Thai/farang prices vice versa -- higher prices for thais in other countries

chado

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

probably the easiest example is for a US citizen to come to Thailand, they just get on a plane... 30 days on arrival - no cost... for my wife to come as a visitor to USA, there is an application process, long, drawn out and no guarantee of successfully obtaining a visa, - cost just for the application is $125 or is it more now? Then there are interviews etc.. 

Once more: let all Asians and Africans travel hassle free to Europe and US?

Billions would be happy to do so, I"m sure.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

400k Baht in the bank for a marriage visa equates to roughly 10 years of your average Thai partner's wages. If that were reflected equally then a Thai person would require over 150k GBP even at UK minimum wage.

I assume OP don't live here,  l refer to just a visit to Thailand.

If your talking about staying 400,000 not required or 800,000. :whistling:

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

Are you saying that an average Thai earns just 3000 Baht a month? Either nonsense, or only very poor Thais at that poverty level are interested in marrying old retired farangs or the struggling youngsters. All of the well educated working expats that i know are all married to Thai professionals who earn very good salaries and are in no way dependent on handouts from their husbands.

Worked out on minimum wage @300 Baht per day working 6 days a week for 52 weeks for 10 years is 300*6*52*10 which equals 936,000.  I've heard the term (10 years) used with reference to 1,000,000 a number of times. Even just recently a friend of mine picked me up from the mainland ferry port and drove me to the other side of Thailand and back for a visa run, on his day off. Not seen him in a couple of months and he turned up with his missus in a brand spanking new minibus with all manner of things in it such as flashing disco lights in the back. How much mate I asked. 10 years he said with a sigh. Said he shouldn't have bothered with the lights and all many of other glitz but nothing he could do as it was ex-showroom so had pretty much every optional extra for display purposes. He needed a new minibus though his last one was in good nick with shocks that work etc. but he was on his 3rd engine and he'd put 70k on that. The variant he would have wanted would have cost 950k while the display model was worth 1.2m. He got the display model for 1 mil exactly.

How many people involved a small family business are on less than 300 Baht a day?

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I am not saying that they should have it easier - just that I do have it easier, in response to the question. I am not making any judgements here. 

I am pretty good at accepting things as they are... I have no problem paying a little extra for a National Park fee either. I see dual pricing in USA too - but my opinion is probably usually not popular on this forum. When I am doing well, I have no problem sharing with my wife and her family. They are nice people. I do not look at it as paying for services rendered as some here do - I look at it as sharing my life. 

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I am not saying that they should have it easier - just that I do have it easier, in response to the question. I am not making any judgements here. 

I am pretty good at accepting things as they are... I have no problem paying a little extra for a National Park fee either. I see dual pricing in USA too - but my opinion is probably usually not popular on this forum. When I am doing well, I have no problem sharing with my wife and her family. They are nice people. I do not look at it as paying for services rendered as some here do - I look at it as sharing my life. 

Some people have a chip on their shoulder.  They're always the victim.  Not much you can do to change their minds. 

Well said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Understand the prices of items/services, ask for prices first, speak Thai and if traders try and rip you off just walk away. I agree it is a pain in the ass that there are so many scamming toerags in LoS, but no need to become angered or act like a victim. Just realise that a lot of people will try it on.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I assume OP don't live here,  l refer to just a visit to Thailand.

If your talking about staying 400,000 not required or 800,000. :whistling:

Once we (UK) dump the EU I hope we seriously ease restrictions on Thai citizens being able to enter the country.

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You are right, it would be madness! But then, why do you feel bad if those billions dont look up to you as God's gift when you travel to their countries? I shop at Lotus, Big-C, Central Plaza. Eat at restaurants with a menu. Buy a newspaper, books, have a haircut. Go to fresh markets where mostly the prices are displayed, even in Khlong Toey market!! Eat noodles and rice dishes in roadside stalls, go to see a cinema in Major. Only on a few very rare occassions in the last 30 years here have i ever felt cheated. 

1 minute ago, saakura said:

You are right, it would be madness! But then, why do you feel bad if those billions dont look up to you as God's gift when you travel to their countries? I shop at Lotus, Big-C, Central Plaza. Eat at restaurants with a menu. Buy a newspaper, books, have a haircut. Go to fresh markets where mostly the prices are displayed, even in Khlong Toey market!! Eat noodles and rice dishes in roadside stalls, go to see a cinema in Major. Only on a few very rare occassions in the last 30 years here have i ever felt cheated. 

Few very rare occasions? Those are just the ones you realized you were being ripped off mate. Travelling by taxis, dealing with builders or similar services and purchasing from markets will quite regularly come up with Thais trying it on. Few times in 30 years? I call BS on that. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, saakura said:

You have never felt cheated. Does that equal you have never been overcharged compared to Thais?

Lucky you or simple you?

2 hours ago, notmyself said:

400k Baht in the bank for a marriage visa equates to roughly 10 years of your average Thai partner's wages. If that were reflected equally then a Thai person would require over 150k GBP even at UK minimum wage.

Exactly, and 800,000 k, if you are not married. ie (300 k GBP)  Apologists please chime in.

Tourists or tourists of a particular skin color?

I don't think there's any discrimination. White tourists and black/brown tourists usually get fleeced in tourist resorts (unless they're careful). Most probably don't even realise it!

