How Do You Say "stock Trader" In Thai?

iosufm

I professionally trade stocks/bonds/currency for my own account and when asked in english i describe my occupation as being a "trader" or "securities trader". I don't know the equivilant of this in thai other than "len huun" which i've picked up as meaning 'play stocks'. I am wondering if there is a better translation for my profession in thai, can someone help me?

Loong's suggestion is correct and descriptive.

Still, the common term is เล่นหุ้น 'lên hûn' just like people have been telling you. In Thai, what politicians do is เล่นการเมือง 'lên kaan mueang' = 'play politics' too.

Do not focus so much on the most common translation of the verb เล่น. In expressions like this, it doesn't sound quite as casual in Thai as in English.

One general difference between Thai and English is that English makes more heavy use of nouns, whereas Thai uses mostly verbs. Hence, in list items stating occupation, the Thai will typically have verb phrases instead of nouns.

It is of course not wrong to use a noun, but most would opt to not do so.

As for being a stock trader myself, when anyone asked me what I do for earning, I would tell them that one of them is ' len hoon'- เล่นหุ้น.

But if you want a formal term, then it should be นักลงทุน(investor)- nak loeng toon. For this term it's not specific only being stock trader, it can be used with investor who trades bonds and currency too. I think this term might suit with you more than len hoon which means trade stocks only.

Another term is 'ซื้อขายหลักทรัพย์' (buy and sell stocks). For example, if anyone ask you what is your occupation(คุณมีอาชิพอะไร) and then you reply that you are a businessman(ผมเป็นนักธุรกิจ). They might ask you 'what kind of business(ธุรกิจอะไร)?' Then you can answer ' trade stocks business(ธุรกิจซื้อขายหลักทรัพย์)'

Surely with the fluctuations and at times manipulations in the Thai stock market he should be called นักพนัน !

Yes great point Bannork. นักพนัน makes me laugh. I teach a group of kids and at the end of some lessons I play cards with them (no money involved) just trying to get them speaking in English. 1 child came to me and said my mother doesnt want us to play cards, that I am supposed to be a teacher not a gambler! made me laugh.

:o

I'm not a gambler myself, but I've heard the same things about playing cards. Supposedly the only "legal" cards are the ones produced by the Excise Department (and sold behind the counter at 7-11s, etc for 10 times the price of the illegal decks), but just what exactly is legal and illegal to do with them? Why do they sell them at 7-11 if they're so dangerous? All seems so silly.. what, they've never heard of gin rummy? Go fish? Solitaire???

I'm not a gambler myself, but I've heard the same things about playing cards. Supposedly the only "legal" cards are the ones produced by the Excise Department (and sold behind the counter at 7-11s, etc for 10 times the price of the illegal decks), but just what exactly is legal and illegal to do with them? Why do they sell them at 7-11 if they're so dangerous? All seems so silly.. what, they've never heard of gin rummy? Go fish? Solitaire???

Exactly,

I only use them to play go fish etc to try and get responses to "do you have?"

I am not playing black Jack.

The funny thing is you can get away with riding a motor bike drunk to a party with no helmet at night (seriously injuring yourself or someone else), but when you get there you cant play cards with your friends because it encourages gambling.

This is Thailand :o:D

According to Langhub.com:

Stock Broker

นายหน้าซื้อขายหุ้น

NAAI-NÂ SÊU-KĂAI HÛN

The "Stock Market" lesson is available here

Hi mrjackson - good effort with the website, I'll definitely take a closer look.

Just one thing, I noticed all instances of ซื้อ (to buy) are incorrectly transcribed with the ^ falling tone mark while it should be ´ for high tone.

Surely with the fluctuations and at times manipulations in the Thai stock market he should be called นักพนัน !
Not quite. There are two types of stock trader. One is long term trading which interested in dividend payment and inflation of the business they invest. Another is short term trading. For short term trading there are two types of them. One invest by following the stock analysis and another is purely gambling. So, it’s not fair to take all of them as gamblers.

It’s not always illegal for playing cards, as long as there is no money get involved or you don’t put money on the table, it’s fine. You can plays any card games such as Bridge, Solitaire, Hearts, etc. without having any problem.

Doesn't นักลงทุน have a slightly negative connotation. I seem to recall one of the Bangkok Post's columnists (Sanitsuda?) using it disparagingly for someone lacking a social conscience?

No, that is not true. นักลงทุน simply mean investor. There is no negative connotation for this term. But for นายทุน there is.

นายทุน means capitalist, financial backer. But sometimes it’s used in the meaning of people who gain their benefit from the poor which is used as a sarcastic term.

According to Langhub.com:

Stock Broker

นายหน้าซื้อขายหุ้น

NAAI-NÂ SÊU-KĂAI HÛN

The "Stock Market" lesson is available here

Hi mrjackson - good effort with the website, I'll definitely take a closer look.

Just one thing, I noticed all instances of ซื้อ (to buy) are incorrectly transcribed with the ^ falling tone mark while it should be ´ for high tone.

Thanks for the compliment, but it's not my site – although I do know the guys who run it. They're quite particular about wiping out mistakes, so if you send them an e-mail (I believe there is a form on the site especially to alert them about mistakes) they'll be sure to fix it.