Immigration Bureau warns of dismissal for tea money collection

webfact

Immigration Bureau warns of dismissal for tea money collection

By Thai PBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-12-11h16m12s085.png

Immigration Bureau today issued an order forbidding immigration police at all border checkpoints to demand tea money from tourists, with warning that violator will face dismissal.

The order came after the bureau commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Nattathorn Prohsunthorn led a team of immigration police from the Immigration Bureau 6 based in Songkhla to inspect the Sadao immigration checkpoint in a fact-finding mission following complaints that tea money was collected from tourists to facilitate their entries to Thailand from Malaysia.

He ordered the relocation of the problem immigration checkpoint to the new office building while also ordered the installation of more CCTV cameras to monitor the working of immigration police closely.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/immigration-bureau-warns-dismissal-tea-money-collection/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-12

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the subject, can someone clear up whether immigration are entitled to charge for a letter of residence or not. I know I have paid every time, but have read somewhere that it's supposed to be free.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

While we're on the subject, can someone clear up whether immigration are entitled to charge for a letter of residence or not. I know I have paid every time, but have read somewhere that it's supposed to be free.

"free" only refers to the choice of payment method: credit card or cash

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you mean the notification of stay (where you have to register your adress,  after entering Thailand again,  for example after a visa run)... Then yes..  It should be,  and is free of charge.

13 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

If you mean the notification of stay (where you have to register your adress,  after entering Thailand again,  for example after a visa run)... Then yes..  It should be,  and is free of charge.

No, I mean the letter supplied by immigration that is required by Motor Transport before you can get a drivers licence.

What does Sign displayed on front of Counter say... ???? In above picture...

Does this tell us, that afterhours they will charge "Tea Money" ???

Sign says:

"No other Fees charged in passing this Border"

>>>>>>>>>(During Office Hours)<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Edited by davidstipek

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How about not just restricting it to immigration ?

If it goes right across the board INCLUDING the B.I.B. then we might see progress.

How about not just restricting it to immigration at all border checkpoints!  Then, we might see progress.

I think you're clutching at straws with the inclusion of the BiB.

what about immigration offices being given the same orders about collecting tea money . the last time i visited an office the tea money box was stuffed with 1000 baht notes until the officer emptied it to make way for more 1000 baht notes .when shared out this must be an enormous bonus on top of salary and untaxed

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, I mean the letter supplied by immigration that is required by Motor Transport before you can get a drivers licence.

Had to get mine for renewing the driving licenses, but from the Amphur office not Immigration and free..... except for the pain gettingit!!!

Just now, DPKANKAN said:

Had to get mine for renewing the driving licenses, but from the Amphur office not Immigration and free..... except for the pain gettingit!!!

In Pattaya it's always obtained through immigration.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You might also like to know that Immigration is under no obligation to provide "letters of residence" and some offices decline to do so. 

Obtaining such a letter from your Embassy is likely to prove very expensive,

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

You might also like to know that Immigration is under no obligation to provide "letters of residence" and some offices decline to do so. 

Maybe they only provide it because it's lucrative to do so. I know that immigration in Pattaya has been providing the letter for the 8 years I've been here. No one has answered the question whether they are within their rights to charge for it. Not sure why an embassy would have anything to do with it, they aren't involved in keeping tabs on you.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Just got one at the US embassy,
Do you consider $50 to be very expensive?
I think half would be better, but that is probably me remembering the days of yore. 

Just now, Bill Miller said:

I think half would be better, but that is probably me remembering the days of yore. 

Cheaper at immigration !  For many travel costs involved in accessing the Embassy would also need to be added .

2 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Did you ask at an immigration office? Everyone who gets a drivers licence in Pattaya gets their letter from immigration. Can't remember the cost, around 500 baht I think.

Edited by giddyup

Just now, giddyup said:

Did you ask at an immigration office? Everyone who gets a drivers licence in Pattaya gets their letter from immigration.

I had to go for my income affidavit, so figured I would do the address one at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Visa Fixers/Agents out of business now ? 

My guess is that their business is likely to boom instead.  

Unlike the general public, they're able to pass tea money on camera without any incriminating discussion or arguments- they know the drill.

And without tea money to grease the skids, I can foresee a lot more rejections, sending the rejected to a fixer.  Could be a bonanza for them.

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How about not just restricting it to immigration ?

If it goes right across the board INCLUDING the B.I.B. then we might see progress.

there have been orders like this across the board. it is standard operating procedure to issue these warnings and then to ignore them. remember when the cops offered a reward to anyone reporting cops accepting bribes. however  the cops kept the rewards, no one was surprised.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The letter *is* free, but there's *no* chance of getting a "free" letter quickly [with a a day/week or three]   - unfortunately, the Immigration Police have invented an expedited service, where you can get the letter in a day-or-two.  -- You are asked to pay for the expedited service, although you will *never* receive a receipt for your payment (of typically B500).

Anyone recall the last time any Immigration police officer was prosecuted or even dismissed from civil service for accepting bribes?

Even the guys who supposedly/allegedly facilitated the Erawan terrorist bombers entry into and out of the country for good sized payments were never formally prosecuted, AFAIK/AFAIR.