Keep your gates closed! Dog owners told to be more responsible after another little girl is savaged by a vicious pet dog

webfact

2 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Not only dogs i was walking around our village with my wife trying to keep fit, when we were attacked by a chicken (Cockerel) i was laughing when it went for my wife, then suddenly it went for me, and received a well aimed kick but not before it pecked my foot drawing a little blood, on a more serious note there are many small children that play on the little green we have here in the village  and it would have been a traumatic experience if one of them got attacked by this feral bird, the wife promptly took a picture of my wound and presented it to the owner who now keeps the thing in her garden!

My neighbours fighting Cock came into my garden and challenged my dogs.

Took me an hour to clean up the feathers before he came home.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I don't think he had a lot of choice in the matter.....the child was attacked by a dog and he is the owner of the dog.

Sometimes things happen in this country that make me think why do I stay here as there are better options . Something so basic as to control the overpopulation of soi / feral dogs / cats seems to be of no concern to the powers that be .  Its as if they want to stay in the dark ages and likewise with motorist education . Injuries and loss of life from whatever event seem to mean little . The laid back style of living here has much going for it but just a few small tweaks could make things so much better .

If I was the father of the young girl attacked by the dog I would seeking retribution in one form or another .   

In Australia in my town if your pet dog gets out and bites someone it will cost you up to Aus $10,000 fine and often does, that is Bt 260,000 and it is likely your dog will be put down...in Thailand there are about 1 million or more wild dogs that belong to no one, most of them are quite capable of biting any tourist.

When in Thailand I walk everyday 8 to 10 km.  I always wear good boots to kick dogs who try to bite me (I'd rather wear slippers), a big stick to whack any that growl come to close and a pocket with 3 or 4 good size rocks to throw as extra weapons, always!!  No need for this caution back in Australia. I'm dog lover would you believe.

I have stayed for 3 months at a time in Chiang Mia, Nong Khai, Rayong, Cha-am and  other places for shorter times over the years. Thais are reluctant to take any advice on lots of subjects from anyone, they regard it as criticism, the standard answer to the dog problem as prompted by the monks is "we don't kill anything".  As a result there are millions of mongrel sometime savage dogs roaming the country at will some with  rabies...TIT...5555

When will they ever learn???   when will they ever learn.

3 minutes ago, David Walden said:

In Australia in my town if your pet dog gets out and bites someone it will cost you up to Aus $10,000 fine and often does, that is Bt 260,000 and it is likely your dog will be put down...in Thailand there are about 1 million or more wild dogs that belong to no one, most of them are quite capable of biting any tourist.

When in Thailand I walk everyday 8 to 10 km.  I always wear good boots to kick dogs who try to bite me (I'd rather wear slippers), a big stick to whack any that growl come to close and a pocket with 3 or 4 good size rocks to throw as extra weapons, always!!  No need for this caution back in Australia. I'm dog lover would you believe.

I have stayed for 3 months at a time in Chiang Mia, Nong Khai, Rayong, Cha-am and  other places for shorter times over the years. Thais are reluctant to take any advice on lots of subjects from anyone, they regard it as criticism, the standard answer to the dog problem as prompted by the monks is "we don't kill anything".  As a result there are millions of mongrel sometime savage dogs roaming the country at will some with  rabies...TIT...5555

When will they ever learn???   when will they ever learn.

well said dave  i feel the same way

1 minute ago, Happyman58 said:

kids before dogs is the way i think here it is dogs before kids

Yes and doesn't it just drive you crazy . I guess nothing is going to change soon  as it seems  the Buddhist belief and practice of care for animals tolerates the soi dog syndrome which makes me wonder if the monks ever have problems on their early morning food collection walks .

