July 8, 20179 yr Oh, and I like a "pint" of beer....A litre (1000ml) of beer would be better...merican pint 473ml british pint 568 mlMetric is much easier to understand.
July 8, 20179 yr 28 minutes ago, johng said: A litre (1000ml) of beer would be better...merican pint 473ml british pint 568 ml Metric is much easier to understand. No, the pint glass is a perfect size , that's all that matters....
July 8, 20179 yr 7 hours ago, transam said: The USA metric screw threads have been in place for over 30 years on ride manufacture, but it seems they like using the pound for weight and the USA gallon, plus MPH, which to me is great... The world has two means of measuring temp which we all know about. I myself am quite happy with understanding Fahrenheit readings, no ploblem... Oh, and I like a "pint" of beer.... Aussies have ponies, middies, schooners, pots and jugs. Go figure.
July 8, 20179 yr Author On 7/7/2017 at 10:18 PM, bazza73 said: Precise, or accurate? There is a difference to scientists. Obviously there would be no way for me to know if it is accurate. It's quite precise and one can very easily see the difference between 72° C and 79° C on the gauge - prior to the recent difficulty the gauge needle always sat just a bit above the 70° mark & now it sits very close to the 80° mark. There's a wide space between the two marks and the needle moves up progressively as the engine warms, never wagging about or displaying any lack of precision. Thus I'm absolutely confident in reporting the change in temp, as well as quite confident there must be some cause Edited July 8, 20179 yr by ClareQuilty
November 23, 20178 yr I have a 1994 405 Mi16 series 2 in Australia. It ran about 72 degrees when I bought it in 2001. After owning it about 10 years the temperature began to fluctuate and it would push water out of the cooling system. The mechanic said it was the thermostat and replaced it. The car then ran about 87 degrees as it should have done because previously the thermostat was not operating. However, the temperature would still fluctuate. I noticed the smell of coolant regularly after the car was stopped and eventually figured out it was the radiator cap seal which had developed a groove where it contacted the steel neck of the radiator filler. I took off the seal, flipped it upside down and made a latex shim from an old bicycle tube and glued the flipped seal and shim together onto the radiator cap with silicone sealant. There is no coolant loss, no smell of coolant and no temperature needle movement after 87 degrees.
November 23, 20178 yr It's actually quite surprising the amount of fluctuation in coolant temperature a vehicle can tolerate. Recently, my 1989 300 CE Benz was overtaking at high revs in Doi Saket. A big bang, I thought I had hit some rubbish on the road. Drove it to Chiang Rai, noticed temperature was drifting up to 100 C when idling. At speed, back down to 83 C, still a bit above its normal 80 C. When I reached my destination, I took a look under the hood. The plastic radiator fan had disintegrated, so the cooling effect was by air flow alone. Radiator shroud and fan replaced 5000 baht later. Lucky the radiator itself was undamaged. A lesson for those people who try to save money by using water only in their car radiator. The mechanic said if I had not had the coolant elevating the boiling point of the water, I would in all probability have had the radiator hoses burst, and the engine would have cooked itself.
Create an account or sign in to comment