george

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My BBC does not show this.

More Breaking News in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99219

george if your the man i just met in surin and at petteris house, i have just spoke to my parents in england and thats what they say is on the news in england wheter it is true or not from the thai foriegn affirs department i dont no but that is what i have just been told. anyway george great info you are posting on the current affairs

my apologies for my bad spelling of the english language there i did not check it before i posted it

i also hear from the bbc news in england that they have tanks on the street! i'm in nonthaburi, i dont know for sure,but did they remove them after the coup? i never noticed them when i was shopping in bangkok! please note. i dont normally stay here

No tanks on my street (Sukhimvit and Soi 16)

i'm only telling you what i've heard from my parents in england! but hey who can believe the english news they are run by the govenment also!!!! :o

the tourist industry is not the whole countries economy - and the blasts might save the weakening economy (as 9/11 saved for sometimes the american economy)

I really can't believe you said that! The American economy was seriously damaged by the attack. The effects will be felt for years to come.

Please think before you type!!! This is not the time for thoughtless statements like yours.

My sincere condolences to all the injured, their familits, and Thailand for this pathetic act of cowardice. May the perpetrators have many years to rot in prision.

Don

hear hear!!!

some wise words of wisdom!!!!!!!!!

1. Old power ( Thaksin supporters ) :o

or

2. Southern separatists :D

post-27080-1167593973_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167594177_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167594529_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167594400_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167594302_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167594498_thumb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

Second bombing wave aims at tourists

Midnight bombs wound many foreign visitors

(BangkokPost.com)

A new wave of bombings hit Bangkok right at the New Year, wounding several foreigners and Thais celebrating in top tourist areas of Bangkok.

Two bombs went off near the Central World Plaza in central Bangkok, severely wounding at least four foreigners and two Thais as they ate at the popular Best Seafood restaurant on the bank of Klong (Canal) Saen Saeb.

Witnesses said the explosion ripped off the leg of one of the western visitors, and others were also badly wounded.

Almost at the same time, another explosion went off at the sidewalk level of stairs leading to the pedestrian overpass leading to the Central World Plaza, where a huge New Year's Eve public party had been scheduled and then cancelled.

Authorities said the second explosion wounded both foreigners and Thais passing by.

A third bomb was reported half an hour into the new year at a bar at Khao San Road, the main area for budget travellers. Police evacuated that area after the explosion, and cleared shoppers and vendors from the Lumpini Night Bazaar after they found and defused a bomb just before it went off.

At last two British citizens were among those seriously wounded, and were being treated at a Bangkok hospital, said the Foreign Office in London. Authorities already had warned British travellers not to travel around Bangkok "unless absolutely necessary" after the first round of bomb attacks.

Anybody who's seen the fifth season of 24 is starting to wonder about this....

when they show that have an incentive to do something it creates a motive to have done it in the first place

CNS may seize Thaksin's assets following bomb attacks: source

A security source said the Council for National Security may order the seizure of assets of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to cut money supply for financing disturbance in the country.

The source said the CNS believed Thaksin was behind the series of seven bomb attacks in Bangkok Sunday evening.

The source said the CNS noted many bombs were launched at police booths but none of police officers were injured.

Source: The Nation - 31 December 2006

A very sad start to what should be a fun filled holiday, I dread to think what impact this will have on tourism.

Oh excellent, I'm due to travel to BKK next for a holiday! I thought I would be escaping all this terrorist shit in London for a couple of weeks :o

you must be from mars..... WHICH Terrorist SHIT in London?

No not from Mars, I was referring to the fact ALL Londoners are told to be vigilant whilst traveling on public transport...........why would they say that smart arse?

Can we all hope and pray the killing is over for one night?

And where do we look to find the truth about the source of the murderous attacks in the days ahead?

Is there a mainstream media that dares to report facts if it is not in accordance with what the transitional government wants us to believe?

~WISteve

I found this particularly disturbing from The Nation.

