Cambodia's Angkor heritage site earns 52.1 mln USD in 6 months

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, July 1 (Xinhua) -- Revenue from ticket sales to foreigners visiting Cambodia's Angkor archeological park reached 52.1 million U.S. dollars in the first six months of 2017, up 66.8 percent compared to the same period last year, according to a press release on Saturday. The 12th century site received 1.23 million foreign tourists during the January-June period this year, up 12.9 percent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise's press release.

Most tourists to the park are Chinese, South Koreans and Americans. The remarkable rise in the revenue was due to the hike in ticket prices in February. A current entrance fee to the site is 37 U.S. dollars for a one-day visit, 62 U.S. dollars for a three-day pass, and 72 U.S. dollars for a week-long pass.

Situated in northwest Cambodia's Siem Reap province, the Angkor archeological park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is the kingdom's most popular tourist destination.

source http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-07/01/c_136409661.htm

I was at Angkor Wat last month. It is an enjoyable and interesting place to visit.

They are spending a lot of money restoring the site, but I suspect that a lot of the ticket price income goes to the Elite.

54 minutes ago, terryw said:

I was at Angkor Wat last month. It is an enjoyable and interesting place to visit.

They are spending a lot of money restoring the site, but I suspect that a lot of the ticket price income goes to the Elite.

No doubt .

Anytime of the day you can see luxury vehicles with goverment plates and chauffeur hauling kids of the higher  echelon government officials. 

In Phnom Penh I counted 3 parked at the ice cream parlor. Obviously some of that ticket money collected is going to temple restoration but $52 million? No way. 

The corruption seems to be accepted. 

the entrance fees go to sokimex owned by a friend of hun sen.

the restoration and maintenance work is done by apsara

which depends on foreign donations.

i have been there twice a long time ago and would not want to go there now

because of the crowds.

but if you have never seen it you must go there once in your life

despite all of the politics.