Looking at buying a new T.V.

whiteman

My old 40 inch Samsum smart  T.V. which is nearly 10 years old and can not use netfix seeing it is only a 2 and not a 4 RECEPTION that I am told is needed for it to work.

Any how my main problem is It now has just got  2 sort of railway lines running down the full length of the screen, at the moment it doesn't distract my viewing  but I can see in time it will. So hence why I write here.

I use Pulse tv only for my viewing and I am more than happy with their service. Maybe one day i might give Netflix a go. but my present smart Tv can not handle it.

So what do you guys think is a good deal  at this moment in time>?  I am not into curve screens.  Cost wise I could go up to say 50k maybe  more if needed.

Wow.

If youre TV has HDMI then you can connect a computer.

HTPC - get an i3 processor on a board, big box to stuff a few 3TB hard disks in , starting with one 240GB SSD and one 3TB storage disk.

Wireless keyboard and mouse for using sat on the sofa/bed.

HTPC running Plex can stream movies/tv shows to any device on the same WiFi networks. Trust me, SMART TV sucks. 

If you really want a new TV, then focus on the panel more than anything else. If you want better sound, or internet access, or streaming functions, or sharing options, then you hook it up to HDMI and WiFi (even the best TV's have very poor sound...)

Samsung do some nice 50" UHTV's now. We just picked one up for 20k (low on smart features - but really, Youtube on computer vs smartTV there's NO comparison).

Love SONY LED TVs. But a Samsung or LG will do.

I think you need to say what SIZE screen you're interested in.

Another thing to think about...   The latest TV conundrum is: integrated vs module/separate internet component

Smart TV with built-in Internet connection, or

Large Screen TV with HDMI connection to external Internet Set Top Box

- Smart TV w/Internet

(PROs)

+ One remote to switch and control media input sources

+ Media content sources bundled as part of set

+ No external Internet box cluttering up space

+ Can add external keyboard if desired

(CONs)

- Smart software only supported for a few upgrades (then might not be upgradable)

- If upgradable, requires physical module replacement (how many years supported?)

- Integrated all-in-one component failure can be costly

- Probably won't support android 'Play Store' or 'side-loading' other software, or might not be android-based OS.

- Large Screen with multiple HDMI connections,

Separate HDMI Internet Set Top Box

(PROs)

+ Separate components can be replaced/swapped at will when needed

+ Internet set top box realistically viable for 2 years (but can last much longer), can be swapped when needed

+ Internet set top box can supports android 'Play Store' and 'side-loading' other software

+ Internet set top box can be special version with features tailored to your needs

(CONs)

- Why do I need so many separate effin remotes???

My LG plasma kicked the bucket a few weeks ago and i started researching on a new tv.

I mainly focused on the three main top selling brands Samsung, LG and Sony, they all have

excellent smart tv's at the mid to upper range of their models.

They also have their own operating systems, apart from Sony who have dedicated Android tv's

with built in 16GB memory and 2GB ram, which means no need for a set top box for downloading

apps, whereas the Samsung's & LG's don't have storage built in to enable downloading apps unless 

they're already inside their operating system from new.

I mainly use Kodi as my viewing platform therefore i decided to buy a Sony Android tv which

also have built in Chromecast, and many more inputs & outputs on the back and side for versatility.

Luckily for me last week,  their was a 4 day electronics fair at the Numchai store with big reductions

on offer and managed to get a 55" 4K Sony reduced from 45k down to 32k.   

A bit more info i use a OTT TV BOX MXQ PRO 4K SUPPLIED BY Pulse it works fine for me so mainly the T.V. I am interested in.

All so any ideas what the 2 lines down my screen are from?  Keep the info coming and thank you I am age 70 so not savvy on most thing tech wise I just turn it on and watch.

So do not really want extra stuff added on the side so keeping my box what tv would give me Netfix if one day I decided to get it by using my current set up of Cat high speed internet that is cabled to the box I do not use wi fi but I have it I use direct cat connection to the box which is in front of my old T.V.

