Traffic police launch live Facebook channel to facilitate traffic

webfact

Traffic police launch live Facebook channel to facilitate traffic

BANGKOK, 11th July 2017 (NNT) - The Traffic Police Headquarters has launched a Facebook Live channel to broadcast real-time traffic conditions. It has had over 23,000 views so far.

The live program is operated by the Commissioner of the Traffic Police Pol Maj Gen Jirasan Kaewsangaek and Deputy Inspector Col Sakda Yathip. 

Pol Maj Gen Jirasan said the live channel is another tool to help commuters plan their trips. The show will gather suggestions from Facebook comments, and officials will evaluate the impact of the live program on traffic management. On the day of its launch, the channel had 23,000 views. However, Pol Maj Gen Jirasan warned that it is illegal to use a phone while driving. Therefore, drivers are advised to watch the program before driving or have a passenger watch the program to gather information. 

The live program will focus on rush hours, updates on recent traffic accidents, advise on routes to avoid, as well as traffic tips. In the evening, the live program takes take place from 4:30pm to 6:00pm.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-11

Much more effective to have an app where you get the locations marked for every traffic light manned and controlled by a police officer, that way you already know what you are in for and it only took a second of your time.

Fascinating irony, given the traffic lights have been so-say computerised for years but the BiB prefer to play with the knobs manually.

Let's trust it does a better job than the RTP on its own. That is, until the Junta decides FB is persona non-gratis.

We're probably lucky there is no link. Assuming that only people in Bangkok would be interested in local traffic conditions, what better way to collect the profile details of Facebook users for future monitoring. A trojan horse, me thinks.

At first I thought that your post was, not paranoid, but a bit alarmist. Then I thought a bit more about this regimes obsession with and obvious wish to gain control over social media, and you may be right. It would need a lot of resources but it would probably ( in their eyes ) be worth it. A plus would be that you could do it from air conditioned offices - and the information harvested could well be used to raise revenue - sorry I meant fight crime.