Trip to Thailand with a week layover in Grece

sirineou

Ok so  me and my Thai wife (both have US passports, wife has Thai also)  are planning to come to Thailand in a month or so and on the way there we would like to stop in Greece for a week,  then continue to Thailand .

Difficult to schedule on the online travel websites , I could and will call airlines that go that way, and also call websites that have live support.

Has anyone done something like this, any advise and or leads

Thanks 

You can do multiple stops via some sites. I just did this, but it depends on the airline. Try Skyscanner and see what pops up. Then go to that airlines site and see if you can replicate it. I have called airlines before for help. Sometimes it worked out. Sometimes it didn't.

Worst case. Get 2 single tickets. That sometimes works out good as you can do open jaws easily.

Book Turkish Airlines with a stopover in Istanbul. Do a side trip from there with a separate ticket. Or book any airline that allows a stopover in Europe and do the trip to Greece from there. Turkey is next door to Greece so it might be easier. Some Greek islands are just off the Turkish coast and just a short boat ride away. 

Alternatively you may save time and money by speaking to a travel agent. 

I took took cnxbkkmzn's advice and went to Turkish air website, (I have flown with them befor , good airline) and I could fly straight to Athens, stay there a week, then fly to BKK and return to NYC for $ 1600  

Then I went to  CheapOair https://www.cheapoair.com/fpnext/air/Listing/s/1/su/5c23dd46-8e3b-4109-b8cd-cf4f6b479012

and was able to duplicate the itinerary for $1186

as it turns out CheapOair has a "Multystop" option in their website .

I have to options, Turkish air and Emirates , both good airlines IMO , any opinions on that?

Thank you both for your help I will drink an  Ouzo to your health when there:smile:

i would be happy with a Turkish Airlines and Emirates combination of flights but I always book direct with the airline or a reputable travel agent. Have you googled " cheapoair problems" ?  Always worth doing with these little known websites before you spend the cash. I just looked at the search results, didn't click on any but somebody has gone to the trouble of writing a review which says cheapoair is SCAM. 

Where are you flying from and what dates? 

10 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

i would be happy with a Turkish Airlines and Emirates combination of flights but I always book direct with the airline or a reputable travel agent. Have you googled " cheapoair problems" ?  Always worth doing with these little known websites before you spend the cash. I just looked at the search results, didn't click on any but somebody has gone to the trouble of writing a review which says cheapoair is SCAM. 

Where are you flying from and what dates? 

Even if I have to pay more, I book direct.  I've had problems in the past with these consolidator sites.  When you miss a connection, the airline tells you to call cheapoair instead of helping you.  Not easy to do.  If you book direct, they take of the problems themselves.  Right then and there.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Even if I have to pay more, I book direct.  I've had problems in the past with these consolidator sites.  When you miss a connection, the airline tells you to call cheapoair instead of helping you.  Not easy to do.  If you book direct, they take of the problems themselves.  Right then and there.

That's exactly it. Cheapo probably employ nobody to help you out. Just some computer software that takes your cash and that's the end of their dealings with you. Meanwhile you are stuck at some airport and have to buy alternative flights on the spot at a huge cost. 

SCOOT had fares for Athens to SIN and vice versa for as little as 79€ .Perhaps 115€ to Bangkok.

Probably not any more.

SIN.jpg

DMK and BKK were a little bit more.

flights-from-athens-to-thailand.jpg

Edited by JamJar

On 7/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, JamJar said:

SCOOT had fares for Athens to SIN and vice versa for as little as 79€ .Perhaps 115€ to Bangkok.

Probably not any more.

Thanks forthat info jam Jar i often am in both Greece and Far East and i was unaware of the Scoot outlet. Could be very useful for the future ! Low cost airlines are giving increasingly more low fare opportunities on long haul. I travelled from Manla to Sofia (one way) for less than £130 last week using Cebu Pacific and Wizzair.

Edited by rogeroc

2 hours ago, rogeroc said:

I hope your wife appreciates your efforts OP. The Greek Islands are stunning but will a Thai think so ??

I took the advice of posters looked into it and found workable itineraries with Turkish air and Emirates . Have not as of yet decided which airline we will choose.

I am finishing up some work related projects and will be able to leave as soon as they are completed.

We will do the Acropolis one day , take the "flying dolphin' or the high speed catamaran    from Piraeus to  Santorini .etc

I speak Fluent Greek  and have Friends and Family there.

I Know wife will appreciate Greece , at the very least she can take plenty of pictures which she will post on facebook and make all her friends jealous 

I know she will appreciate that:laugh:

I like to see her face when she sees all the top-less beaches there. LOL

The trip to Thailand from the eastern coast of the US is a long one , 16-18 hours of actual flying plus time for transfers, making it in two legs with a nice break in between makes it more tolerable.