Old power clique suspected of being behind Bangkok bomb attacks: source

A security source at the Government House said the old power clique was behind the simultaneous bomb attacks in Bangkok.

The source from an intelligence agency said the intelligence agencies had learnt about the plan of the old clique to create disturbance toward the year end.

The source said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont was on the standby in Bangkok because he expected the attacks.

The Nation

The Nation

Does this mean he knew about it beforehand and he didn’t even try to warn anyone ahead of time? If that is the case he should be held as responsible as the people who have placed the bombs.

A very sad start to what should be a fun filled holiday, I dread to think what impact this will have on tourism.

Oh excellent, I'm due to travel to BKK next for a holiday! I thought I would be escaping all this terrorist shit in London for a couple of weeks :o

If you think YOU will be a victim, THEN STAY HOME, odds that it will hit you are low, BUT, if it's your time, it your time, and nothing can change that. If you stay home you can be killed in a car accident or other accidents OR terror actions. You just have to keep you eyes open and you'll have a good holiday, IMO. And if you stay home, "they" WIN and you LOOSE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND MOST IMPORTANT PEACEFUL NEW YEAR!

Oh no I don't think I will be a victim, I was just jesting, a few little bombs wouldn't put me off my hols.......BKK here I come! :D

No not from Mars, I was referring to the fact ALL Londoners are told to be vigilant whilst traveling on public transport...........why would they say that smart arse?

Ah, right, so someone saying people should be vigilant equates to "terrorist shit" does it? There hasn't been any serious terrorist activity in London for almost 18 months. Hardly something you need to escape from for 2 weeks is it...

Ah, right, so someone saying people should be vigilant equates to "terrorist shit" does it? There hasn't been any serious terrorist activity in London for almost 18 months. Hardly something you need to escape from for 2 weeks is it...

If you don't agree with the post just ignore it, why make a fuss over a minor comment! look at the emoticon, I was trying to make light of whats going on in the world today.

Edited by Seapok

If you don't agree with the post just ignore it, why make a fuss over a minor comment! look at the emoticon, I was trying to make light of whats going on in the world today.

There wasn't any emoticon in the post I was responding to, and neither was I making a fuss. In fact, it seems you were making more of a fuss than anyone by calling another person who responded to your rather strange original post a "smart arse".

There wasn't any emoticon in the post I was responding to, and neither was I making a fuss. In fact, it seems you were making more of a fuss than anyone by calling another person who responded to your rather strange original post a "smart arse".

Haha ok whatever, I'm sticking to my football thread, much easier to get along with like minded people. :D

The reflexive Muslim-bashing in this thread is truly distasteful.

The identities of the perpetrators of these acts and their motives have not yet been established.

Muslims have been mentioned only once and only specualtive. Not sure what you try to say!

He was waiting to say it.He had it in his mind before he had even read the posts...lol

liberal mindset...

Yes...and as usual, premature and inappropriate :o

Agreed. I haven't read far into this thread but I have seen The Seperatist Muslim movement, Thaksin and Current government list as possibles. Those are pretty much the big three.

The seperatists (that is a bad joke) don't have much to gain but anyone who rules them out after they have set off so many bombs is a fool. This is unlikely, but ruling them out or assuming Muslims are being bashed because of discourse on this would be foolish. If seperatists don't want to be assumed to be responsible for the killing of inocent people then they should stop killing inocent people. Its really that simple.

The more likely scenario is Thaksin is a bit peeved and wants to show he still has some juice so he's making a point. The money he has out of the country can buy a lot of mischeif in Thailand. This is definitely organized but as shown by 911 and the bombings in London, a small group of people can do a lot without a lot of outside knowledge or support.

Another scenario is the government wanted Thaksin's money and to show how bad he really is. I would think this is unlikely because this makes the current government look incompetant and unable to secure their own country. This is not something military men of any country like. This is a pride or face thing that looms very large in the mind of any true Military man worth his salt. I am fairly confident leaders of Thailand are not willing to lose face to get Thaksin.