2 hours ago, whiteman said:

any ideas what the 2 lines down my screen are from?

Normal component wear.

The LEDs are controlled in an XY Horizontal and Vertical pattern. If an LED driver or wired connection starts dying then you'll see it manifest as a 'line' along an X or Y axis. Sometimes the component recovers, or the issue is heat related, other times it's permanent. In most cases it indicates it's time for a new TV. 

19 minutes ago, RichCor said:

In most cases it indicates it's time for a new TV. 

Or a new monitor :biggrin:

What I see since some two weeks or so.

My >10 year old 5:4 all-in-one thing is slowly giving up :sad:

Will need a quite big 16:9 to have the same height.

wear.jpg

The OP currently has a 10 year old 40" LED TV so it's probably full HD (1080p).

You can get a new similarly sized 43" UHD (4K) LG LED TV for a little as 12,994 baht on Lazada and pay COD. See here.

That would work fine with your Pulse TV service.

As others have already said, you need to specify which sized TV you'd prefer.

The sony android TV only have the components from the same MXQ box built in. so will not be an improvement over the box that you already have. Can buy a Smart or Non-Smart tv ( i use a minix box but it is is too complicated for the girlfriend so she uses the smart TV for you tube viewing etc. Plenty of 4k TV's on sale at Power Buy and other stores. I recently bought a 55 inch 4K TCL smart TV for 15990 baht , display model but works great and has same warranty as new. As a previous poster said the stand alone boxes are much easier to use.

i think 50 size or maybe 55 looks like max now with all your help would be around the 30k range or 35k unless the same stuff is cheaper at Power buy next time I am in the shop i will look and ask and see what bull they try to sell me.

Again thanks 4 your help here keep the info coming if you like all info is good info.

Not looking to buy another tv after this one for the next 10 years if I am still around

21 hours ago, DPGumbypgh said:

The sony android TV only have the components from the same MXQ box built in.

Please stop spreading drivel if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sony use Mediatek processor, while Mxq uses Amlogic processor, other than that I doubt that Sony Japan uses cheap Chinese components

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

ResponseTime (the MS): 4  what the difference if it says response 4  ?

4 ms (Mili Seconds, or thousandth of a second)

LCD TV Response Time: Why it's Important

LCD Buying Guide  |  By Jack Burden

One of the specifications you'll see (or will not see) when researching a new LCD TV flat screen purchase is response time. This important spec represents the amount of time it takes for one pixel to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back to black again.

Think of it in relation to shutter speed on a camera. It's the speed at which an LCD panels crystals twist" to block and allow light to pass. It is measured in milliseconds (ms) with a lower number meaning faster change between active and inactive pixels and resulting in less image artifacts. The lower the response time the better.

"A high response time can completely ruin an otherwise good looking picture"

Many current and older LCD TVs with longer response times display a smear or blur around fast moving objects making them unacceptable for action scenes, sports, video game and just about any fast moving video. For example, when watching a baseball game on an older LCD TV the ball could appear to have a comet like tail when moving quickly across the screen. 

see original article for more info

Last week at the Numchai store there was a big sale on where i saw a 65" TCL for 32990 bt.

It may be worth you go and check before you buy the one at PowerBuy.

I always find that the staff at Numchai are also willing to negotiate the prices that are on display

especially if there are better deals at their competitors.

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

Thank you all for your input I am now looking at the 65 screen TCL  65E7800  NOW 46,900 BHAT I will watch the price it is at Power buy Once again thanks for all the knowledge given to me here 

Search the type number on Lazada. Most probably way cheaper than power buy, same guarantee, and free delivery.

http://www.lcdtvthailand.com/review_detail.php?Page=4&id=1963

A useful review can be found here (it translates to English OK)

If I read it correctly, it appears UHD can only be run via USB not HDMI.

The case is not the most elegant...

You can buy it at Lazada for 37,590 baht.

My personal advice would be to buy a top brand 55' smart TV for less ...for what it's worth... 

Archived