Skin ulcer/strep-strap infection - treatment plan

Andy1958

I recently had a tiny knee injury infected with either straphylococcus or streptococcus, which soon developed into a nasty baht size wound because I was slow getting to the hospital (The Dibuk in Phuket - very good and cheaper than the rest).

When I did, the doctor cleaned out the ulcer under local anesthetic  with saline and iodine, filled the hole with sterile gauze soaked in saline, and covered it. I had IV Ceftriaxone for three days (you can't take it orally) and took three 20mg Clindamycin antibiotic capsules a day for a week. That killed off the infection and it looked much better.

Having spent 9000 baht already, my wife (a nurse) now looked after the wound. She cleaned it up daily with saline and iodine, then put a new wonder gel on it called Solcoseryl. This speeds up healing enormously. We also put Terramycin antibiotic gel (Pfiser) on it daily - it's really for eye infections, but works on wounds.

Anyway, I reckon  I could have saved a lot of money and avoided going to hospital if I had taken some Clindamycin pills and used iodine and the gels as soon as I knew I had a problem. Next time I'll be quicker off the mark!

I know many of us self-treat because of expense and language problems. Maybe this will help you if you do.

Edited by Andy1958
spelling

It's not rocket science if you have some basic knowledge - I have a biology degree, I was an army medic, my wife is a registered nurse and it's just like choosing a spanner to deal with a nut, and not a hammer.

The relevant info is online - wiki etc lists the usual treatment plans including the usual antibiotics. It's an informed  choice thing.

For minor problems like skin problems, fine. Major problems, well that's a whole different ball game....

3 hours ago, Andy1958 said:

It's not rocket science if you have some basic knowledge - I have a biology degree, I was an army medic, my wife is a registered nurse and it's just like choosing a spanner to deal with a nut, and not a hammer.

The relevant info is online - wiki etc lists the usual treatment plans including the usual antibiotics. It's an informed  choice thing.

For minor problems like skin problems, fine. Major problems, well that's a whole different ball game....

How would you know which antibiotics would be effective for the strain of bacteria causing the problem?  Years of clinical experience give most doctors a big advantage. 

Go to a pharmacist in the UK and they give you a fluoroquinolone class antibiotic ear drops for an ear infection. They won’t even look in your ear. Go with an eye infection, they’ll give you an oxytetracyclin cream. You don’t need a prescription, because they don’t do any harm and it’s worth a try for minor ailments. Skin ailments are similar – you take an anti-fungal for Athletes Foot, Mupirocin for infected wounds. Simple.

They do this because going to the doctor or casualty clogs up surgeries with minor ailments best treated at home – this happens because people today increasingly behave like scared, helpless kids, incapable or terrified of taking an informed decision on their own. Parents are increasingly taking children in with wounds that are easy to deal with with some iodine and a few sterile dressings.

As I said before, this is not rocket science – it is time more people behaved like adults and stopped being frightened of really simple things and took control. There is plenty of help now on the internet. Yes, doctors may be professionals, and they are needed for non-minor stuff, but remember - professionals built the Titanic!

No, it is not that simple, especially where systemic antibiotics are involved. Fine to use a broad spectrum antibiotic cream or ointment as a preventive or for a very minor infection, but the choice of antibiotic - and whether it needs to be by mouth or IV - is complex, as can be assessing the seriousness of a skin infection. More than a few  people have lost all or part of a limb because they underestimated how serious a skin infection was or how fast it could spread.

My advice would be: if you can successfully manage the problem topically (wound cleaning, betedine, perhaps antibiotic ointment) fine, but if it needs more than that, see a doctor.