Security of houses and condos

Soon moving to TH (Thai Wife, me, retired) we are concerned with security of houses (rental). Build quality (especially doors and windows) in TH will not prevent burglars to break in. 7 x 24h security (gated community) any good ?

Does this mean that alone for this reason renting a house is not advisable ? Where to keep expensive stuff (papers etc. may be deposited in a bank safe deposit box), but how about Guitars, Electronics, jewellery, bags etc. ? Are good surveillance systems  readily available ?

Buying a safe (a really big extremely heavy one at least for some things) an option ? Please do not comment on the obvious solution of not having anything expensive in the first place :smile:What is your experience yourself or what have you learned from others ? Comments are really appreciated.

I've got a condo and a safe.

I keep important documents in the safe.

If someone wanted to, they could pick my door lock or even kick it in.

The condo security is mostly theater.

I've left sometimes for months at a time and never a problem.

My impression is that condos are more secure than houses.

I got a S&W .38

But seriously, how many TVF members have been burgled here?

Our last 'break-in' was the shed while we were working back in Blighty. Took half the scooter (what they could get through the window). Was about 6/7 years ago. No trouble since then.

Mind you, our next door neighbour does have a 9mm and a pump-action shotgun. And most round here know that...deterrent effect...

We're countryfolk though.

Get somewhere with good window bars and good door locks.

Anyone got break-in stories?

In general I'd say Thailand is pretty safe. Particularly condos. I've had places burglarized and things stolen in Philippines, China, Morocco and Mexico. The latter was in a place with serious security to boot. Never once in Thailand. Then again, I think it depends largely on your condo building. Houses I imagine are a much easier target.

As others have said. Get a safe for your paperwork and valuables, and bolt it down.

Edited by Senechal

Your house is not safe. That's the conclusion when even a high govt official had his safe broken through and a couple of hundred millions stolen.

That of course became a high profile case in corruption.

@Moogradod: I live in a house in a community where the security (7x24) is mainly sleeping and lets everybody go in, could as well save the money... but in the 2 years I live here, I heard of one break-in and that was in a Thai owned house, probably based on insider information (money in the house for a next day business). Otherwise, specially in the more foreigner oriented area with more expensive houses, I never heard of any break-in. I live in the outskirts of Pattaya, so not really in a low-crime part of Thailand.

As owner, I have a 80kg safe bolted to the floor, with a dual-access system (code and key) and there, I keep all the smaller staff (papers, watches, keys, gold of wife etc.). As we own the house, we installed CCTV and alarm systems for around 20'000 Baht all together and since that is visible on the outside, it is a good deterrent. As you rent, CCTV ad alarm might not be your option, but the safe is definitely worth installing. Dogs are also pretty good burglar preventors, but that is not for me. Safety boxes in banks are very hard to get, they normally only give them to really good customers. 

Issue will be with your bigger items (specially your guitars of TV etc), as you can't fold them into a safe... so windows and door security are important. Most houses have sliding stell doors with mosquito nets inside the glass doors, that gives you a pretty good line of defence. Other things that you can do is for example keep lights on outside during the dark hours, don't show any of your expensive goods to too many people and talk with the community management about CCTV on the streets, security doing regular rounds in the village (not only 1 per night) etc. Security is as good as the management keeps them up to their job. 

Doors and windows in Europe also don't really prevent break-ins, as you know well. Burglars adapt their methods to higher security measures and the number of break-ins do not really go down. 

Finally, get yourself an insurance (personal property insurance / comprehensive house insurance), so that you are at least financially covered. 

OP never been burgled. The security at most villages is a farce, most employ untrained ill equipped security guards. Villages can attract robbers compared to a house among Thai houses. If you have a house I will advise as follows:

Step 1 -Buy in a good area.

Step 2 - Put up sturdy burglar bars.

Step 3 - Install a good quality alarm system with a dial up service.

Step 4 - If its possible have big dog(s).

