Entry denied Bangkok Airport

3 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Almost, but it gave the impression that the overstayer would be turned away on entry to Laos, which is untrue.

I said....................

"However, Laos does not allow entry by air to those with overstay stamps in their passport." 

A simple FACTUAL  statement so why quibble about it ---- ? 

10 minutes ago, Kohphanganlover said:

didn't sign any paper in the detention room because I'm still looking for options how to solve the problem. 

Have you spoken to a supervisor (Senior Immigration Officer) and lodged a formal appeal against being denied entry?  I doubt there is any other (legal) means of resolving your problem.

6 hours ago, jspill said:

Yes just sent back to Laos. From many reports you don't even get a denied entry stamp at land borders, so you can just try again the next day, try a different border, or fly as a last resort. They don't detain you or deport you elsewhere (how could they). They're a lot more relaxed I know two guys with roughly the same visa history as OP who got in fine in the last month via Laos and Malaysia land borders.

I'm going to make the most of land border entries in the current climate, and avoid airports. Even though I recently did 9 months on visa exemptions in a row, then entered after that with a tourist visa, all at airports, and all this with a 2 year overstay stamp in my current passport. And in total 7.5 years in Thailand on a mix of tourist visas / exempts / ed visa / another 1.5 year overstay on an old passport, if they'd checked... I posted pics of my passport in a thread here.

So there's no coherent policy in my opinion, it's just a small number of IOs that actively want to deny people and abuse their power to do so. Because I was fine and so were many others. But you never know, so it's probably best to use the 2 land border entries per year. Apparently it's now limited to 2 per year but we haven't heard much about that apparent restriction since it came into effect, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get away with more than 2.

If you do use airports, look at the queues to see which ones are moving quickly, which IOs are letting through guys that look like you without questions, etc. And you can google 'bkk airport fast track' for $30 a rep meets you off the plane and walks you through the fast lane 'assisting with immigration documents', that can give you the appearance of having money. Another thaivisa poster who was denied entry and deported, used that service and got back in with no issues.

The sad part about some threads is that people actually believe what's being stated in them, creating paranoia and making some want to avoid airports.

Let us recap.

There is no legal limit to how many tourist visas you can get in a certain period of time.

Visa exempts get flagged at 6 and people continue to come in after a talk to a supervisor. That's in the airport. At land border they are much easier to be turned around and it is all more arbitrary. Remember when some people were told at land borders....go back and fly in?

Also, I would not advise anybody to play with the 2 visa exempt at land borders per year rule. I'm 100% sure that it will be enforced in all situations, no matter how nice the IO is or what explanation you may have, simply because that is a published rule and nobody will bend it.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kohphanganlover said:

Sorry I can't follow the thread so fast, because I need to reconnect the Internet often. I try to answer a few questions.

I first arrived with a METV issued in my country after that I stayed in the Philippines for more than a month. Returned to Bangkok on exempt stamp because there was no embassy around me in the Philippines. 
After that I stayed in 3 other countries always for around 1 week and got 4 Thai SETV. Between the SETV I went once to Cambodia per land and another time to Myanmar per land. 
Never overstayed.
 I don't have any criminal background, never had any problem with police. 

I didn't sign any paper in the detention room because I'm still looking for options how to solve the problem. 

So why not return on METV? Unless that one was finished already, so you had stayed in Thailand for 1+ year already?

Looking at this, I can understand the thinking that you have been working on Phangan. Can you show funds transferred into Thailand from abroad and/or ATM withdrawals of 40k plus per month?

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

So why not return on METV? Unless that one was finished already, so you had stayed in Thailand for 1+ year already?

Looking at this, I can understand the thinking that you have been working on Phangan. Can you show funds transferred into Thailand from abroad and/or ATM withdrawals of 40k plus per month?

He implies the initial METV was used/expired . A new METV can only be obtained from the OPs home country and it seems he has not been home for quite some time 

Sorry I can't follow the thread so fast, because I need to reconnect the Internet often. I try to answer a few questions.

I first arrived with a METV issued in my country after that I stayed in the Philippines for more than a month. Returned to Bangkok on exempt stamp because there was no embassy around me in the Philippines. 
After that I stayed in 3 other countries always for around 1 week and got 4 Thai SETV. Between the SETV I went once to Cambodia per land and another time to Myanmar per land. 
Never overstayed.

I didn't sign any paper in the detention room because I'm still looking for options how to solve the problem. 

What time period did this original METV, visa exempt entry and 4 SETVs encompass?

And how long in total were you in Thailand in the past year or two?

