Trump says U.S. hopes for quick trade deal with UK

rooster59

Trump says U.S. hopes for quick trade deal with UK

640x640 (3).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May talks with U.S. President Donald Trump during the G20 leaders summit in Hamburg, Germany July 8, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

HAMBURG (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday met with British Prime Minister Theresa May and said he hoped the United States can quickly seal a bilateral trade deal with the United Kingdom.

"We're working on a trade deal which will be a very, very big deal, a very powerful deal, great for both countries," Trump told reporters as he met with May on the sidelines of the G20.

"I think we'll have that done very, very quickly," Trump said.

Britain cannot seal a separate trade deal with the United States until it has left the European Union in 2019.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-09

The UK obviously does need to start talks on trade deals post EU and it makes sense to start them early. A simple acknowledgment is all that was required here, rather than the unnecessary use of superlatives, using the word "very' five times in two sentences and even then mucking it up. 2019 is not "very very quickly."  I often think Donald does not realise, it is the same massive headlines he so craves, that actually do him the most damage, by revealing his shortcomings.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The UK obviously does need to start talks on trade deals post EU and it makes sense to start them early. A simple acknowledgment is all that was required here, rather than the unnecessary use of superlatives, using the word "very' five times in two sentences and even then mucking it up. 2019 is not "very very quickly."  I often think Donald does not realise, it is the same massive headlines he so craves, that actually do him the most damage, by revealing his shortcomings.

You're right about Trump's use of superlative adjectives.

His vocabulary is like a 9 year old girl's.  Everything in his world is either 'very very excellent' or 'very horrible.'  No middle ground.   You can always tell when a Tweet from Trump is dictated by his handlers:  it doesn't sound like a bratty little kid's.   It happens on about 5 to 10% of hits tweets.   

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

It looks like he is trying to squeeze Theresa May's hand a bit hard. I would have liked to see him try that with Margaret Thatcher. 

David Blaine, my favorite magician, is able to shake hands with a person and clandestinely remove that person's watch without the person knowing it.  It's a great trick, and of course David always gives the jewelry back.  Perhaps Trump's vigorous hand-shaking technique is Trump's way of trying to perfect Blaine's sleight of hand.  I notice, in the pic, Ms May has a fancy bracelet.  In Trump's case, if he could wrest those jewels off her wrist, he would probably slip into his pocket, for keeps.

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

David Blaine, my favorite magician, is able to shake hands with a person and clandestinely remove that person's watch without the person knowing it.  It's a great trick, and of course David always gives the jewelry back.  Perhaps Trump's vigorous hand-shaking technique is Trump's way of trying to perfect Blaine's sleight of hand.  I notice, in the pic, Ms May has a fancy bracelet.  In Trump's case, if he could wrest those jewels off her wrist, he would probably slip into his pocket, for keeps.

He has already got his hand in the US taxpayer's pockets, he's like an octopus eight different ways to rob us blind.

Edited by tonray

When foreign leaders act so nice and polite with Trump, is that part of that act, so he doesn't unleash his wrath upon them?  Trump has been known to praise anyone who praises him.  That includes Putin, Duterte, Prayut, Erdogan.  Trump is also well known for breathing fire on anyone who doesn't praise him - and sometimes he can do it in a NY minute.   Example:  in a room full of inside-the-beltway VIPs, Trump called over Comey, lavishly praised him, and even threw him a kiss.  A week or so later, Trump rudely fired him, as you might fire a valet for parking your car awkwardly.

Yeah, but . . . 

Five "verys" in two sentences from Trump (where did the guy get his schooling to be so impoverished for superlatives?) sounds like a hard sell. But of what, exactly?

He  surely can't be talking of resurrecting the dreaded TTIP  - already rejected by the EU - and getting Mother Theresa to inflict  it on her bedraggled post-Brexit flock?

Time to get on our hind hooves and shout "Baa!"

Edited by Krataiboy

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

With President Trump's vocabulary noted it was the following that took my note; ' ...a very powerful deal...' It just me made wonder if this was to be some special military deal.

When you see the deal, it'll knock your socks off, curl your hair and make your eyeballs bounce outta their sockets like a cartoon wolf seeing a buxom blond in a tight miniskirt.

Is it clear now?

T

May will take anything offered at the moment as she is drowning.  Certainly a nod towards a trade deal would be a positive thing but Trump won't deliver on it.  No deals can be done until after the UK has left the EU and that looks like being further away than the next 18 months.  In the meantime if Trump grows a pair and comes to the UK (I really hope he does) then I think the reception he get's will destroy any chance of any imminent trade deals afterwards.  His fragile ego wouldn't allow it.

Silly game...

Trump wants to cause trouble for Europe to maintain the US dominance,  he hopes the UK will leave the EU with no deal thinking they will get a good deal with the USA, but then we will have to accept the US terms which I doubt will be favourable to us Brits.

Is May that stupid???  possibly yes, remember she did call that snap election....

Edited by Basil B