Another possibility is Thaksin supporters are doing this without Thaksin's knowledge. What I have heard and read so far is these were relatively small explosions. That implies ametuer bomb making or a pro emulating an ametuer. Much more likely to be ametuer though. Time will tell.

Hopefully no one else will die. This method of attempting change never works because it only solidifies positions. This is pure cowardice.

I hope the government doesn't do what military men do when faced with this kind of scenario. Their tendency is to clamp down on everything. Not only do terrorists win but civil freedoms lose. This is a precarious situation.

My heart goes out to the Thai people and the victims of the cowards who have done this.

Thaksin moved from London to China. (Said it was too cold, actually 3 degrees warmer in China) :o Is it easier to lie low and conduct dirty business there than in London?

His children delayed testimony in court this week to travel abroad. Are they back yet?

He needs revenge (and his followers will gladly help) and distractions from all the cases against him. His old technique.

Remember last year? If TRT went down, others had to go down as well. If he goes down or is condemned to exile, Thailand should suffer as well. Even if he did not send out orders, it's his own Frankenstein walking around and bashing up the country.

No bombs in the South today.

20 or so schools were burned down North and N. East so far.

Guilty.

What's another case on top of his pile?

Edited by Tony Clifton

..... In terms of who benefits from a wave of bombings in the capital, you can probably suggest 1/ militants from the South, 2/ former govt heavyweights 3/ coup leaders.

However, the intelligence to date heavily suggests no 2 -

What would be the purpose of such bombings?

Probably to destabilise the current government to a major extent; to literally "knock a wheel off the car"; sink the economy and put them into a crisis that might derail or seriously impair some of the legal moves that are hugely threatening to much of the previous Cabinet. Make no mistake, some heavies are going down and they hate it - they have a lot of wealth to fight what's going on, and tonight, the gloves have probably come off.

A few remarks:

1. whoever is behind the bombings, nobody is benefitting -on the long term-, nobody.

2. Unless you have direct and inside info with/from 'Thai intelligence', all possible 'attackers/groups' are so far speculation, including #'s 1, 2 and 3; there could be other individuals/groups.

3. To destabilise the (a) country to a 'major' extent, sink the economy or put them into crisis one (a group) would need to do a lot more harm than some small bombs. Examples enough: look at the daily bombings and killings in Iraq, the Bali bombing, the Thai-bombs and destruction in the deep South; they all failed to bring the (a) Government down or sink the economy or put them into a crises they coulnd't recover from.

It's dangerous and premature to point a finger at a certain group at this stage.

Plain and simple: we don't know what's going on behind the (government) scene....and: believing an 'intelligence source' who's talking to the Thai press.....hmmmm

LaoPo

The people that usually do things like this do think this type of action will change things. It does but rarely the way they want. It is not a productive method of change. Those are likely the big three but anyone who ignores all possibilities should not be investigating.

Keep in mind that the fact that Thaksin is not the richest is not really relevant. What was done does not take much money. It does take some organization but not much. That is the problem with dealing with terrorism. It is very hard to stop because it does not have to follow methods governments follow to function. Its strength is it is decentralized. Its weakness is its assumption that it can change things for the better. Without a goal that can be acheived it is simply murder.

There are recent world events that could factor into this scenario as well although they are much less likely.

If it is the government of Thailand you will never know it....errr.....I wonder if Thaksin thought that same thing.

Apologies if this has already been posted. Advice from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

"A number of bombs have gone off in Bangkok on 31 December 2006. British Citizens are advised not to travel within Bangkok unless absolutely necessary, until further notice."

tell that to the party girls in patpong LOL Im sure they got another job to fall back to:

plant rice?? pick chillies??

the tourist industry is not the whole countries economy - and the blasts might save the weakening economy (as 9/11 saved for sometimes the american economy)

if it's not southerners than it's inside security services job - there is no political group in thailand in opposition to government which uses violence

:o Made me rolling around on the floor. Got another one?

You aren't by any chance related to Toxin, are you?