Strange problem after 'update settings' when shut down

alphason

Yesterday I was prompted by Win10 to review some settings in preperation for the next update, I don't think I changed anything, not sure if this is anyhting to do with my problem. But that evening I shut down as normal and it booted up and worked as normal the next morning (today).

About once a week I run CCleaner to empty out the junk, I did this today AM, when it went to restart windows said something about it was updating some settings, it waited maybe 5-10 minutes then restarted, the reboot process seemed normal it did not seem to install anything new.

But when opening Firefox I could not connect to any pages, either waiting or performing a TLS handshake. My dropox app looked like it connected though. I tried Edge browser with the same results. Did another restart but came back exactly the same. As my Internet connection is working I thought there must be something blocking it, So I tried to open avast to temporarily disable it, but it will not open, I also could not close it in task manager.. So next I used the repair function of avast. Whilst it was running the Internet suddenly started up and the avast control panel I could not open earlier came up. I let avast repair itself then restarted again. Still the same problem, no Internet can not open Avast, again after about 10 minutes or so avast suddenly opened and my Internet was again working.

No idea what to try next, any help appreciated - thanks.

Some update...

I have run avast anti virus and also Malwarebytes anti malware they are both clean.

Removed a few old programs I no longer need and updated a couple of others.

System seems to be running slow at times hanging for example I can open an app and it does not open right away, then a few minutes later it will just open up. Getting a lot of 'not responding' quite often.

I used the Win 10 troubleshooting and it said no maintenance or updates were required.

In the apps & features there is a program installed yesterday - Windows 10 update & privacy settings 2.11MB 11 July, not sure if this is connected but I maybe could remove it and see? What about running the registry cleaner in CCleaner?

Edited by alphason

Seems ok now, think it was to do with windows updates.

It did some updating on the next shutdown, but did not seem to do anything more on the restart. Later it started to install some update, quite a few and ater it had finished I could see that it tried earlier but failed to do it.