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think there's any discrimination. White tourists and black/brown tourists usually get fleeced in tourist resorts (unless they're careful). Most probably don't even realise it!

Aha!

Brown, black and white tourists get equally fleeced in tourist resorts.

Serves them right, bloody tourists.

But we are talking about normal daily life.

10 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

Few very rare occasions? Those are just the ones you realized you were being ripped off mate. Travelling by taxis, dealing with builders or similar services and purchasing from markets will quite regularly come up with Thais trying it on. Few times in 30 years? I call BS on that. Sorry.

With that attitude, you're always going to feel like you're being ripped off...even when you're not.  So you think that if you were Thai, these taxis, or builders, or whomever, wouldn't be trying to rip you off?  That's a bit paranoid, don't you think?  Unless you have "I'm a total dope" tattooed on your forehead, I can't believe that you would be inviting such behavior on a regular basis.  Sorry, but nobody can have it that bad. 

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

With that attitude, you're always going to feel like you're being ripped off...even when you're not.  So you think that if you were Thai, these taxis, or builders, or whomever, wouldn't be trying to rip you off?  That's a bit paranoid, don't you think?  Unless you have "I'm a total dope" tattooed on your forehead, I can't believe that you would be inviting such behavior on a regular basis.  Sorry, but nobody can have it that bad. 

So you acknowledge and condone Thais trying to rip off Thais?

Gone native, have you?

Just now, oldhippy said:

So you acknowledge and condone Thais trying to rip off Thais?

Gone native, have you?

There are crooks and opportunists everywhere.  They don't discriminate.  Are you obsessed with the race thing? 

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

There are crooks and opportunists everywhere.  They don't discriminate.  Are you obsessed with the race thing? 

Yes I am. In my home country it is not only illegal but also frowned upon by the majority of decent citizens.

15 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

This is an anonymous forum, you are entitled to your views. What i am saying is that i came here at a very young age just a few years after my engineering graduation, got a job in a good multinational, 25 years in the same company rising up the ranks. My wife is also a professional who does not depend on my handouts. And i speak+read (write a bit only) thai on a level at par with ordinary thais. So, a lot of our experiences depend on individual circumstances, and that reflects on our replies in this thread.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Yes I am. In my home country it is not only illegal but also frowned upon by the majority of decent citizens.

There was a TV show in the USA years ago called Taxi.  It was about cabbies in New York.  One episode joked about ripping off tourists, in that case, Japanese.  I'm not saying it's right because it's not.  But crooks often go after the easiest mark.  And in most cases, it's tourists.  So don't act like a tourist. 

But if you want to believe that every Thai you meet is out to rip you off, have at it. 

Just now, Berkshire said:

There was a TV show in the USA years ago called Taxi.  It was about cabbies in New York.  One episode joked about ripping off tourists, in that case, Japanese.  I'm not saying it's right because it's not.  But crooks often go after the easiest mark.  And in most cases, it's tourists.  So don't act like a tourist. 

But if you want to believe that every Thai you meet is out to rip you off, have at it. 

In a previous post I stated the exact opposite of what you accuse me of.

I said "a too large minority of Thais".

You obviously do not follow this thread, and yet feel entitled to go farang bashing on the basis of your prejudice.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

In a previous post I stated the exact opposite of what you accuse me of.

I said "a too large minority of Thais".

You obviously do not follow this thread, and yet feel entitled to go farang bashing on the basis of your prejudice.

Berkshire is the quintessential Farang basher, head of the "more Thai than the Thai crowd" and in all fairness probably the most entertaining poster on TV. 

Anyways I have time for the posters who love Thailand and say they have been treated very well in most cases, but there is a reality here for all Farangs, and it doesn't matter if you came to Thailand with an engineering degree or with a dog license, you are a Farang and will encounter dual pricing and locals trying it on. The regularity of this obviously varies from person to person, but to deny that it is something Farangs have to deal with is bogus and possibly just self-delusion. 

12 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

Berkshire is the quintessential Farang basher, head of the "more Thai than the Thai crowd" and in all fairness probably the most entertaining poster on TV. 

Anyways I have time for the posters who love Thailand and say they have been treated very well in most cases, but there is a reality here for all Farangs, and it doesn't matter if you came to Thailand with an engineering degree or with a dog license, you are a Farang and will encounter dual pricing and locals trying it on. The regularity of this obviously varies from person to person, but to deny that it is something Farangs have to deal with is bogus and possibly just self-delusion. 

Feel sorry and emphathise if you have been taken to the cleaners by some bar girl, or you are being ripped off daily by thai scamsters, they do seem to very easily sniff out certain victims. But why is it so difficult for you to accept that there are many farangs here who are living happily?!

3 hours ago, notmyself said:

Some Thai partners were probably making that in a month or two. Who gets only 3333 baht per month in wages? You claim this is average.

10 minutes ago, saakura said:

Feel sorry and emphathise if you have been taken to the cleaners by some bar girl, or you are being ripped off daily by thai scamsters, they do seem to very easily sniff out certain victims. But why is it so difficult for you to accept that there are many farangs here who are living happily?!

??? I am one of the many farangs that live here happily - where did I say that I am not???

Happy 90% of the time, unhappy 10% when I have to strugle to not be taken advantage of.

Maybe you want me to post every time a taxi does use it's meeter, everytime I do not get overcharged, everytime a stray dog does not bite me, everytime a Thai smiles at me ?