13 hours ago, jojothai said:

Maybe he had been allowed enough communications, and they took away his phone.

Do they really allow you to keep and use mobile phones unsupervised while you are in detention?

I doubt it. Do they want you stirring up things, taking photos and sending them outside,etc.

Difficult to see how people would  arrange onward flight  bookings (which is presumably what the authorities want them to be doing) without phone and internet access....

• Like 1

I'm still looking for options how to solve the problem. 

thanks for keeping us updated with some background info and what is going on with you right now.  one of us or a friend could end up in your situation and it helps us all to know how to manage it.

what is so important for you to stay in thailand right now ?  can't you leave and then comeback next month ?  if you've rented a place long term, call your landlord and let them know you'll be out of town and late with rent.  if they don't like that, arrange to wire the rent to their account or a friend in thailand who can pay it for you.

as i stated previously, i stayed roughly 8 months a year for 10 yrs on tourist visas and visa exempt entries.  but i turned 50 and got the extension of stay for retirement this year.  i did get stopped by immigration about 5 years into that 10 yrs (told to use more tourist visas less visa exempts).  i went to my home country at least once a year (usually twice) and got tourist visas there.  a home visit will do alot in terms of 'clearing your record'.

18 minutes ago, buick said:

thanks for keeping us updated with some background info and what is going on with you right now.  one of us or a friend could end up in your situation and it helps us all to know how to manage it.

what is so important for you to stay in thailand right now ?  can't you leave and then comeback next month ?  if you've rented a place long term, call your landlord and let them know you'll be out of town and late with rent.  if they don't like that, arrange to wire the rent to their account or a friend in thailand who can pay it for you.

as i stated previously, i stayed roughly 8 months a year for 10 yrs on tourist visas and visa exempt entries.  but i turned 50 and got the extension of stay for retirement this year.  i did get stopped by immigration about 5 years into that 10 yrs (told to use more tourist visas less visa exempts).  i went to my home country at least once a year (usually twice) and got tourist visas there.  a home visit will do alot in terms of 'clearing your record'.

14 minutes ago, buick said:

"i went to my home country at least once a year (usually twice) and got tourist visas there.  a home visit will do alot in terms of 'clearing your record'. this is an interesting statement. in it's entirety not relevant to the OP's predicament who I personally think has been a bit hard done by, but I want to see what peoples thoughts are so will open this as a new topic and see Id there's any response

It would appear the OPs problem is only spending 1 week out of Thailand, believe it or not the Ios are not stupid as many would have you to believe. Before it was visa runs and now it is leave and stay out a few days not to draw attention. Well those days appear to be over. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

"i went to my home country at least once a year (usually twice) and got tourist visas there.  a home visit will do alot in terms of 'clearing your record'. this is an interesting statement. in it's entirety not relevant to the OP's predicament who I personally think has been a bit hard done by, but I want to see what peoples thoughts are so will open this as a new topic and see Id there's any response

you can never get 100% agreement on this site (or even 80% ??!!).  but i think it is generally accepted that staying for long periods in thailand on SETV's from your home country is better than doing so with SETV's from consulates in surrounding areas.  especially, if you are using airports as your entry point (they seem to be more strict than land borders).  it appears the OP wants to continue to stay in thailand, otherwise he'd just fly home and forget about it.  so he need to fly home, stay a month, get a new SETV, and return.  given what just happened to him, i'd return via a land border despite my comments above.

40 minutes ago, perthperson said:

He implies the initial METV was used/expired . A new METV can only be obtained from the OPs home country and it seems he has not been home for quite some time 

"He implies the initial METV was used/expired ."

Which means he has stayed in Thailand a long time. A new METV or not is not important, it is the fact he has stayed here a long time, therefor giving the impression to be working here. A pity you did not react to the part of my post that was most important, but choose to react with something insignificant (can only be obtained in home country).

From this, plus the 4x SETV's, I can easily understand the IO got the impression he has been working here. And unless OP can prove he has transferred money into Thailand or withdrawn form an ATM consistently I also come to that conclusion, and feel an appeal stands not chance.

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

From this, plus the 4x SETV's, I can easily understand the IO got the impression he has been working here. And unless OP can prove he has transferred money into Thailand or withdrawn form an ATM consistently I also come to that conclusion, and feel an appeal stands not chance.

So, OP. 

The money you spend in Thailand on your visits the past 1,5 year or so. 

Where do you have them from? Savings in your home country?

- Did you transfer them to a bank account in Thailand?
- Did you take it out from ATM's here in Thailand?
- Bring it in cash? (Then it must show on a bank statements from the Netherlands right?)

