Vietnamese lychees hit Thai supermarket shelves

webfact

Vietnamese lychees hit Thai supermarket shelves

PNFOR600705001000101.jpg

LUC NGAN, 6 July 2017 (VOV) - Lychees from Luc Ngan district of Vietnam’s Bac Giang Province are on the shelves of Central Group’s business units Tops and Central Food Hall supermarkets in Bangkok, according to the Bac Giang provincial Department of Industry and Trade. 

Jariya Chirathivat, representative of Central Group in Vietnam, said Luc Ngan lychees are sold at Tops and Central Food Hall supermarkets. Lychee prices this year are high compared to those of previous years. However, Central Group Vietnam and Big C Vietnam have successfully cooperated with Central Food Retail to send Vietnamese lychees to Thai customers. 

The successful shipment of Vietnamese lychees to Thailand opens a good opportunity for the neighboring country’s lychee growers and lays a foundation for other Vietnamese produce to enter the Thai market. 

At the same time, Thailand has surpassed China to become the leading supplier of fruits to Vietnam. The Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development reported that Thai fruit and vegetable imports jumped more than 87% to 655 million US dollars in the first half of the year, of which fruit imports were valued at 507 million dollars.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-06

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Fruit at Tops= overpriced. But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Everything at Tops is overpriced. I find Foodland has the best prices. But Tops has the best in-store entertainment.

Lychees from North Vietnam are magnificent when brought locally. But the season is usually short.

Tops rats.jpg

5 hours ago, HOAX said:

Why didn't the Norwegian caviar get national news coverage when it hit the shelves at Lotus? Ah, I know why... Because it's not news worthy.

But Mills Caviar is damn good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just wait till  Chinese caviar hits the Thai shelves...seriously...it does exist!

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

20 baht a kilo at markets here up north

you should start buying wholesale and re selling to the boys in the South with substantial profit:cheesy:...and have a drone-home delivery service!! .-)

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

you should start buying wholesale and re selling to the boys in the South with substantial profit:cheesy:...and have a drone-home delivery service!! .-)

When the Makro has nice fruit the BKK fruitvendors pick all the best ones and sell them around the corner somewhere for double price.

Litchi's are hard to get in BKK, i wished they brought them from the North by truckloads. Now they have seen the 300 baht price they sure will bring them next year i bet.

45 minutes ago, fruitman said:

When the Makro has nice fruit the BKK fruitvendors pick all the best ones and sell them around the corner somewhere for double price.

Litchi's are hard to get in BKK, i wished they brought them from the North by truckloads. Now they have seen the 300 baht price they sure will bring them next year i bet.

Now that's a shame but such ripoffs are unfortunately common in highly touristic or populated areas.......should find a guy some place up north who will be more then glad to deliver, perhaps?..

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Now that's a shame but such ripoffs are unfortunately common in highly touristic or populated areas.......should find a guy some place up north who will be more then glad to deliver, perhaps?..

We eat litchi's from nakhon pranom, the smaller ones aka linchi Kom...i also grow those myself. That's a different litchi which doesn't need a cold period.

I don't see buying from Makro and selling with profit as a ripoff though, it's just business and we live far from the touristic areas..

I see it as good if vendors buy fruit from the Makro, i only wished they didn't pick all the big ones. If they buy from Makro the Makro can buy bigger quantities and get a better price.

But also in Malaysia/Singapore i've seen a lot of Thai fruit for sale. It costed more than in Thailand but not 10 times more like they do with these litchi's from their neighbour.

I wished they also imported milkfruit from Cambodia, i grow those as well but have never seen the fruit. Or persimmons from South Vietnam.