Entry denied Bangkok Airport

4 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Than why do they leech of other people in places where they don't need to be then?

Everywhere?  Which coffee shop are you talking about ? 

Here in Pattaya I see a mixed group of people, mostly tourists , everyone on a smart phone these days , not so many laptops in use from my own observations. Actually most of the people I see sitting with a laptop at Starbucks in Central are  older folks. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Just now, j8k said:

You sound very bitter.

Maybe you should try and earn some extra money online to bolster your shrinking UK pension? 

You might scrape enough together for a night out at the 7eleven with your friend Leo.

Now i know i am getting the better of you when you stoop to personal insults.   :coffee1:

Not bitter in the least just hate parasites, I have worked all my life to get where i am now 

no freeloading involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asean said:

Maybe you can tell us about all the other countries that have special visas for digital nomads LOL........maybe you cut those "halfwit diving instructors" some slack too :P

Germany, Estonia, Chile... Thailand is considering one actually

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jspill said:

Germany, Estonia, Chile... Thailand is considering one actually

That would be great then they can all get together and buy their own digital

cafe' and pay their own overheads, don't hold your breath though.

And heh watch out for freeloaders coming in, or sorry digital nomads.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

On 12/07/2017 at 0:15 PM, JackThompson said:

Yes, "now" has apparently arrived.  This would be the first confirmed case of someone with a Tourist Visa + 20K+ Baht being denied entry. 

He even had an outgoing ticket, which is not necessary if you enter with a Visa - still not good enough. 

As I have been saying for a long time, Airport Immigration is a game of roulette for those with a frequent and/or longer-stay history in Thailand.  The only question is when/if this will start happening at land-borders - but at least you aren't stuck in detention, if denied there.

Re: New passport - as the Thai Consulate personnel will tell you to do.
Re: Hotel and Airline bookings - he had a legit airline-booking, it would seem.  It made no difference.  I am not aware if hotel-booking was even discussed - he may have a rental-contract

But none of this was the reason for denial.  It is based on 'suspicion' of working.  If he was from a poor-nation, that might make sense.  He isn't.  This isn't about illegal workers or 'scams' - it is about 'removing longer-staying foreigners' from Thailand before they can put down roots, marry, etc.  There are other threads discussing the increasing set of hurdles for other visa-types, so I won't go OT here with the list.

Most countries limit tourists stays to 6 months why should Thailand be any diferent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Surely they would not be nomads, if they stayed in one place all the time ?

Just 1.5 years in each place gives you ~30 countries to visit in a normal lifespan, thats pretty nomadic

People are getting denied entry lately after only about a year in Thailand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gamini said:

Most countries limit tourists stays to 6 months why should Thailand be any diferent?

Those countries are different to Thailand they often allow a simple route to citizenship, unrestricted employment in any field, first world facilities, ability to buy land etc. False equivalency, should compare to the rest of SE Asia 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

That would be great then they can all get together and buy their own digital

cafe' and pay their own overheads, don't hold your breath though.

And heh watch out for freeloaders coming in, or sorry digital nomads.

I dont go to cafes no nomads I know do, you must be looking at backpackers on laptops and assuming they are something else. How could you possibly know if they live here or are just checking their emails

At any rate sounds like you need to hang out in more high end places

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are not blacklisted from entering the the country and your tourist visa is still valid.

You should perhaps trying entering the country at a friendly border crossing. Most from Laos are OK and Cambodia other than the Poi Pet crossing are OK.. I would not suggest a crossing from Malaysia.

UJ,

why avoid Malaysia?

Cheers

45 minutes ago, perthperson said:

You know a nomad that can actually afford 4G and does not live off noodle soup served from a street cart ? 

Amazing ! 

Do you know one who doesn't live better lives than those working day-jobs they hate for decades?  I have met ones who are millionaires.  And many who aren't today, will be next year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

Some young guys working online here sure does seem to provoke an emotional reaction in certain people. 

I have absolutely no problem with anyone working on line anywhere

just don't expect other people to foot the bill for your overheads, do

you actually have any idea, even roughly, how much it cost on a daily

basis to open the doors of even a small cafe;/restaurant?

I can only assume the little money that some of them may make would

not actually be sufficient to support a real business, but I can't be sure?

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  I wasted decades in jobs I hated.  But I am happy for those who were born later, and could get out of that routine when younger.  Others seem to see wasted-decades as a "right of passage" of some sort - like a hazing ritual, or something.

And too many of the young today see hard work as something older people used to do 

and why should they do it when sitting in front of a computer punching keys is way

easier, unfortunately laziness is the norm in far too many young people today, sad.

Edited by phuketjock
correction

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Do you know one who doesn't live better lives than those working day-jobs they hate for decades?  I have met ones who are millionaires.  And many who aren't today, will be next year.

I have met many who are most definitely not millionaires and almost all of

them were here last year and they were not millionaires then either, maybe 

next year then.

28 minutes ago, jspill said:

Some young guys working online here sure does seem to provoke an emotional reaction in certain people. 

I have nothing against people working on-line , though I do get tired of hearing them go on about it 

And the self labelled moniker "Digital nomad" is rather pretentious

I ve got nothing  against them (one myself actually), but they are like vegans and gays, always going on about it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Because the Thai loves Farang! 

I see many taxis with a sticker stating the very words, so it must be true.

They need us tourists. They can't live off rice exports!