You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Home made Barbecue suggestions needed

Tofer

I'm looking for practical suggestions and designs for a built in barbecue for our outdoor wet kitchen area and wondered if any of you had built anything similar and could give some good advice of how best to build it. It will be built into a low walled area with the usual Thai style concrete worktop and I assume a charcoal pit with a griddle over and an ashtray on a lower shelf would suffice.

I'm sure  some of you Aussie contributors have loads of experience in this field. We never had that much call for them in UK to justify building one in situ. Thanks in anticipation.

Depends on what sort of bbq you are planning. Just grilling stuff for you own table or small parties or smoking and other slow-cooking methods.There's a wealth of designs and ideas on the internet. Pretty much no problem with chicken and pork here in LOS but getting decent beef may be a challenge depending on where you are.

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Depends on what sort of bbq you are planning. Just grilling stuff for you own table or small parties or smoking and other slow-cooking methods.There's a wealth of designs and ideas on the internet. Pretty much no problem with chicken and pork here in LOS but getting decent beef may be a challenge depending on where you are.

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a search on the Internet.

It would only be for grilling stuff for our table and parties at home, just your regular home barbecue, nothing special or commercial involved. 

I would go to Makro and buy a grill there, i've seen great ones with the burners at the sides so all drippings fall on the bottom, not on the burners.

They are stainless steel so can always be cleaned.

For me the best grill can adjust the flames very well (or the height of the racks or both) and are easy to clean. Electric ignition is also a plus.

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

I would go to Makro and buy a grill there, i've seen great ones with the burners at the sides so all drippings fall on the bottom, not on the burners.

They are stainless steel so can always be cleaned.

For me the best grill can adjust the flames very well (or the height of the racks or both) and are easy to clean. Electric ignition is also a plus.

Thanks, I'll have a look and consider that option.

Saw one recently at a function;-

.  A 44 gallon steel drum cut in half like two half moons.

One half mounted horizontally on suitable height steel legs, a motorized spit turning device bought on line rather cheap.

A small hole at each end on the ends accommodated this device. Maybe screwed in place? not sure.

Bar B Que fuel beads in the bottom started with fire lighters.

The top half was hinged one side and suitable handles to open/close.

Took about 45m max for tender delicious chooks skewered on the turner.

A cooking plate could be easily mounted in place of the spit turner, and maybe  combined with a raised steel fire

tray to speed up the heat compared to the slower spit cooking.

Need to be a DIY metal handy person.

There is no foundry in Thailand; Good sized (alone) cast-iron plates/griddles/grills are hard to acquire. The 'smaller-sized'  imports  are expensive and may break during transport. S/steel is readily available but IMHO won't give you optimum bbq results.

On 2017-7-1 at 3:45 PM, NanLaew said:

Google braai designs rsa.  We live outside 

Thanks all for your input. Being of a certain generation, Google and YouTube don't automatically spring to mind, but now I've had a look I'm inundated with ideas!

All I need now is somebody to make a decision for me, 555....

However you end up building it, burn it a few times before actually cooking to get all the fabricated contaminants off the parts that food will touch. They won't kill you but they sure will make the food cooked taste nasty.

Might also consider mesquite chips for smoking rather than just straight coal.

Anyone know where a person can buy the lava rocks for a gas grill?

Lots of places to buy a gas BBQ grill, but they all seem to come without the porous lava rocks that soak up the grease and give the meat some flavor when it burns off.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Anyone know where a person can buy the lava rocks for a gas grill?

Lots of places to buy a gas BBQ grill, but they all seem to come without the porous lava rocks that soak up the grease and give the meat some flavor when it burns off.

Gadenshops sell lavarock from Srilava. the biggest size stones cost 350 for a big bag.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived