Phuket residents plea for help to prevent high-speed accidents

webfact

Phuket residents plea for help to prevent high-speed accidents

Eakkapop Thongtub

1499673218_1-org.jpg

The three-truck wipeout early yesterday morning has prompted residents to speak out against the lack of action by Phuket authorities to make the notorious blackspot safer. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Local residents in Thalang are calling for authorities to take steps to prevent any further high-speed accidents in their neighbourhood after a pickup truck crashed into a home’s concrete boundary wall in a three-vehicle wipeout early yesterday morning (July 9).

The accident occurred on a curve on Thepkrasattri Rd near Tha Ruea Shrine in Koh Kaew where a Chang beer delivery crashed at about 2:30am last Wednesday (July 5). (See story here.)

Police and rescue workers were called to the scene at 4:45am.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-residents-plea-for-help-to-prevent-high-speed-accidents-62960.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-10

Yet another SuperCheap small truck involved in an accident ... read that often. And a Myanmar driver .... mmmm thought they were all sent home. No doubt SuperCheap has a lot of clout.  I see many of these small trucks buzzing about every where all day with shop top up stock. Often terrible drivers and worse parkers. They just back up to the store on Patak and block off one lane while they unload.No thought to parallel park as more carrying involved. 

I've racked up just under 4000km around Thailand over the past couple of weeks- on the highways only saw the aftermath of 3 crashes. The closer I got to Phuket the worse the driving got and Thepkasattri was its normal Wacky Races. As long as the authorities have no interest in enforcing traffic regulations nothing will change.

I even stopped for the red light at the old airport road and a police truck just blew straight past me. If even they won't obey the law there's little hope for the rest. The carnage will just continue.

Edited by Psimbo

18 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I've racked up just under 4000km around Thailand over the past couple of weeks- on the highways only saw the aftermath of 3 crashes. The closer I got to Phuket the worse the driving got and Thepkasattri was its normal Wacky Races. As long as the authorities have no interest in enforcing traffic regulations nothing will change.

I even stopped for the red light at the old airport road and a police truck just blew straight past me. If even they won't obey the law there's little hope for the rest. The carnage will just continue.

Yea whenever I go out for a day trip on the bike outside Phuket and come back, it's very noticable how much worse the driving is here. Usually when going from the north near the airport all the way down south to Rawai, I'd notice at least one accident on the way. The amount of people driving over red lights or in the wrong direction is insane. And nothing is being done, even if a traffic police officer is right next to them! And if you have an accident and ask the police to check CCTV, the cameras mysteriously are not working or non-existing.

16 hours ago, trogers said:

Guess the authorities have not read about speed cameras on their green phosphorus computer monitors...

Oh yes cameras have been installed 2 years ago but nobody cares about checking them or maintaining them,

it is connected with work and it gives a bad name to send out tickets with fines.

1 minute ago, jobwolf said:

Oh yes cameras have been installed 2 years ago but nobody cares about checking them or maintaining them,

it is connected with work and it gives a bad name to send out tickets with fines.

Probably nothing to do with bad names, but more on a preference to use a personal touch... Yes, very personal touches to those notes...

I would actually like to see some numbers regarding the automated cameras that were funded by some UK foundation (a few million THB?) that were supposedly capable of automatically fining people for running red lights, driving in the wrong direction or having no helmet. Judging by the number of people who don't care one bit, I'd say the system doesn't work one bit but I'd be happy to be wrong.

15 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I agree - any multi carriageway main road in Phuket is indeed 'Wacky Races' by drivers who know nothing about highway code or road etiquette.