If you can prove either of those, that should be used to show the supervisor at Immigration, or at a appeal. 

If i was me, i would fly to Malaysia, Singapore or Vietnam, and then prepare that kind of proof where your funds are from. Travel back into Thailand again. In case that they ask you again - Show the cash, Onward ticket, proff where your funds is from (One of above). You could return in a day or two with bulletproof documentation, that you are not working in Thailand.

I think that's faster, than waiting for an appeal. And if you can proff this on your second entry, they should let you in.

OP

have you been denied before ?

have you worked in thailand before as english teacher or anything else ? 

how many times this year & last year have you visited thailand and for how long

have you ever had overstays ?

what is your job in your home country ?

do you have a criminal record or anything that the thai autorities would have on you for instance ? 

have you ever been arrested in thailand ?

have you been stopped and questioned by immigratioon anytime in thailand before ? 

this seems unbelievable to happen to someone  " legit "  who has all the proper paperwork and visa in order i just cannot believe that the thai immigration would do this unless the OP is suspected of something .

seems very very wrong & unfair if they did !! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

OP

have you been denied before ?

have you worked in thailand before as english teacher or anything else ? 

how many times this year & last year have you visited thailand and for how long

have you ever had overstays ?

what is your job in your home country ?

do you have a criminal record or anything that the thai autorities would have on you for instance ? 

have you ever been arrested in thailand ?

have you been stopped and questioned by immigratioon anytime in thailand before ? 

this seems unbelievable to happen to someone  " legit "  who has all the proper paperwork and visa in order i just cannot believe that the thai immigration would do this unless the OP is suspected of something .

seems very very wrong & unfair if they did !! 

see post 260, he answered a number of these.  another response from him gave age as 38, netherlands citizen.  it appears the OP was stopped due to suspicion of working in thailand/too many back to back SETV's. 

Sometimes the pattern of Visas / Exempts also rouses suspicion. I knew a guy who taught here for at least 10 years on tourist Visas and exempts. The pattern in his passport was quite obvious, Visa just before school semester starts, after final extension or entry, an exempt run on a non-school day like a Sunday to Cambodia. Over and over again the same type of timing. Many more like him. Even where he had a few days left on Visa/Exempt entry, he would make a run on the nearest non school day to get another 30 days. They are starting to see the light.

4 hours ago, lkv said:

The sad part about some threads is that people actually believe what's being stated in them, creating paranoia and making some want to avoid airports.

Let us recap.

There is no legal limit to how many tourist visas you can get in a certain period of time.

Visa exempts get flagged at 6 and people continue to come in after a talk to a supervisor. That's in the airport. At land border they are much easier to be turned around and it is all more arbitrary. Remember when some people were told at land borders....go back and fly in?

Also, I would not advise anybody to play with the 2 visa exempt at land borders per year rule. I'm 100% sure that it will be enforced in all situations, no matter how nice the IO is or what explanation you may have, simply because that is a published rule and nobody will bend it.

I personally know half a dozen or so of the guys reported on thaivisa to have been recently denied entry at airports. I'm not 'believing' it, I know it's happening.

Yes I know there's no legal limit, and about the 6 exempts flagging, and the land borders (that's mostly Poipet, I never use that border), I'm still in favour of land border + tourist visa right now. This recent uptick in denials at airports is anomalous. Denials with only about a year's stay, well under 6 exempts... none in fact, most of the duration of their stay on an METV.

Things might change later, Thais can't seem to hold a job for very long so if this is just a few angry IOs maybe they'll move on at some point in the near future and then airports will be better than land borders. But there's no way airports are better right now.

Paranoia isn't justified, it's still a small risk, but if it does happen it's a nightmare having to buy a last minute flight ticket somewhere, sit in the deportation room etc.,  I'd much prefer just being turned around at a land border.

Edited by jspill

5 minutes ago, jspill said:

I personally know half a dozen or so of the guys reported on thaivisa to have been recently denied entry at airports. I'm not 'believing' it, I know it's happening.

Yes I know there's no legal limit, and about the 6 exempts flagging, and the land borders (that's mostly Poipet, I never use that border), I'm still in favour of land border + tourist visa right now. This recent uptick in denials at airports is anomalous. Denials with only about a year's stay, well under 6 exempts... none in fact, most of the duration of their stay on an METV.

Things might change later, Thais can't seem to hold a job for very long so if this is just a few angry IOs maybe they'll move on at some point in the near future and then airports will be better than land borders. But there's no way airports are better right now.

