Do you give money to beggars on the street?

joeyg

It's often a difficult call for me...should I give..or shouldn't I.

The children begging around Bangkok pull strongly at my heart strings.

I don't like to see kids begging. Kids should be playing in the park, having fun and doing other stuff that kids do...so I give a little to them.

The beggars that are disabled..well..... I stopped giving to them some time ago...I asked myself the question...How the hell does the beggar with the cup in his mouth sliding along on a wooden platform be in Sukhumvit Road one day and in my suburb 25km's away the next.

There was an article written some time ago...where it was stated that 90% of the "adult" beggars were controlled by beggar masters (read the mafia)....and were transported all over Bangkok so as not to appear in the same location for too longer period....lest the "givers" amongst us wised up.

The article claimed that the money the beggars received ended up in the mafia pockets and in exchange the beggars received some shit accommodation and food plus a tiny percentage of their daily takings.

I don't know if the children seen begging are part of this setup or not....but I give to the kids.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't now, though I used to.  I stopped when they started inviting their friends because they saw a sucker that would give them money every day (20 baht) and the new friend said "what about me?'  I said to ask your friend to share it with you (they don't appear anymore).

What I will do with some people I know are on the street and making an effort for themselves (eg. bin filtering) and *not* asking, is drop them 500 baht while they're sleeping at random infrequent times.  They don't know it's me and probably think it's Buddha 'luck' or something. 

The worst of it was when I was chatting with a friend and someone was annoying me with his hand out while I'm trying to communicate something.  The hand was between both of us and he said "100 baht'.  Embarrassingly I got all 'farang' on his ass and told him in impolite words what to do.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Tell me about it, it can be difficult to resist.

I was immunized by two incidents in Italy (Rome). First was the "wizened old biddy" who would have given Usain Bolt a run for his money when someone lifted her collection cup, the other was the younger Romany lady with two kids in tow "very poor, cannot buy food", the illusion was shattered when her mobile rang :smile:

1- Yes,...Romany beggars are professionals,...I was in Brussels to get a visa last year, on my way to the embassy I saw a Romany lady step out of a recent expensive model BMW somewhere in a dark corner behind a park,...after she got out, the BMW drove away. When I came back from the embassy I used the same road and saw that lady begging on a busy crossroad !?!?!

2- In Chiang Mai I used to see the same lady begging with a baby on a regular basis, the thing that woke me up was that she used different baby's at different days. I learned later that she used to rent the baby and other beggars did that too, sometimes the usual baby was already rented out and she got another one...Thing is, they make a whole lot more money if they beg with a baby !!!

It's a bit like a waitress getting more tips if she has a deep cleavage Ha ha ha.....trick's of the trade....

3- Also in Chiang Mai, I saw a blind beggar with dark sunglasses walking the street passing the terrace were I was having a coffee.

A bit later when I left the place and walked away I saw that exact same guy driving a car !!!!

4- Many Years ago, on a trip true Vietnam I saw a beggar crawling on the floor on the street in Hanoi !!! witch broke my heart !!! and I gave him some money....when I constantly started to see beggars crawling on the ground ? I started to wonder ans sat at a terrace to have a drink and watch what happened ...I noticed a lady pushing a empty wheelchair walking at a distance on the opposite side of the street and following the beggar. and later that day I saw the guy get up and sit in the wheelchair and they both left together !!!!

Later on in Hanoi I saw another one begging the same way with a little girl on a rope,...The effect was astonishing as every tourist around ran to him to give money !!!! begging is a profession and some are masters in there profession !!!

5- I Bangkok a few years ago on Sukhumvit, I saw a kid on the pavement with a puppy dog on a string, begging ?!?!

A bit further I saw another kid begging the same way ??? ,... a bit further the same thing I counted some ten kids with puppy dogs !!! I checked this out and in the evening a minnivan came by to pick up the kids ?!?...and bring them back in the morning !!!!...The professional begging gang was rounded up a couple of months later when newspaper articles began to run telling this after some tourists began to complain !!!

Best regards

Hanoi (27).jpg

Hanoi (30).jpg

Hanoi (29).jpg

Hanoi (32).jpg

Hanoi (26).jpg

Hanoi (31).jpg

Edited by off road pat

Just now, KIWIBATCH said:

I don't like to see kids begging. Kids should be playing in the park, having fun and doing other stuff that kids do...so I give a little to them.

The beggars that are disabled..well..... I stopped giving to them some time ago...I asked myself the question...How the hell does the beggar with the cup in his mouth sliding along on a wooden platform be in Sukhumvit Road one day and in my suburb 25km's away the next.

There was an article written some time ago...where it was stated that 90% of the "adult" beggars were controlled by beggar masters (read the mafia)....and were transported all over Bangkok so as not to appear in the same location for too longer period....lest the "givers" amongst us wised up.