Optional Step 5 - CCTV as this don't protect you against a crime, it just records the crime. 

Step 6 - You personally build in a hidden safe, where you will keep valuable items.

Step 7 - You buy a big safe and put it in open sight, in here you put stuff you want to protect but which can be replaced by insurance.

Step 8 - get a safe deposit box (not at a bank as they give no insurance and have lax security). In here you keep all the stuff you cant afford to lose.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

For gawd sake it's where you decide to live in Thailand,  where you coming from Caracas in Venezuela.  :laugh:

Jeeez....I couldn't believe what the OP was saying. If that sort of thing worries a person to that extent would it not be better just to stay put.

Life is short and retirement is a time to let your hair down and get on ing with living life to the fullest of one's ability and not worrying about things that may never happen.

There are no pockets in the shroud so just take life as it comes.

Might surprise one to know that Thailand is not a land full of gangsters and thieves.

10 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Jeeez....I couldn't believe what the OP was saying. If that sort of thing worries a person to that extent would it not be better just to stay put.

Life is short and retirement is a time to let your hair down and get on ing with living life to the fullest of one's ability and not worrying about things that may never happen.

Might surprise one to know that Thailand is not a land full of gangsters and thieves.

No, just one in ten households have a person with addiction to drug or gambling...

Watch the morning Thai news to be in the know...

We are in the process of fitting out a new house , bought as a completed property. The build quality is not UK standard, but we expect that and we are not paying UK build prices. The Windows and doors are not at all secure, so we will replace those at some point. A safe seems sensible, but it needs to be permanent so concreted in.  Even so, we distribute valuables around the property, so not all in one place. We keep cash to a minimum, that's just sensible living. The estate is not a guarded one, we didn't want that, but it is patrolled and most of our closer neighbours are Thai Militray familys, , so we feel relatively safe. 

News media reports I have seen of house break-ins: many.

News media reports I have seen of condo break-ins: none.

It seems pretty obvious to me that a house is a much better target than a condo would be. Why? Because from the corridor in a condo it's generally impossible to tell who is home or away, or when they are likely to come back, or whether they have anything worth stealing. Also whilst a thief is breaking the lock any number of other neighbours/people might walk right past him. Also there is possibly CCTV in every corridor. And anything stolen would have to be carried down to the lobby and out of the front door.

I have a decent lock on my condo door and I wouldn't think twice about going away for a month or a year. I just turn off the water and power.

The sliding doors on my balcony dont close properly at all so anyone could just slide them open from outside, but that would mean someone desperate enough, and who isnt scared of height, being in a neighbouring unit.

i am similar to previous reply---a good condo is the safest way-- buy a safe for valuables and important documents....my condo building requires card access to enter then again for the lift and it is coded so that  the user only gets access to his own floor...some people even fit a double lock----i dont think  you can get much better than that....as above,i just turn off the power ,shut the day  and can happily leave for months at a time

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

Here in Phuket, we pay the police monthly "protection" money. They don't do anything but install a red mailbox that says "police", warning would be burglars. Never had a problem.

You pay the police 'protection' money? Why, unless you got a business?

If you don't mind me asking (you probably do) how much do you pay monthly?

Does everyone in Phuket do this?

35 minutes ago, grollies said:

You pay the police 'protection' money? Why, unless you got a business?

If you don't mind me asking (you probably do) how much do you pay monthly?

Does everyone in Phuket do this?

No must do not pay, that's why thiefs pick their house. The thiefs know the police will hunt them down...they are f...with their revenue stream. 

2,500B per month.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Yeah for sure there are places and places in Thailand of course but l've never felt threaten travelling all Thailand at any time even far south.

We don't have or need camera's we have Thai neighbours :laugh:  we leave our house partially open during the day whether we're in or out,  only lock front gates at night.