Paranoia isn't justified, it's still a small risk, but if it does happen it's a nightmare having to buy a last minute flight ticket somewhere, sit in the deportation room etc.,  I'd much prefer just being turned around at a land border.

And then again, you yourself had no issues with endless visa exempts, based on your previous posts.

So if you personally know these people, and you may have spoken to them, can you share more details on why they were refused entry?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lkv said:

Visa exempts get flagged at 6 and people continue to come in after a talk to a supervisor. That's in the airport.

This I can not confirm - as written a few pages earlier I'm coming with Visa exempts (arrive by plane, walk to immigration, get a stamp inside my passport and can stay 30 days) since several years to Thailand, always via Suvarnabhum Airport. I never had any issue.

I do this for at least 3-4 years now and I always stay between 10 and 15 days (never longer) and then return to Europe for my business/work. In 2016 I entered Thailand 10 times that way, in 2017 already 5 or 6 times and stayed in total around 60 days in Thailand between Jan 1 and July 1 this year.

Not sure about the procedure but if there would be an automatic "flag" I would have been flagged many times already. But never ever.

Edited by lemonwaterjoe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mvdf said:

Dishonest? Thailand's authorities are within their rights to deny anyone entry into the country if there is reasonable suspicion of an abuse or potential abuse of immigration privileges! Back to back multiple tourist visas for an extended continuous period of time is a strong indicator of such an abuse, regardless of proof of funds and onward travel. Western countries would have reasonable suspicion too if we Asians were to travel in and out on back to back tourist visas. Even embassies would strongly suspect something amiss if we were to stay in the country for 18 months! That's simply and obviously not what a bona fide tourist does!

If you read what I was responding to, it was dishonest, because they rejected him based on "working illegally" - which they had no evidence / probable-cause - while they told him he was really being rejected for "too many tourist visas" - which is NOT a cause for rejection.

This assumes the story of the OP is correct, of course - but follows a pattern others have reported - IOs claiming some sort of tourist-visa limit which is NOT law - though in the other cases, the posters were only questioned, but allowed in.

And, again, this is not a Western country - and Westerners are not flocking here in droves to seek employment.  Apples and Oranges.  Western countries are being flooded by people with No Money (and usually no skills) coming to drain-wealth from citizens - the Exact Opposite of what visitors from the West to Thailand are doing.

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If you read what I was responding to, it was dishonest, because they rejected him based on "working illegally" - which they had no evidence / probable-cause - while they told him he was really being rejected for "too many tourist visas" - which is NOT a cause for rejection.

This assumes the story of the OP is correct, of course - but follows a pattern others have reported - IOs claiming some sort of tourist-visa limit which is NOT law - though in the other cases, the posters were only questioned, but allowed in.

And, again, this is not a Western country - and Westerners are not flocking here in droves to seek employment.  Apples and Oranges.  Western countries are being flooded by people with No Money (and usually no skills) coming to drain-wealth from citizens - the Exact Opposite of what visitors from the West to Thailand are doing.

Disagree, there is IMO probable cause he was working here.

On top of that, you keep on hammering about the money, even though for many people it is about the life style, not the money.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The country is absolutely rife with foreigners working here on Tourist visas. You should get on some of the Facebook visa groups and check the profiles of some asking about renewing visas. They don't even care about hiding the fact.

6 hours ago, Kohphanganlover said:

Never overstayed.

looks all good but something set off alarms / bells for immigration.

What time period did this original METV, visa exempt entry and 4 SETVs encompass?

METV  is good for at Least 6 months and if used correctly ( with extensions)  almost 9 months

1 month in PI

1 exempt stamp  1 month

4 setvs is another 8 months apx

So they assume ur working as the METV to be issued u need show ur working..

Can u prove u have had money wired to u anywhere or any bank account overseas?

Edited by phuketrichard

1 hour ago, lkv said:

And then again, you yourself had no issues with endless visa exempts, based on your previous posts.

So if you personally know these people, and you may have spoken to them, can you share more details on why they were refused entry?

It's statistics, you can get lucky or not. 

But if you get unlucky at airports you have to spend a ton of money on a last minute flight, to home country if you're unlucky, and 700/day in detention room which you might have to sit in for hours, then you have a denied entry stamp and no idea if you're going to be able to get in next time. 

If you get unlucky at land border you just get turned around... try again next day, or a new border, or fly as a last resort. Often you don't even get a denied entry stamp. And you can come through land borders with a visa to avoid the 2 visa exempt entries per year limit. And just avoid the worst borders like Poipet. 

Seems a pretty simple choice to me? 

