they were practical. Under questioning the Farang admitted to doing this on every day off he had. Police then charged the farang with 52 other shoplifting charges for each weekend last year. 

11 minutes ago, wow64 said:

You got me.... will be on thaivisa soon. 

Farang busted stealing in 7/11 says he used his cargo pants as they were practical. Under questioning the Farang admitted to doing this on every day off he had. Police then charged the farang with 52 other shoplifting charges for each weekend last year. 

You are so lucky!

The police did not take into account that last year was a leap year.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Nope, there are still a few about.  I got lucky. 

Yep, brought a bunch over with me from last shopping trip to San Diego.  If anyone ever gets down that way, look up "GTM".    http://www.gtmstores.com/     One of those consolidators that collect odd sizes and end of season, unsold surplus from the large Dept stores.  Think they have online access as well, but I've never looked at it or compared to in person/on the rack prices.

Think I got mine at Costco - but that's always a short stocking duration crap shoot....

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

What about the 6 foot tall skinny jocks in kilts.:cheesy::cheesy:

Wearing a kilt in certain areas of Pattaya might get you into trouble...

Some of the "ladies" might think you are horning in on their business...

I'm just sayin...

Edited by sfokevin

I can handle cargo shorts, but the calf length not shorts, not strides that had a brief outing in Oz some years ago still persist in Thai, mainly with those old enough to know better. They are hideous.

Calf length shorts? We called them clam diggers. Girls wore clam diggers and looked great.

IMG_0185.PNG

Fat men in clam diggers looked like fat boys.

IMG_0184.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

hey...baggy full length rumpled cotton khakis with braces (suspenders), no shirt (no shirttail probs), runnin' shoes and a red bandana head rag...clip on shades de rigueur...no tats...

and my wildly beautiful 19 y.o. niece is proud to be seen down the market on the arm of her uncle tutsi (she carries the vegetables)...

plus, I'm 67 y.o. and I'll wear anything that I want...

16 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Any warm weather region....

Function over form.....

I disagree.  Cargo pants are not even good for hot and humid weather.  They are made of coarse and thick material.  Cargo pants are also heavy, especially with pockets overloaded.  Thin with a fitted form,  100% cotton shorts with stripes or of pastel colors looks a lot sharper.

1 hour ago, 212Roger said:

I disagree.  Cargo pants are not even good for hot and humid weather.  They are made of coarse and thick material.  Cargo pants are also heavy, especially with pockets overloaded.  Thin with a fitted form,  100% cotton shorts with stripes or of pastel colors looks a lot sharper.

Possibly the ones you wear are made of coarse & thick material.....The ones I wear, when I wear them, are not....

I only wear 100% cotton of varying solid colors ....Wouldn't care to wear stripes personally....Under stated possibly.....

Still do have some proper walking shorts in the U.S.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I wear em, nearly every day except for visits to immigration, dentist, temple etc

I like the longer ones ( below the knee ) and the thinner ones I.e. Not the ones with thicker material and buckled side pockets etc.
Similar to this:
IMG_3137.JPG

I bought a couple of pairs like this in Japan at Uniqlo but they don't have them here.

I do admit to having a pair of dark blue camo shorts that for some reason don't fit me anymore [emoji20]

19 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

The lack of success "trying" is what brought many to Thailand in the first place.  Their failure in that regard had little to do with cargo pants.

There seems to be a little confusion as to whether the evolution being discussed is to do with the pants or the wearer.

Pretty sure Darwin only dealt with the evolution of things with a pulse, although he probably would be pleased to see the strides we've made in clothing.

darwin.jpg.9d5cefb62c1ed5799a0a37441d0ad934.jpg     jeans2.jpg.b54de2e0c4522b28a274709ac0961b4f.jpg

only because Charles Darwin was not familiar with Cargo Pants. For instance if the turtles at the Galapagos islands wore cargo pants it would had being a totally different story.  

Try and argue with that.  Boom!!

Edited by sirineou

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

only because Charles Darwin was not familiar with Cargo Pants. For instance if the turtles at the Galapagos islands wore cargo pants it would had being a totally different story.  

Try and argue with that.  Boom!!

LBo_ilV1qaeJUmcBVC9l9HSLsGa5x8O-SI_pOxOqjkovhdpXjdunvAz3XrqoCq__k1U0UrcPPyezI09_daxQtWrsfbGpFDx8AG67NlGZ4OQIMy90raiT5rlJZ7azz-x0TQ9y0_4qMP5ETqIyreCqAHT7Ena6eazHMlo_jDpVMN_YRRLCP8kv880dA-DJ6ZzVybttLXuJ=w236-h236-nc.jpg

On July 3, 2017 at 6:20 AM, 212Roger said:

Maybe the ones made in Thailand. There are plenty of comfortable, lightweight ones available in the West. 

My good friend often comes her sometimes with his old man,his dress sense is appaling,singlets[vests] and the worst assortment of brightly coloured shorts you have ever seen,his old man comes sometimes as well,singlet afl style short sports shore and flip flops[they are aussie's] beleive me cargo shorts are sartorial elegance compared to this.

1 minute ago, marko kok prong said:

My good friend often comes her sometimes with his old man,his dress sense is appaling,singlets[vests] and the worst assortment of brightly coloured shorts you have ever seen,his old man comes sometimes as well,singlet afl style short sports shore and flip flops[they are aussie's] beleive me cargo shorts are sartorial elegance compared to this.

They sound like typical "high class" Aussies !  Enjoy their company and ignore their apparel