Here’s where Thailand ranked in a study on the world’s laziest countries

snoop1130

Could be higher if and only if, dragging your feet wasn't account for as "a step".

Fairly useless "study" to begin with. Sure, 5 steps more to your car or not add up too, but whatever you do with the rest of those 23.9h of the day are much more relevant, especially if the target "correlation" is to be obesity. Nevermind that lifting weights nets you +/- 0 steps but has much more to show for, not that it was mentioned or taken into account whatsoever.

Of course there is also the climate to account for, when I was in Vegas I was walking some 3 miles to some place, started sweating about half way through, rested for just about a minute and the sweat stopped on the spot and good to go, no refreshments needed. Way different story for Thailand, once you start sweating, you are f'd for the next 20 minutes sitting down.

It's a pity the inference is that walking is an unpleasant chore. It's very enjoyable even in sweaty Thailand as long as you are not in work clothes. Thais in Bangkok walk quite a lot, but in other towns hardly at all. I'll put in 10 000 steps on a Sunday just walking to a few places to pick up some sundries. It's estimated that the poet Wordsworth walked 170 000 miles in his lifetime, but humans have gone soft since Victorian times.

More meaningless pseudo-scientific twaddle, hard on the heels of yesterday's nonsense about coffee drinkers living longer. They'll be telling us next that climate change is all our fault. Twerps.

23 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Analyzed information from Smartphones?? I don't see how the number of steps taken can equate to laziness.  Too many outside factors. If I only have to walk a short distance to a strenuous job, it does not mean I am lazy.   In fact the subheading is; US scientists have conducted a (study) into the world fittest and least fittest countries.   It appears the person writing the story for Thai Visa chose to substitute the word Laziest for Fittest.  Not necessarily  one and the same.

It also depends on who they're studying.  That is, only people who have whatever smartphone app that tracks one's steps.  It could be that in some countries, the more-fit people tend to have these, while in others, it's the people who need to work out the most, in which case it's hardly fair to compare an athlete who could walk/run for miles to someone just now starting to try to get off the couch and for whom the current limit is going around the block.

4 hours ago, Ceruhe said:

Could be higher if and only if, dragging your feet wasn't account for as "a step".

Fairly useless "study" to begin with. Sure, 5 steps more to your car or not add up too, but whatever you do with the rest of those 23.9h of the day are much more relevant, especially if the target "correlation" is to be obesity. Nevermind that lifting weights nets you +/- 0 steps but has much more to show for, not that it was mentioned or taken into account whatsoever.

Of course there is also the climate to account for, when I was in Vegas I was walking some 3 miles to some place, started sweating about half way through, rested for just about a minute and the sweat stopped on the spot and good to go, no refreshments needed. Way different story for Thailand, once you start sweating, you are f'd for the next 20 minutes sitting down.

Yes, I don't mind walking as long as I don't have a bunch of stuff to carry.

Of course, others make a point about climate and walkability.  Here it is always warm and I can walk places.  Where I lived in the U.S., I obviously did less walking when for at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the year I had to do so freezing my arse off slogging through snow and slush in 50 pounds of winter clothing and boots, perhaps while snow was also falling (possibly hard at times).  Also, here I can walk to work and the grocery store and public transportation.  In the U.S. the grocery store was a couple miles (doable but when lugging a ton of groceries, not that much fun), and work and family and most of my activities were in other cities, and the scarce public transportation was barely worth the effort.  Yup, I walk a lot more here than I did there.  Has nothing to do with whether I was more lazy there, though.

The UK seems to be up there with fittest by walking a lot which is easier in cool climates, but regarding fitness does'nt seem to back this walking up, when you see the fat slobs and beer gutted men, we seem to breed in the UK at present (says he of the sylph like build) LOL!

I don't know about this survey  being that accurate. I have been to Thailand since the 90s, and seeing

obese Thais is a lot more rare than seeing obese tourists., travellers, and Farangs in Thailand or

other parts of Asia.  I have been to the USA many times and have seen far more obese, and seriously obese

people there.  In parts of Canada I have seen many obese people as well.  At least in Thailand with the hot weather

people can and do get out and walk for shopping, and other reasons, even some for exercise.  So I would say that

obese people come from all over the world, and can be seen all over the world.  At least along the oceans at the beaches

I have seen lots of people walking for all sorts of reasons, and this helps their general health a tiny bit, this includes

a lot of the Thai people as well as the foreignors.

Geezer

Thais don't walk - as someone above pointed out it's too hot. Hence the stories of how much the motorbike is used on short journeys.  If people wish to raise Thailand through the ranks of this nonsensical study, I suggest everyone takes a trip to a local superstore.  By meandering about (no need to spend) you can galvanise ten or a dozen assistants into following you around. Repeat daily until said assistants collapse with exhaustion.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Thais don't walk - as someone above pointed out it's too hot. Hence the stories of how much the motorbike is used on short journeys.  If people wish to raise Thailand through the ranks of this nonsensical study, I suggest everyone takes a trip to a local superstore.  By meandering about (no need to spend) you can galvanise ten or a dozen assistants into following you around. Repeat daily until said assistants collapse with exhaustion.

clever.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:53 PM, colinneil said:

What a load of nonsense, somebody with to much time on their hands, and probably been given a large grant so they had to come up with something to justify their time.

Study funded by NIH the largest public funder of biomedical research in the world, investing more than $32 billion a year to enhance life, and reduce illness and disability? NIH funded research has led to breakthroughs and new treatments, helping people live longer, healthier lives, and building the research foundation that drives discovery. 

On 7/13/2017 at 11:11 AM, ravip said:

" international study" ??? - Really???

The study analyzed 68 million days of minute-by-minute step recordings from 717,527 anonymous users of the smartphone app (Argus http://www.azumio.com/s/argus/index.html). Participation spanned 111 countries, but the researchers focused their study on 46 countries, each with at least 1,000 users.