Most of the guys I know didn't have the 20k cash and they spent very little time out between each trip, like 3 days in Cambodia each time, mix of exempts and SETVs. I spent 2 - 3 weeks out each time, mixed up the countries, and I get a good sense for the IO in my queue, watch what he's doing and change queue if needed.

But now we read threads like this where the guy had the cash and has spent a month outside Thailand... and I know of one other guy who like OP had an METV but still got denied. I don't know this OP, it may be a troll but he did post a pic of a convincing looking door. I'd still like to see pic of denied entry stamp and his other passport stamps, with personal info edited out.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, somethingnice said:

If i was me, i would fly to Malaysia, Singapore or Vietnam, and then prepare that kind of proof where your funds are from. Travel back into Thailand again. In case that they ask you again - Show the cash, Onward ticket, proff where your funds is from (One of above). You could return in a day or two with bulletproof documentation, that you are not working in Thailand.

I think that's faster, than waiting for an appeal. And if you can proff this on your second entry, they should let you in.

I hear where you are coming from, but I don't think it is a matter of proving anything to these IOs - I doubt they really believe he is 'working' here - because they blew their credibility with the "no cash and no ATM game."  This appears to be about some subset of them thinking there "should be a law" restricting entry for "too many tourist visas" (what they purportedly said to him and others). 

Now let's say they do have a real-suspicion of his working-illegally.  If they hadn't played the "can't go to the ATM" game with so many - rejecting their entry for "not having cash" - we might be inclined to think they had pure-motives.  Given the context, suspicion (common sense, really) goes the other way.

I would also probably leave rather than appeal, but just come back at a land-border - having learned my lesson about airports.  Maybe after picking up a new passport at my Embassy in a neighboring country, to make it easier to get new Tourist Visas without whatever the Airport IOs will write in it - assuming they don't force him to fly 'home'.

40 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Disagree, there is IMO probable cause he was working here.

On top of that, you keep on hammering about the money, even though for many people it is about the life style, not the money.

I would need to see some evidence he was working here.  If that evidence should present itself - maybe pics/video of him doing so - then, sure.   But then, why not bust him working-illegally, prosecute to the fullest-extent, and set an example of him and the person who hired him?  What is coming out of this is not a good example, and someone who might have hired him can chuckle and hire another illegal-worker in his place. 

I absolutely agree with enforcing the law against foreigners taking jobs from natives - few things are more cruel than stripping away people's birthright to provide for themselves and their families in their own nation.

As to money - the vast-majority of people moving to the West from poorer nations come for economic reasons - not lifestyle.  Many even try to re-create their old-lifestyle when they arrive - because they prefer their own culture and traditions to their new host-country. 

OTOH, most Westerners coming to Thailand do come for the lifestyle - because they already have money - and make Thailand richer by doing so.  Thailand, being somewhat in 'the middle' of the economic-scale, also has many economic-migrants who drive down wages and take Thai jobs - but 99% come from neighboring nations, whose citizens have fewer restrictions on entry to Thailand - not more.

• Like 2

Just now, jspill said:

It's statistics, you can get lucky or not.

But if you get unlucky at airports you have to spend a ton of money on a last minute flight, to home country if you're unlucky, and 700/day in detention room which you might have to sit in for hours, then you have a denied entry stamp and no idea if you're going to be able to get in next time. 

If you get unlucky at land border you just get turned around... try again next day, or a new border, or fly as a last resort. Often you don't even get a denied entry stamp. And you can come through land borders with a visa to avoid the 2 visa exempt entries per year limit. 

Seems a pretty simple choice to me? 

Most of the guys I know didn't have the 20k cash and they spent very little time out between each trip, like 3 days in Cambodia each time, mix of exempts and SETVs. 

But now we read threads like this where the guy had the cash and has spent a month outside Thailand... and I know of one other guy who like OP had an METV but still got denied. I don't know this OP, it may be a troll but he did post a pic of a convincing looking door. I'd still like to see pic of denied entry stamp and his other passport stamps, with personal info edited out. 

But all things considered I'm going with land borders right now. If you prefer airports by all means go ahead

There are plenty of other denials to be read about in other places. For no other reason than too many Tourist visas then denial of entry being used under the suspicion of working.

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There are plenty of other denials to be read about in other places. For no other reason than too many Tourist visas then denial of entry being used under the suspicion of working.

Still gonna be tons of people getting lucky, or getting smarter, trying new strategies, you're never going to see the back of us nomads :) And it's still a tiny % of nomads to begin with. I just want to lower my risk from tiny to near-zero.