Hotdog Casings? How to Cook

CN1050

I've bought three batches of various hot dogs at the store and every time they have come in these difficult casings that I cannot seem to cook. Anyone have tips on how to cook these or if they ought to be avoided altogether? Also, if there is a better alternative in Chiang Mai for hot dogs that is reasonably priced I'm all ears.

Not a region specific question though, so I'm putting this in general.

Oh I see, so the casing ought to be removed. I've just boiled a few and the casings have split up so I suppose I'll peel them off and eat them that way. Quite inconvenient when compared to the American variety. I knew that some had natural casings that they are meant to be cooked with so I was curious if this was the same, sad to see that isn't the case.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I have bought hot dogs with quite a thick plastic casing. I heat them up in a pan of boiling water then peel off the casing.

If you want to fry them I think you might need to remove the casing first.

Are they ready to eat once you remove the casings after boiling? I am eating the chicken-kind.

With chicken ones we use, the casings are left on and consumed. Have found that they will split if cooked too long.

Can't give you the name as I haven't got a package at the moment. Only found them in local markets not in Lotus.

Next one we buy, I'll take a photo and post it here.

Chickenlegs is correct, most if not all are actually precooked.

Most hot dogs have normal edible casing - those wrapped in clear plastic are easy to see as they are twist tied at ends and those need to have plastic removed - very easy to do on cold dog before heating (never heat in plastic - and if you make a mistake just discard).  Have mostly found the plastic used on chicken types - but it is something you need to be aware of as does not seem to be specific to any one brand.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Most hot dogs have normal edible casing - those wrapped in clear plastic are easy to see as they are twist tied at ends

Some of the best dogs I've ever tasted came in a normal hog casing that looked just like the plastic casing at arms length- but not quite as clear- only if I looked really closely.  

A little disconcerting to bite into a crunchy hot dog the first time, but they were great.  Sadly I don't remember the brand or location, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Thailand.  So far, all I've found here is the bland mushy ones.  Though Foodland has quite a selection that I'll probably never test my way through.  Some are better than others, and some like the bacon flavor are just nasty.

Like some others, I found the ones with plastic casings after boiling them up.  Just peeled it off and the dogs seemed fine.  Can't see how that would work on a grill or fried up in a pan.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Most hot dogs have normal edible casing - those wrapped in clear plastic are easy to see as they are twist tied at ends and those need to have plastic removed - very easy to do on cold dog before heating (never heat in plastic - and if you make a mistake just discard).  Have mostly found the plastic used on chicken types - but it is something you need to be aware of as does not seem to be specific to any one brand.  

Your note about discarding them after cooking in plastic seems odd. I think that boiling shouldn't be an issue. Without boiling them first it is a mess of work to try and take off the plastic anyways. Most others here and those who have messaged me, seem to do it that way so I'll continue with that method. Though yes, I do see this a lot on the chicken ones after a more in-depth trip to the store. Though some of these dogs are mush on the inside and taking the plastic off before cooking is messy.

If plastic it should come off easily by removing twist at one end and tear when still cold.  But admit I do not boil as heating is a prime use for microwave and switched to using that method about 60 years ago and not eating comment was based on that heating method.  Never was much good at boiling water.  :smile:  Microwave is single step easy way for my one frank.

Oh I see, the variety I'm stuck with at the moment unfortunately does not have tied ends, but a nearly seamless casing with a small hole at the tips. If I come across the tied ones, I will try to remove before cooking. I just lack trust when mixing the microwave with new food in a new country haha, eliminating as many variables as possible so that I can understand why XYZ food made me ill later down the line!

Are you sure that is not an edible casing rather than plastic?   The edible types will break into small pieces rather than strongly hold together like plastic, (at least if done in microwave), when you try to remove.  

On 7/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, Ron19 said:

With chicken ones we use, the casings are left on and consumed. Have found that they will split if cooked too long.

Can't give you the name as I haven't got a package at the moment. Only found them in local markets not in Lotus.

Next one we buy, I'll take a photo and post it here.

Chickenlegs is correct, most if not all are actually precooked.

Here is the brand of chicken sausages with edible casings.

As I've mentioned before, have only found them in local markets in our area of Uttaradit which is Ampoe Phichai.

Have not seen them in Lotus or Fridays.

DSC01418.JPG