In our village I understand foreign tourists locking their hired bicycles when parked next to my scoot left with the keys in the ignition while l sit in my restaurant/pub. :biggrin:

...to pretend that Thailand is safe...for foreigners....with valuables....and assets...is inane....

...if you have doubts from now....I would say that you probably have a right to be concerned...

...whatever some of these happy posters are talking about...the flip side is....a lot of foreigners have ended up 'cleaned out'...one way or another....and even dead...

...good luck...

Don't think break-ins are all that common so wouldn't get too overwrought about it, if paranoid go for a condo with a strong door. Did hear about a high-so moobaan that was suffering a few, either corrupt security or just seen as where the pickings are.

Lived in a Thai neighborhood in the city for years (not moobaan), no bars on the house, no video and no alarm system, never had a break-in or even heard of one in the area. But sometimes you can just be unlucky...

5 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

@Moogradod: I live in a house in a community where the security (7x24) is mainly sleeping and lets everybody go in, could as well save the money... but in the 2 years I live here, I heard of one break-in and that was in a Thai owned house, probably based on insider information (money in the house for a next day business). Otherwise, specially in the more foreigner oriented area with more expensive houses, I never heard of any break-in. I live in the outskirts of Pattaya, so not really in a low-crime part of Thailand.

As owner, I have a 80kg safe bolted to the floor, with a dual-access system (code and key) and there, I keep all the smaller staff (papers, watches, keys, gold of wife etc.). As we own the house, we installed CCTV and alarm systems for around 20'000 Baht all together and since that is visible on the outside, it is a good deterrent. As you rent, CCTV ad alarm might not be your option, but the safe is definitely worth installing. Dogs are also pretty good burglar preventors, but that is not for me. Safety boxes in banks are very hard to get, they normally only give them to really good customers. 

Issue will be with your bigger items (specially your guitars of TV etc), as you can't fold them into a safe... so windows and door security are important. Most houses have sliding stell doors with mosquito nets inside the glass doors, that gives you a pretty good line of defence. Other things that you can do is for example keep lights on outside during the dark hours, don't show any of your expensive goods to too many people and talk with the community management about CCTV on the streets, security doing regular rounds in the village (not only 1 per night) etc. Security is as good as the management keeps them up to their job. 

Doors and windows in Europe also don't really prevent break-ins, as you know well. Burglars adapt their methods to higher security measures and the number of break-ins do not really go down. 

Finally, get yourself an insurance (personal property insurance / comprehensive house insurance), so that you are at least financially covered. 

Insurance for contents in thailand? I have been told several times that this is a no no but if I am being advised incorrectly pls by all means correct me ( politely) 

20 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Insurance for contents in thailand? I have been told several times that this is a no no but if I am being advised incorrectly pls by all means correct me ( politely) 

Most companies offer condo insurance that includes contents and liability. Usually around 2,500B per million Baht of cover. I have it to cover possible liability for water leaks which are common in older buildings.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/home-and-family-insurance

Edited by KittenKong

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Most companies offer condo insurance that includes contents and liability. Usually around 2,500B per million Baht of cover. I have it to cover possible liability for water leaks which are common in older buildings.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/home-and-family-insurance

Hi KK, thanks very much. You must think me stupid for not checking AXA  especially when the car was insured with them. .........

1 minute ago, The Dark Lord said:

Hi KK, thanks very much. You must think me stupid for not checking AXA  especially when the car was insured with them. .........

That was just an example. You should shop around as prices and conditions can vary a lot.

I've always felt very safe in all the condos that I have lived in in Pattaya.  The most recent ones have all had keycard security--you need a keycard to operate the elevator and you can only go to your floor and selected public floors like the sky pool, gym, etc.  My partner and I feel we can lock u and to traveling and our condo will be safe while we are gone.  We've always lived at least a dozen floors up so a break-in through the windows is remote.  I don't think I'd feel very safe living in a house--even one in a gated estate.  Almost everyone we know who lives in a house has been broken into at least once.