In my town In Aus any dog roaming wild you have 7 days to claim it from the pound.  If you claim it you will be charged $60 per day for the local Govt to look after it plus a fine of about Aus $1000 on top of the fee plus any extras.  If it has a tag the Local Govt will contact you, you pay the fine. If you collect it the same day you will save the boarding kennel fees.  After 7 days the Local Govt will usually allow anyone to pay the fees and costs and take it home.  Mostly they will waver the fine if some one will take it, often nice people do, they can have it legally, if no one wants it it gets put down.  Most western countries have similar rules...TIT

Edited by David Walden
part left off.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Be a real buddhist, kill 1stray dog, and save hundreds of lizards, flies, chickens, snakes.

In all seriousness there will come a point where a cull will have to happen , either because of their numbers or an outbreak of rabies when someone of importance is bitten .

3 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Not only dogs i was walking around our village with my wife trying to keep fit, when we were attacked by a chicken (Cockerel) i was laughing when it went for my wife, then suddenly it went for me, and received a well aimed kick but not before it pecked my foot drawing a little blood, on a more serious note there are many small children that play on the little green we have here in the village  and it would have been a traumatic experience if one of them got attacked by this feral bird, the wife promptly took a picture of my wound and presented it to the owner who now keeps the thing in her garden!

It sounds like chickens are worse then dogs.  Monks do kill chickens...5555

Discipline dog owners, fine!!!

But what about the stray dogs who can attack bystanders? 

This is the governments responsability to erradicate! - either from sterilisation or more radical methods that would be more efficient but also displease animal lovers like myself.

At one point general public interest must prevail all the rest.

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

So you had a faster scooter than the dogs had to outdrive them ? Sorry, couldn't help it. Guess I need a coldie.

I guess they were probably not THAT willing to catch me - because normally dogs "accelerate" faster than scooters.

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Accidents do happen and if what the owner said is true then I am impressed he stood up took responsibility .

Yes it is good but the bang kaew are a particularly agressive breed and I really pity the little girl. Just imagine if it was your daughter, how terrifying and probably bad dreams and disfigurement for life, for her. Just an accident?

13 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Dogs are a complete MENACE in Thailand and very few are kept responsibly. Down my road there are tons of them wandering around in packs and Thais are clueless and leave their gates open constantly.  Dumb is as Dumb does and more will be attacked.  Destroy that dog immediately and heavily fine the 'owner'. 

Agreed but who in the hell will fine the owner? Such an invasive problem, in what must be every corner of Thailand. A real blight on the land that I love to be in and call home. Even my Mrs and almost everyone I know, Thai and Farang hate this situation. Article 44 please!!

22 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Yes it is good but the bang kaew are a particularly agressive breed and I really pity the little girl. Just imagine if it was your daughter, how terrifying and probably bad dreams and disfigurement for life, for her. Just an accident?

From Wikipedia:-

"This breed will be affectionate with its family, will get along well with children and a properly socialized dog will be very gentle with smaller children."

Depends how it's been brought up, I suppose!

2 minutes ago, wvavin said:

They got everything wrong. It is the owner and not the dog!

Do you suggest all dog owners should take their dogs to dog training school?

If that is not what you suggest, then what is your point?

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Certainly dumb & stupid

Why should one have to close their gate ( even though it's a sign to let people know not to come in " thai logic" )

The street dogs should be rounded up & sent to Cambodia & as for the owners of said dogs they should ensure that their gate is closed or on a leash when outside 

But non of them give a crap as to what others are doing unless it approaches upon their property

Just had son chased by a new dog that decided to join the other 3 already here

You're getting owned pets confused with Soi dogs. Soi dogs don't have gates to close them in - they breed in the streets, empty lots and parks around town.

It is a bit ridiculous to build a story about a pet that got loose and savaged a girl when there are thousands of dirty, disease-ridden and dangerous Soi dogs everywhere, just waiting to take a chunk out of my leg as I ride or walk past.

Keeping a few pets locked inside gates is the least of everyone's problems.

23 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Accidents do happen and if what the owner said is true then I am impressed he stood up took responsibility .

There is a simple solution to ensure these 'accidents' do not happen. Have a lead tied to a fixed object in your yard. When you want to open the gate, put the trash out, move the car/motorbike  out, etc. put your dog on the lead. When the gate is closed again unleash the dog and carefully sneak out.

