Best Bangkok Bank Branch in Pattaya

roger101

I need to open an account with Bangkok Bank. I have a Non Imm. O visa  and a  Driving License (5year) but no Work Permit.

I have 2 accounts with TMB but they don't offer the service that I need ( I opened the first of these with a tourist visa many years ago).

I'm looking for recommendations on which branch to try. I don't really want to traipse around town trying branch after branch until I find the right one.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I opened a Bkk bank account with a visa exempt entry and staying in an hotel, so I don't see why you would have a problem at any branch.

A bit more info please?

What branch?

How long ago?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I opened an account at BB Central Pattaya beach mall and I don't think they even asked what visa I was on. 

That said, it's a little weird having my main branch in a mall.

That branch has been mentioned before as being easy for new accounts. The only time I ever had counter business in there, the two tellers were tied up with a pair of flash looking chaps who were either trying to undo what they thought was a international transaction error or asking the bank to do an impossible switcheroo with a credit card. Of course neither of them had their ID, bank books or anything in the least bit helpful. Looks like they had left the yacht at the marina, parked the Range Rover in 30-minute parking and strolled up from the food court.... all suntanned with gold chains, wearing their Old Navy cargo shorts and Birkenstock's. Nice but dim.

3 hours ago, GEZMAC said:

I always use the one on 2nd Road near the top of Soi 6, just opened a sterling account there, very helpful

That's the one that opened an account for me. They initially asked for a WP but when they saw I had just changed 10,000 quid at the (then) impressive forex rate, they waived the WP requirement rather than have me walk out the door with almost 700k baht stuffed in my cargo shorts. I had a 1-year, multi-entry, Non-O visa back then, renting a villa and no wife or other attachments.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A bit more info please?

What branch?

How long ago?

Yes, how long ago is key. Bangkok Bank got an edict from on high changing the requirements for opening accounts around three years ago, before then it was quite easy to get one on a Tourist Visa. 

Second Road Soi 4. Always good service. I opened an account with my passport (with retirement extension) and my Thai driver's license ( for the address ) 2 years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/Acwy13dkzSL2

They also gave me Thai "credit cards" with 100,000B as security and as the spending limit.

Edited by Thailand J

48 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Second Road Soi 4. Always good service. I opened an account with my passport (with retirement extension) and my Thai driver's license ( for the address ) 2 years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/Acwy13dkzSL2

They also gave me Thai "credit cards" with 100,000B as security and as the spending limit.

Yes, that's the one, opposite east end of Soi 6, not Soi 4.

7 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

In Pattaya banks usually are friendly. So many people will deposit money and then die ! Pure profit for banks !

That is very true.  Most guys I know have no post death plans drawn.  No wills or documentation of distribution of their assets here including real estate. 

They think ¨my kids will get it¨.  Uh, good luck.

The Central Mall branch is good.  Also, the manager who helped me is super hot.  Just sayin...

Edited by bkk6060

22 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

US citizens should be able to open an account online. The New York branch should do it.

I do not believe that is a retail type bank so probably no personal accounts allowed.  But, when I make my transfer from US Chase, it goes thru that branch first, then transfers to Thai branch.

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Totally incorrect. 

How to apply

Apply on Bangkok Bank website

You can apply for Bualuang iBanking via our website. Set up User ID and Password, register online and then use the service immediately.

15 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:
How to apply

Apply on Bangkok Bank website

You can apply for Bualuang iBanking via our website. Set up User ID and Password, register online and then use the service immediately.

Please stop spreading totally false information.

You said explicitly that Americans can open BB ACCOUNTS online.

That means never going into a branch.

Your link is NOT about that. You know that right?

Your link is about applying for ONLINE ACCESS to EXISTING accounts.

You can't open a BB account online. 

If anyone doubts this here is the actual LINK that GaryB failed to supply. As you can see you need to enter your ATM card, ACCOUNT NUMBER details. That means you would already NEED an existing account. 

