Security of houses and condos

Living on the 17th floor of a condo, I wish anyone luck who wants to come in via the balcony. As other posters have said, a would-be burglar has no idea what's behind the door. In my case, it's golf clubs. Another guy in my condo has a GF who is the closest thing to a human pitbull I have seen.

Logistically, it is far too difficult in a condo for anyone without inside knowledge.

Houses are a different matter. Security for a house consists of making the house the most difficult target for a burglar in the village. Even then, there's no guarantee someone won't try.

4 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Insurance for contents in thailand? I have been told several times that this is a no no but if I am being advised incorrectly pls by all means correct me ( politely) 

My company is "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited", recommended by my broker. Covers all house content for theft and damage (i.e. fire) and valuables must be specifically mentioned (i.e. expensive watches, gold or cameras). 

a "no no" could only be that you are publicly announcing to many people (staff of broker and insurance) what valuables you have inside your home (at least that was my wife's main concern). 

On 7/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, Jingthing said:

I've got a condo and a safe.

I keep important documents in the safe.

If someone wanted to, they could pick my door lock or even kick it in.

The condo security is mostly theater.

I've left sometimes for months at a time and never a problem.

My impression is that condos are more secure than houses.

It's not just an impression, it's obviously the truth.

I know people who have been robbed in a village where house cost 30 millions baht. Same "security" as usual...

On 7/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, grollies said:

I got a S&W .38

But seriously, how many TVF members have been burgled here?

Our last 'break-in' was the shed while we were working back in Blighty. Took half the scooter (what they could get through the window). Was about 6/7 years ago. No trouble since then.

Mind you, our next door neighbour does have a 9mm and a pump-action shotgun. And most round here know that...deterrent effect...

We're countryfolk though.

Get somewhere with good window bars and good door locks.

Anyone got break-in stories?

Yes, this is a benefit of living in a house, feeling like a jail cell with bars all around :-)

Thanks to all of you giving helpful advice with a good intention ! We will rent a condo and apply some of the tips given. We may get at least a commmunal pool but my wife must skip her garden.

Thanks again.

Me thinks you worry too much! Chai yen yen....:sleep:

Build a panic room in your home if you're so concerned. And don't watch the movie 'Panic Room' if you want to sleep nights..... :smile:

I was broken into so many times on my building site in UK I would have charged them rent if I'd caught them. Never had a thing go missing on our building site in Thailand or the homes we've lived in, including a bamboo shack that could be entered with a Stanley knife! 

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

We will rent a condo and apply some of the tips given. We may get at least a commmunal pool but my wife must skip her garden.

Some condos - mostly older ones - have very large patios that can be converted into garden areas. I've seen some that look very nice indeed.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

News media reports I have seen of house break-ins: many.

News media reports I have seen of condo break-ins: none.

It seems pretty obvious to me that a house is a much better target than a condo would be. Why? Because from the corridor in a condo it's generally impossible to tell who is home or away, or when they are likely to come back, or whether they have anything worth stealing. Also whilst a thief is breaking the lock any number of other neighbours/people might walk right past him. Also there is possibly CCTV in every corridor. And anything stolen would have to be carried down to the lobby and out of the front door.

I have a decent lock on my condo door and I wouldn't think twice about going away for a month or a year. I just turn off the water and power.

The sliding doors on my balcony dont close properly at all so anyone could just slide them open from outside, but that would mean someone desperate enough, and who isnt scared of height, being in a neighbouring unit.

I agree with most of  your analysis.

Even if the thief has access to the stairs and the lift -he is faced with a dilemma  -which floor -which room. The room has to empty of  people and  at the same time loaded up with portable high value items.

Plus there is  a  chance of getting caught

Risky job being a condo  thief!

Given all  that I find it difficult to justify the 200,000 Baht per year cost of a night time  security guard.

So why have one -fear I guess.

I disagree with the notion that CCTV will deter.

If the condo ended up with a full face photo of the thief -it is highly unlikely that the police will take any positive action.

Why-they cannot justify using Thai resources to retrieve  Farang assets

12 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Yes, this is a benefit of living in a house, feeling like a jail cell with bars all around :-)

We live outdoors and only go inside to watch TV some evenings, and sleep. 

I just prefer this to condo living.:smile:

On 7/10/2017 at 8:55 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

OP never been burgled. The security at most villages is a farce, most employ untrained ill equipped security guards. Villages can attract robbers compared to a house among Thai houses. If you have a house I will advise as follows:

Step 1 -Buy in a good area.

Step 2 - Install a good electric security fence

Step 3 - 

Step 4 - 

Optional Step 5 -

Step 6 - You personally build in a hidden safe, where you will keep valuable items.

Step 7 - Buying big safe sounds good but has to be delivered so everyone knows you have one.

Step 8 - get a safe deposit box (not at a bank as they give no insurance and have lax security). In here you keep all the stuff you cant afford to lose.

Step 9 - Do not have any safe/guitars/whatever you have visible to AC repair/ TV cable installation guys etc.

Good luck.

:whistling:

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

If you like mosquitoes and all other insects permanently around, I agree that it must be fun :-)

Facinating to read that there are no mozzies or other insects in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Facinating to read that there are no mozzies or other insects in Pattaya.

In my condo building I find that once above about the 10th floor I dont see much of them, though they are numerous nearer the ground.

I dont know of many 10 story houses though.