Do you give money to beggars on the street?

joeyg

On 08/07/2017 at 5:13 PM, Crossy said:

I was immunized by two incidents in Italy (Rome). First was the "wizened old biddy" who would have given Usain Bolt a run for his money when someone lifted her collection cup, the other was the younger Romany lady with two kids in tow "very poor, cannot buy food", the illusion was shattered when her mobile rang :smile:

That was me ringing the phone that she stole from me while I was sitting in a coffee shop!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never forget the documentary I saw in the UK. They secretly filmed this dirty looking down and out, begging near a tube station. At 6pm he would leave and walk a few hundred meters into a back street where he took off his overcoat changed his shoes and threw it in the boot of his new mercedes !!!

On 08/07/2017 at 7:55 PM, Swiss1960 said:

My Thai wife says NEVER give. Majority of beggers are not Thai and are brought in daily with busses for begging, including the women with the small kids that mostly are not their own. Giving money means feeding mafia

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

With no disrespect to your wife, How would your thai wife know they are not thai ?

i would say the majority are thai , Thais like to think we Thais not do that beg .

i give some times , not care if I give 20 or 50 bht to them at all .

were do you get feeding mafia from ?. 

You think the mafia care about the beggers , think not , care about the  drugs ..

Edited by georgemandm
Spelling

I refuse to give to ant charity regustered or not. Give a oound to them they keep 70p to pay themselves 10p to pay for shops and electric. Leaving 20p if the ones who need the charity aretm really luckly they might see some old clothes which were donated free anyway which begs the question who pockets the other 20p.

Crooks the lot of them

10 hours ago, georgemandm said:

With no disrespect to your wife, How would your thai wife know they are not thai ?

i would say the majority are thai , Thais like to think we Thais not do that beg .

i give some times , not care if I give 20 or 50 bht to them at all .

were do you get feeding mafia from ?. 

You think the mafia care about the beggers , think not , care about the  drugs ..

It is well known in Thailand that allot (not all) of the beggars are controlled by mafia. They buy kids fro, their parents and get them on the street selling flowers, begging, etc. Mostly from Cambodia and Burma.  Search Thai visa and google you will find stories about this. 

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

It is well known in Thailand that allot (not all) of the beggars are controlled by mafia. They buy kids fro, their parents and get them on the street selling flowers, begging, etc. Mostly from Cambodia and Burma.  Search Thai visa and google you will find stories about this. 

Ok , I did google it , no hard  evidence  that it is run by the so called mafia , but if it is then I not care ok , I will take the chance and give , if I feel fit to some of them .

not saying no involvement from out side people, but that is me , I just can't stand seeing  those kids on the streets of bangkok .

if run by  organized crime then why is the thai government not trying to fix it up ?.

In my country it is  illegal  to beg , but then I live in a first world country not 3 rd world like thailand.

I would hop that the thai government try and clean it up , but then again the government not care about thai people just look at how many get killed on the roads ever year.

i take your point on and thanks for that .

I refuse to give to ant charity regustered or not. Give a oound to them they keep 70p to pay themselves 10p to pay for shops and electric. Leaving 20p if the ones who need the charity aretm really luckly they might see some old clothes which were donated free anyway which begs the question who pockets the other 20p.
Crooks the lot of them

I give baby food, diapers, toys etc to Pattaya orphanage. Many ways to give besides money.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, inThailand said:

Isn't it better to give to soi beggars than to the unaccountable iPhone 7 monks?

It just shows you how ignorant you are about some Thai monks, some have degrees got in the UK,  Engineering, Doctors, ext, also some are millionaires,

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

It just shows you how ignorant you are about some Thai monks, some have degrees got in the UK,  Engineering, Doctors, ext, also some are millionaires,

and allot of them are only monks for a few weeks or months then go back to their normal jobs. 

On 7/8/2017 at 4:59 PM, Crossy said:

No never.

The operator of our local teak furniture shop is seriously disabled (polio I think). That doesn't stop him running a successful business from his tea-tray on casters (on which he approaches mach-2.0).

No way in heaven or earth he would consider begging.

He gets a lot of business from us.

The SO's mom has polio. She's run a business for 45 years, raise 5 kids and put them all through college. There is land and houses and trucks everywhere, businesses owned by the kids, too. This morning she's out collecting monies owned by some of her able bodied Thai customers. She's in her 70's