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaWebsite.aspx

"Application Steps

You can apply for Bualuang iBanking via our website every day, between 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Please prepare your ATM/Be1st Debit card number along with your savings’ account passbook or current account cheque book.

Click here to apply for Bualuang iBanking online, simply complete our five-step registration."

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not believe that is a retail type bank so probably no personal accounts allowed.  But, when I make my transfer from US Chase, it goes thru that branch first, then transfers to Thai branch.

Thanks for clearing this up BKK.

Is Bangkok Bank in Thailand the same as the one in New York City? If not, how does one open an account with New York branch?

They're both BB. You don't open in NYC. They have a scheme where you can do domestic ACH transfers from a U.S bank account (not BB ) to BB NYC using your Thai BB account number. Only one way. Never back to the U. S.  

BB NYC takes care of getting the funds to Thailand. You never deal directly with BB NYC in any way.

Like I said it's a scheme fully supported by BB.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They're both BB. You don't open in NYC. They have a scheme where you can do domestic ACH transfers from a U.S bank account (not BB ) to BB NYC using your Thai BB account number. Only one way. Never back to the U. S.  

BB NYC takes care of getting the funds to Thailand. You never deal directly with BB NYC in any way.

Like I said it's a scheme fully supported by BB.

Good info...Thanks. I asked about this at Thai BB in Jon Tein and was told to go to NYC to open account. Sure didn't sound right.

Good info...Thanks. I asked about this at Thai BB in Jon Tein and was told to go to NYC to open account. Sure didn't sound right.

Hilariously wrong! There should be info about it on the website. It's a hassle to set it up initially because you need to verify small test deposits. Also some U.S. banks impose too small per transaction limits. Mine limits me to 2000 dollars per send but no limits on number of sends.

The setup is all on your U.S non BB account but you need to call BB Thailand to find out about the cents amounts of the test deposits. Once that's done just like any other domestic ACH link except only one way allowed.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hilariously wrong! There should be info about it on the website. It's a hassle to set it up initially because you need to verify small test deposits. Also some U.S. banks impose too small per transaction limits. Mine limits me to 2000 dollars per send but no limits on number of sends.

The setup is all on your U.S non BB account but you need to call BB Thailand to find out about the cents amounts of the test deposits. Once that's done just like any other domestic ACH link except only one way allowed.

If I remember it correctly the "test" transfers were kind of a hassle.  So, your US or where ever bank transfers small amounts into your Thai account. BKK B asked me to verify the amount in Thai Baht.  So, I had to figure the bank exchange rate for that day and get the right number.  The first time I mis calculated and it would not verify. Maybe I am stupid and there was an easier way to figure this.

If I remember it correctly the "test" transfers were kind of a hassle.  So, your US or where ever bank transfers small amounts into your Thai account. BKK B asked me to verify the amount in Thai Baht.  So, I had to figure the bank exchange rate for that day and get the right number.  The first time I mis calculated and it would not verify. Maybe I am stupid and there was an easier way to figure this.

My experience was this.
Two small test deposits were made.
They showed up in Thailand in baht.
But my U.S bank required me to enter the amounts in cents.
Without guessing the only way to do that is to call BB in Thailand and then they tell you the amounts in cents.
With that correct info you punch those numbers into your U.S account ACH link verification process and bingo the link is established.
I believe you made a mistake to guess. The standard method is to call BB in Thailand as I did.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My experience was this.
Two small test deposits were made.
They showed up in Thailand in baht.
But my U.S bank required me to enter the amounts in cents.
Without guessing the only way to do that is to call BB in Thailand and then they tell you the amounts in cents.
With that correct info you punch those numbers into your U.S account ACH link verification process and bingo the link is established.
I believe you made a mistake to guess. The standard method is to call BB in Thailand as I did.

OK, thanks makes cents hopefully won't have to do it again..

13 hours ago, GaryB1263 said:

bkk. Sounds like a nightmare. How did you figure the rate the instant your transfer went through?

You know how much was sent in the 'test' remittance.

You know how much baht was credited to your account.

Now you do the math.