The article claimed that the money the beggars received ended up in the mafia pockets and in exchange the beggars received some shit accommodation and food plus a tiny percentage of their daily takings.

I don't know if the children seen begging are part of this setup or not....but I give to the kids.

Whereas I don't give to kids begging....

I've only seen them either late at night in restaurants or (on one occasion) as I parked in front of a shop and saw them playing happily - until they saw me (stupid farang in their mind I've no doubt) and rushed up, hands outstretched.....

15 minutes ago, Shiver said:

I don't now, though I used to.  I stopped when they started inviting their friends because they saw a sucker that would give them money every day (20 baht) and the new friend said "what about me?'  I said to ask your friend to share it with you (they don't appear anymore).

What I will do with some people I know are on the street and making an effort for themselves (eg. bin filtering) and *not* asking, is drop them 500 baht while they're sleeping at random infrequent times.  They don't know it's me and probably think it's Buddha 'luck' or something. 

The worst of it was when I was chatting with a friend and someone was annoying me with his hand out while I'm trying to communicate something.  The hand was between both of us and he said "100 baht'.  Embarrassingly I got all 'farang' on his ass and told him in impolite words what to do.

Know exactly what you mean about obviously extremely poor people, and the best way to help them out in some small way.

There's an obviously poor man who rides his samlor here every few days to fish (edit - and another on a bicycle), and I've often thought about leaving a 1,000 bht note in the 'basket' of their 'bikes.  Problem is that it would be obvious the money came from me - as I'm pretty much the only person living in the area.

Edited by dick dasterdly

21 hours ago, joeyg said:

I know, I know.  I guess i'm just a sucker for some of these guys.  it's too much for me to think about sometimes.

Don't be so harsh on yourself. It just shows you you still have your heart on the right place. If it gives you a warm feeling keep doing it.

A while ago i did wanna give some money to an old lovely lady who was begging on the street. But my (Thai) gf forbid me to do it. When i asked her why she said  that that lady have a family who take care of her and that she probably will go back to her house in the evening.

They day after she gave 2  youngsters in schooluniform, who were playing music on the streets, 20 bht. :blink:

Of cours i did need to know why she did that. She answered me that those kids "worked" for their money and weren't begging and that was why she helped them.

21 hours ago, joeyg said:

I know, I know.  I guess i'm just a sucker for some of these guys.  it's too much for me to think about sometimes.

I am same sucker..I know there are pros and real ones...I am healthy and 2 mtr  tall ..if I pass a midget missing half his body I cannot pass without feeling guilty so I always give too much ..it is even so that when I know where they sit I cross the street before to avoid them and my feelings

22 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

My Thai wife says NEVER give. Majority of beggers are not Thai and are brought in daily with busses for begging, including the women with the small kids that mostly are not their own. Giving money means feeding mafia

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She is right, Swiss1960, these bloody mafia took all the money from them and reluctantly feed them with the cheapest foods they can find. If they didn't get much money from the begging they were even beaten by the mafia.

You have to be cruel to be kind in this case. Finally if the mafia find that people are not giving any money they will stop doing this evil deed.

I used to give until I found out I got really angry not because I gave a lot of money because it is against my conscience to do something so bad to people who are poor.

Please all Farangs out there just stop giving no matter what, this got to stop I beg of you all.

So, maybe some do " belong" to crooks, but what if they don't ? Do you expect them to get a job ? I suppose we've all seen some of these people who have gone through hell . The lady sitting in front of Svensons on the main road in Hua Hin center with half of the top of her head gone for example. There was a young boy last year on crutches , looked beaten and bruised , sitting on the beach road in Jomtien . What to do, it's a terrible life for them whatever. A little empathy doesn't go amiss.

We all make our own choices when it comes to these people. We were in BKK eating breakfast before going to Rutnin Hospital. Below the window where we were sitting was a man with no hands messing about with ear buds trying to listen to music. He wasn't begging, he was just living his life. I gave him 500 baht because everybody needs a little help in life whether it be money, a word of encouragement, a smile, etc. about six months later my wife wanted me to pay her phone bill which I said I would, but would then subtract it from the money I give her each month. She had a #%~< fit and threw in my face giving this guy 500 baht......I don't think Thais really understand charity. Needless to say we got divorced two weeks ago.

You probably "give money" all your life to your Thai family so carry on . 

I never give, unless I see someone really desperate. 

Even the poorest people can go to the temples and get a bowl of rice here in Thailand. Or get help from neighbors willing to share food.  

If I give I prefer to buy them food. 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Pretty sad...

6 hours ago, mamypoko said:

I do. It upsets my friends to no end. But that's just a bonus for me.