Getting off your butt and training your dog that it is not to go out also works.

19 hours ago, oldhippy said:

How?

I recall watching a video, USA or UK, I can't remember, where potential dog owners at a rescue center were interviewed to find out how they intended to keep a dog. Many failed.

Different reasons:

no intention to exercise their dog, (when was the last time you saw a Thai walking a dog? Dogs are often let out to self exercise and poop in Thailand).

dog to be kept in yard at night. rescue center said dog must be in the house at night

etc.

10 minutes ago, Keesters said:

There is a simple solution to ensure these 'accidents' do not happen. Have a lead tied to a fixed object in your yard. When you want to open the gate, put the trash out, move the car/motorbike  out, etc. put your dog on the lead. When the gate is closed again unleash the dog and carefully sneak out.

Getting off your butt and training your dog that it is not to go out also works.

Work, work, work...

9 hours ago, tropo said:

You're getting owned pets confused with Soi dogs. Soi dogs don't have gates to close them in - they breed in the streets, empty lots and parks around town.

It is a bit ridiculous to build a story about a pet that got loose and savaged a girl when there are thousands of dirty, disease-ridden and dangerous Soi dogs everywhere, just waiting to take a chunk out of my leg as I ride or walk past.

Keeping a few pets locked inside gates is the least of everyone's problems.

Soi dogs have owners. The people who feed them.

15 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I may be incorrect- but I don't think a Vet will put a dog down- not the Buddhist way.

Just about every house in my village has a dog- I take my little mite walking every morning and evening - we have one Thai woman who every now and again lets her dogs out to roam- one is a really really nasty piece of work that's bares its teeth and growls.

There have been endless complaints - but there's not much we can do.

Well, there is but it would get you into trouble if you did it.

We live at the end of a small gravel road, off the main road.

No soi dogs here, "only" the neighbours' dogs.

There is no way that I (or anyone else) could walk that gravel road. Need a car to go to the shop 200 meters away!

15 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I may be incorrect- but I don't think a Vet will put a dog down- not the Buddhist way.

Some Thailand vets will if the dog is very sick or injured and in pain with no hope of recovery. It is not cheap though, I've been quoted 3,000 baht up.

5 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Soi dogs have owners. The people who feed them.

It is true that there are some people who seem to think it's 'good karma' to feed vicious soi dogs, feral pigeons etc.  but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear as there will always be neandertals in the world but it is government's job to protect it's citizens.

Soi dogs are a MENACE and there would be none if Thais were responsible and neutered etc. We can only wait until some HiSo's child is bitten or one pees on the Generals car - then maybe they will do something because they are incapable of thinking about issues like these UNTIL it hits them personally (and they don't care of course).

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

It is true that there are some people who seem to think it's 'good karma' to feed vicious soi dogs, feral pigeons etc.  but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear as there will always be neandertals in the world but it is government's job to protect it's citizens.

Soi dogs are a MENACE and there would be none if Thais were responsible and neutered etc. We can only wait until some HiSo's child is bitten or one pees on the Generals car - then maybe they will do something because they are incapable of thinking about issues like these UNTIL it hits them personally (and they don't care of course).

I agree, though neutering Thais goes maybe a little too far 555.

Oh well, if everything else fails.

Difficult to understand but we have one neighbour nearby who has had about 6 or 7 puppies as pets over a few years and as soon as they lose the cuddly puppy look they end up outside the gate and soon are replaced by another cuddly puppy. The ones thrown out eventually wander off somewhere and are never seen again.

Just now, overherebc said:

Difficult to understand but we have one neighbour nearby who has had about 6 or 7 puppies as pets over a few years and as soon as they lose the cuddly puppy look they end up outside the gate and soon are replaced by another cuddly puppy. The ones thrown out eventually wander off somewhere and are never seen again.

This is the problem and I agree this is what happens. So irresponsible and SELFISH but, hey, TIT