Well I guess you are one of those  people who  " give money mostly so they can feel good about good about themselves. "See what I swell guy I am, I'm so generous," etc." - Budright

Not really.  I understand.  I tend to be soft hearted and generous.  Often taken advantage of.  Thank God I can afford it... :biggrin:

Curiously I Turned and saw the burnt guy after I just gave him 20 bhat today, say to the guy with one arm missing, to the effect, "you see, pointing at his body with a smile, I make good money because of the way I look" My Lao GF translated for me.

Unbelievable!

When it comes right down to it what i do or who i give money to is sweet shag all to do with anybody else. 

If you want to belive all the beggers on the street are scammers thats your choice and you obviously dont give money.

I just feel it must be a sad world you inhabit in your mind.

Oh the power of social media eh.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

She is right, Swiss1960, these bloody mafia took all the money from them and reluctantly feed them with the cheapest foods they can find. If they didn't get much money from the begging they were even beaten by the mafia.

You have to be cruel to be kind in this case. Finally if the mafia find that people are not giving any money they will stop doing this evil deed.

I used to give until I found out I got really angry not because I gave a lot of money because it is against my conscience to do something so bad to people who are poor.

Please all Farangs out there just stop giving no matter what, this got to stop I beg of you all.

I had a rude awakening today.  My "burned guy" is a scam as well.  Too bad...

2 hours ago, madusa said:

7 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Years ago there used to be a retarded guy down walking St always had a baby with him. He was there for years but the baby never got older it was all run by the mafia.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've seen that guy...

On 7/8/2017 at 4:55 PM, Swiss1960 said:

My Thai wife says NEVER give. Majority of beggers are not Thai and are brought in daily with busses for begging, including the women with the small kids that mostly are not their own. Giving money means feeding mafia

I used to give money to these people when I first came to Thailand over 20 years ago, but my wife told me the same thing your wife told you, so I stopped. I did end up buying clothes/meals for some of the kids begging....mafia can't do anything about that.

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

When it comes right down to it what i do or who i give money to is sweet shag all to do with anybody else. 

If you want to belive all the beggers on the street are scammers thats your choice and you obviously dont give money.

Good for You  -  I always say, "It's my money, and I'll do what the hell I want with it" anyone disagrees can go piss up a rope.  My Vietnamese lady always gives change to them, when her Thai friend asked her "why you do that??, she tells them - "because when I was young, I was like them, no money"  that shuts them up.  Never forget where you came from.

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

"I just feel it must be a sad world you inhabit in your mind."

Oh get off your high horse already.   Nobody's saying you can't give - to whomever whenever howevermuch you want - or believe whatever you want about it.   And FYI - it's certainly possible to reject the idea of dropping cash on street beggars in the belief that you're only subsidizing some out-of-sight mafia scam that exploits people.  '... and yet be extraordinarily generous in giving to legitimate charities, not to mention contribute your time and effort to countless worthy causes.  For those with brains, it's a question of where you really want your donated resources to go, and how much you want people to actually be helped.  Everyone's entitled to comment, whether you approve of their POV or not.  No need to preach at everybody else with your oh-what-a-good-boy-am-I attitude.

On 7/8/2017 at 6:06 AM, joeyg said:

I do too, but not everyone just the ones that I feel are getting more for themselves.  I do know there are mafia controlled beggers, guys will buys kids in then get them on the streets begging.  I typically see an old blind lady and blind guy in tow singing that I usually give them something

Back when I was in Hua Hin. There used to a mentally ill girl in her early twenties.

She had vulnerable written all over her. I used follow her to the market and buy her whatever she wanted food wise.

If they are buying food to eat there any then, then I am happy to help but if someone is exploiting them, then I am part of the problem in their miserable lives not a helping hand.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

"I just feel it must be a sad world you inhabit in your mind."

Oh get off your high horse already.   Nobody's saying you can't give - to whomever whenever howevermuch you want - or believe whatever you want about it.   And FYI - it's certainly possible to reject the idea of dropping cash on street beggars in the belief that you're only subsidizing some out-of-sight mafia scam that exploits people.  '... and yet be extraordinarily generous in giving to legitimate charities, not to mention contribute your time and effort to countless worthy causes.  For those with brains, it's a question of where you really want your donated resources to go, and how much you want people to actually be helped.  Everyone's entitled to comment, whether you approve of their POV or not.  No need to preach at everybody else with your oh-what-a-good-boy-am-I attitude.

Struck a chord did it. Charities are  bigger scammers than those on the Street.  So look very carefully as to whom should climb down of ones high moral high horse. I unlike some I preach to no one. "Good boy attitude? For those with brains" how pathetic your response is.

Edited by jeab1980